Montis speaker placement and power

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zaidman

Reaction score
Hi there,

I've got a pair of Montis that I love. I just got some bookshelves that I've placed behind my speakers as per the photo. Will that negatively impact sound?

IMG_1620.JPG

Also I have an Equitech son of Q line conditioner. It has filtered, unfiltered and GCFI plugs. Which ones should I plug my speakers into? I heard that line conditioners can limit current to the Montis and that it would be not be good for sound.

C

Last edited:
Hi Zaidman, It doesn't look like the bookshelves would present any problem. Theoretically, the backwave from the panel should zoom right past your bookshelves and hit that window behind, which could cause problems by being too reflective, but it looks like the window is far enough behind your speakers that your setup would be OK. You might want to experiment with spreading the red curtain so that it catches the backwave to see how that sounds. I would also experiment with toe-in and see if you can find an angle that results in particularly good sound.

The argument about using a power conditioner with amps is an old one and there are people adamant that you should or shouldn't. The Montis has a 200 watt class D amp which only drives the one woofer so I don't think it would be a power hog. A lot would depend on how much current the conditioner can output, what else you've got plugged into it, etc. Get a bass heavy album and just listen with and without the conditioner, that's really the best way to tell which is better. Our opinions are a distant second.

Last edited:
Hi Zaidman, It doesn't look like the bookshelves would present any problem. Theoretically, the backwave from the panel should zoom right past your bookshelves and hit that window behind, which could cause problems by being too reflective, but it looks like the window is far enough behind your speakers that your setup would be OK. You might want to experiment with spreading the red curtain so that it catches the backwave to see how that sounds. I would also experiment with toe-in and see if you can find an angle that results in particularly good sound.

The argument about using a power conditioner with amps is an old one and there are people adamant that you should or shouldn't. The Montis has a 200 watt class D amp which only drives the one woofer so I don't think it would be a power hog. A lot would depend on how much current the conditioner can output, what else you've got plugged into it, etc. Get a bass heavy album and just listen with and without the conditioner, that's really the best way to tell which is better. Our opinions are a distant second.

Agreed …………..

Latest posts

Back