Hunting season closed permanently?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Introduction:

All mammals other than most humans hunt to survive, so do some non-mammals, for instance insects ( spider, praying mantis etc.), fish ( sharks, piranha etc.)and birds ( eagles, falcons, hawks etc. ).To single out cats for such mean punishment as euthanasia is very unfair. I have seven adult felines and they catch total on average three birds in a quarter of year. They bring the prey to our porch and consume the bird there. They also catch mice and garden lizards. Whatever they catch they most of the time consume.

Body:

Cats are part of nature's food chain. Food chain is nature's system of checks and balances that regulates population of each living creature in a ecosystem. I hate to say this whenever ecosystem suffers not because one living creature hunts greater number of prey but rather mankind is responsible for introducing into the ecosystem equation from outside living creatures that were not part of the original mix. Introduction of new predatory species in a closed ecosystem upsets the nature system of checks and balances and may wipe out some species in that closed ecosystem.

More specifically in England many people in towns and farms in suburbs keep cats as pets. I doubt that well fed cats catch enough birds, their natural diet, to be a danger to bird population. Not easy for cats to catch birds because they can easily fly up in the air at the earliest hint of danger to their lives. Over three decades, I have seen my cats fail many many times whenever they try to catch wild birds in our garden. In addition because we have seven cats, sensing danger, not many birds visit our garden. Believe me birds are very difficult prey for cats to catch frequently.

Conclusion:

I do not believe that bird population is in danger of extinction due to hunting instincts of pet cats.
Cats only kill to survive by consuming prey. Felines catch birds infrequently.

The above short essay expresses my subjective views on the issue that cats are killers and are decimating the bird population.

You couldn't be more wrong. Wild cats- here in the US being bobcats, mountain lions or lynx are a part of "natures food chain" as you say. But the cats that my neighbors own and feral cats as well, like those discussed in the article are not wild cats, and thus have no place in "natures food chain". If they are a part of nature, tell me where one goes to see Persian or Siamese cats in the wild? They are domesticated pets, and as such, they are not a part of the natural food chain like sharks, falcons and the others you mentioned.

I also don't believe in the euthanasia of cats that come into my yard. When they are hunting in my yard, a single well placed bullet seems to do the trick. And no, they are not killing to survive, they are killing purely because that is what they do. They are fed out of a bowl in the morning, let outside the house to roam, and then come onto our property to kill other animals, purely out of instinct. If you think it's mean to euthanize a cat, you must have never seen a small rabbit or other animal that has been just played with by a cat and then left to die of its wounds, I have seen plenty of them. I have no problem with people owning cats, just don't have them come onto my property, I prefer my wildlife. When I want a cat in my yard, I will go purchase my own. Again, with all due respect, you know quite literally "nothing" about this subject as your ignorance on it easily shows.

You've gotta be kidding. Cows, sheep, goats, elephants, deer, bison and many may more graze.

I was making use of poetic license when I stated all mammals hunt. What I should have said that all mammals search for food to eat. Or I should have added the word "most" mammals hunt.

However a mistake is a mistake. Thanks for clarification. Will help to prevent readers from being mislead.

Thanks once again.

Latest posts

Back