Hunting season closed permanently?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rehan Azim Hashmi

MLO Supporter
Reaction score
Hunting season closed permanently?

Every hunting season many living creatures get killed and that too not to fill hunger but just for sport or fun. Man has abused his authority as a top of the food chain mammal. The monotheistic religions Islam and Judaism may not have much in common with Hindu religion. However for whatever reason right or wrong it may seem to us the Indians at least take care of four footed mammals. I know I may get hate mail but every year especially on a occasion millions of camels, buffalos, cows and goats get axed. In other parts of the world turkeys get the axe by the millions.

Edible four-footed mammals and birds are kept under lock and key often under hostile conditions. They are living after all. What crime have they committed that they should be in the millions bred for slaughter globally and annually? Mammals and birds are living creatures that feel pain, reproduce and take care of their young until they are old enough to somewhat defend themselves.

This lack of respect or value for life of living creatures other than humans and their ecosystem has led to the extinction of many creatures. And a horrible life for mammals bred for slaughter. Man just does not care. What is required is a large amount of sensitivity for life of all living creatures including humans and taking care of their valid concerns in everyday life.

After all this is the role of a welfare state, on a macro level to take care of the residents in a country. A welfare state arranges and incurs expenditures that are too large for a single person to make from deducted tax money. Large expenditures such as building hydroelectric, solar, wind and nuclear plants, roads, free university education, free medical treatment, police, fire fighters and courts to provide justice, all help to take care of nationals of a welfare state.

Are we as individuals comfortably numb to the valid concerns of others around us other than family and friends and selfishly focused only on our own self interests? The answer may be in the affirmative. The government in a welfare state tries to take care of us. However who takes care of living creatures other than humans that may be perceived to be autistic compared to normal humans. These other living beings are unable to take care of themselves as their ecosystem gets destroyed by man directly through encroachment and pollution. We need to be more sensitive to the misery or plight of disfranchised mammals. Therefore make a change now and make only vegetables, fruit and grains part of diet.

Should all living creatures be protected from harm? What is your opinion?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm far more worried about the radical Islamic a-holes running around this country (and the world for that matter) killing innocent humans than closing 'hunting season', oh and BTW……… I love venison !

Therefore make a change now and make only vegetables, fruit and grains part of diet.

Whether your belief is that a higher power is responsible for your creation or instead your existence was totally done through evolution from the primordial soup, either way, wouldn't we have the teeth of an herbivore, if we were supposed to just eat those foods listed? Instead, our teeth indicate we were made to be omnivores.

Where I live, colonization wiped out the mountain lions, wolves and native Americans , which kept the deer population numbers in balance in the local area. If not for state licensed hunting, many deer, would starve to death during the winter. I don't see how a well placed bullet, with the meat harvested for consumption, is not a better option than just letting them starve during a brutal winter because they have grossly over eaten the available food source, which not only effects their population, but the population of many other game and non-game animals as well. But I am a believer in the humane treatment of animals, so perhaps our disagreement would be in our definition of humane. Just my 2 cents.

After a business meeting many years ago, I went with a bunch of guys to a wonderful Alsation restaurant in the Virginia countryside, and we were joined by one guy who was a vegetarian. He asked if he could have a vegetarian plate (not on the menu), and the restaurant was glad to oblige. When his meal was placed in front of him he said he could not eat a number of the vegetables. When asked why, he wondered if we had any idea about the microbes in all those root vegetables. I wondered what he normally ate. Same guy, at a French restaurant in Toronto, wondered if there was egg in the ice cream; can't eat eggs.

Glad I'm an omnivore.

Who trusted God was love indeed
And love Creation's final law
Tho' Nature, red in tooth and claw
With ravine, shriek'd against his creed

Whether your belief is that a higher power is responsible for your creation or instead your existence was totally done through evolution from the primordial soup, either way, wouldn't we have the teeth of an herbivore, if we were supposed to just eat those foods listed? Instead, our teeth indicate we were made to be omnivores.

Where I live, colonization wiped out the mountain lions, wolves and native Americans , which kept the deer population numbers in balance in the local area. If not for state licensed hunting, many deer, would starve to death during the winter. I don't see how a well placed bullet, with the meat harvested for consumption, is not a better option than just letting them starve during a brutal winter because they have grossly over eaten the available food source, which not only effects their population, but the population of many other game and non-game animals as well. But I am a believer in the humane and a treatment of animals, so perhaps our disagreement would be in our definition of humane. Just my 2 cents.

What came first, the chicken or the egg?

I believe in creationism. Some Muslims believe and me too, if you take one innocent life then gravity of this offense is the same as taking the life of all existing humanity.

A practice in one European country that I know of from reading a picture book is to capture wild reindeer in a corral. Number of reindeer in a corral can reach 7000. They brand the calves and geld the bulls. I think this is more humane way of controlling reindeer population than shooting and taking their life. If I am not mistaken Canada and USA have many greenbelts where wild life thrives. Area does not suffer from drought.

Subsiding only on fruits, vegetables, grains, and milk derived items including chocolates, cheese and yogurt is not so bad.

Some compassion is needed, the same kind you feel for your pet dog, cat or parrot, for mammals that are lot like humans, only autistic, from ending up on our plate.

Last edited by a moderator:
I try to eat responsibly which means few red meats, lots of fruits and vegetables and some nuts. I'm not a big fan of milk. I found that my allergies (mostly pollen) drop off dramatically if I drink Almond milk instead of milk. However I eat eggs regularly, some poultry and fish and a bit of beef and pork. I've also cut down my sugar intake dramatically and my carb intake somewhat. My bloodwork has improved as a result. I also started lifting weights regularly which seems to be the best thing for weight control. It speeds up your metabolism for a full 24 hours.

I have no question that we have commercialized cattle and poultry production to the point of creating some horrible conditions for any life to exist in, but I still eat meat.

I'm going to have buttermilk pancakes (with blue berries of course) and bacon for breakfast tomorrow and I'll step on the first 'Vegan' that gets in my way !

God Bless America !!

I'm going to have buttermilk pancakes (with blue berries of course) and bacon for breakfast tomorrow and I'll step on the first 'Vegan' that gets in my way !

God Bless America !!
Hey Dave, we have yet to meet in Montreal for that dinner at QdC. Did you say you were buying? :)

BTW, what's special about buttermilk pancakes? I made some last weekend (from scratch, of course), and much prefer those made with whole milk (none of that anorexic skim milk for me).

LOL Bernard, you know I was just 'poking a little fun' ...........

as for Montreal, I heard the QdC was closed, if true I'm mighty bummed. I have no short term plans on getting up there but one never knows .......

I have lived in a rural part of Virginia for over 40 years now. For the first twenty some years, hunting was never viewed as a problem, even the schools would hold a 'teacher workshop day' during the opening day of deer season, because half the school wasn't going to show up anyways. Things have now changed, but not with the original residents. Now, with DC area being so rich due to the federal government, we have people who retire from the city moving to our place on the mountain. People are buying second homes to retreat to for the weekends. And not unpredictably, they are complaining about the hunting that takes place in the woods near their homes.

I am sorry. I am a very commonsense oriented person, I see things as they are. These people move from the city, a place with no or very few deer despite no hunting, to the countryside where they are so overpopulated that they eat vegetation that is described as being deer-proof. Yet they think that hunting is a problem? But what really gets me burned is that a lot of these same people have cats. I have nothing against cats, I love all animals. But why is my hunting deer and squirrels, in legally in designated seasons, any worse than their cats killing animals daily? Worse yet, their cats come into my own yard to hunt, at least I hunt on my own property and not in my neighbors yard.

I was reminded of this today when I was reading the Washington Post and came across this article. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-rehab-center-confirms-that-cats-are-killers/

Hola. We have a law that hunting is prohibited here in Costa Rica. You can not hunt any wild animal... I´m omnivore too. But I rather eat the farm animals, the ones that we grow for this purpose, than eat the wild ones. We already are killing many farm animals for feeding us, why to kill the wild ones?

In Wyoming, a license fee is collected to hunt for deer, elk, antelope, etc.

A portion of that fee pays for Wyoming Game and Fish Department salaries. Another portion is used to keep the various critters at a healthy, sustainable number.

Although I'm not a hunter, this seems like a reasonable / balanced approach and has the added benefit of putting food on the table for the family who harvested the animal.

Hola. We have a law that hunting is prohibited here in Costa Rica. You can not hunt any wild animal... I´m omnivore too. But I rather eat the farm animals, the ones that we grow for this purpose, than eat the wild ones. We already are killing many farm animals for feeding us, why to kill the wild ones?

You know farm animal flatulence is one of the leading causes of global warming, threatening the extinction of all animals don't you? :)

ahhhhh ...... Kevin, how I'd like to print what I'm thinking right now about those 'two bit' intruders from DC, but I'll remain as civil as I possibly can ........ and we all know that's a stretch !!

ahhhhh ...... Kevin, how I'd like to print what I'm thinking right now about those 'two bit' intruders from DC, but I'll remain as civil as I possibly can ........ and we all know that's a stretch !!

I get along with most of them, I just think I could get along with them even better if they would just stay in the suburbs. :) If you are not going to assimilate with the country folks, then don't move to the country.

Every year at this time, someone sends out an email to the community asking if anyone else heard gun fire. Of course, sound on a still morning travels really well up a mountain, so they think someone just shot really close to them, when in reality it was probably a half mile away or more. Well, you moved to house on a mountain in a very rural area, if you don't like the sound of a rifle going off during hunting season, the solution is to sell and move back to the city, not have others who have lived there their whole lives change to meet your comfort level.

The best was when a lady in the community said she had proof, in the form of papers written by college professors, saying that hunting deer was not a good way to control the population because there are studies showing that shooting them only increases the population. Something about how 'nature' recognizes the short term drop in the population, so the deer automatically breed that much more the next year. So killing them only makes more of them. ?????? I ignored it, had I said what I was thinking at the time, we might have been ostracized from the community. I would have been fine with it, but my wife might not have been.

I haven't hunted in years, getting up on cold winter morning to sit in a tree just doesn't have the same appeal as it once did. But this talk of deer has me wanting to go home and dust off the rifle, venison.... yum.

LOL Bernard, you know I was just 'poking a little fun' ...........

as for Montreal, I heard the QdC was closed, if true I'm mighty bummed. I have no short term plans on getting up there but one never knows .......
Dave, I called QdC in case you were still funnin'. There are far from closed. I've never eaten there BTW; I've eaten at lots of other restaurants in Montreal, but not there.

With your tastes you should try Au Pied de Cochon. My wife and I once had a whole rabbit stuffed with foie gras there; it was amazing! They also make poutine with foie gras on top (they specialize in foie gras); I've not tried it.

well that's good to hear Bernard ..........it's been ten years since I've been there ........long over due !

Feline's are killers decimating bird population.

Introduction:

All mammals other than most humans hunt to survive, so do some non-mammals, for instance insects ( spider, praying mantis etc.), fish ( sharks, piranha etc.)and birds ( eagles, falcons, hawks etc. ).To single out cats for such mean punishment as euthanasia is very unfair. I have seven adult felines and they catch total on average three birds in a quarter of year. They bring the prey to our porch and consume the bird there. They also catch mice and garden lizards. Whatever they catch they most of the time consume.

Body:

Cats are part of nature's food chain. Food chain is nature's system of checks and balances that regulates population of each living creature in a ecosystem. I hate to say this whenever ecosystem suffers not because one living creature hunts greater number of prey but rather mankind is responsible for introducing into the ecosystem equation from outside living creatures that were not part of the original mix. Introduction of new predatory species in a closed ecosystem upsets the nature system of checks and balances and may wipe out some species in that closed ecosystem.

More specifically in England many people in towns and farms in suburbs keep cats as pets. I doubt that well fed cats catch enough birds, their natural diet, to be a danger to bird population. Not easy for cats to catch birds because they can easily fly up in the air at the earliest hint of danger to their lives. Over three decades, I have seen my cats fail many many times whenever they try to catch wild birds in our garden. In addition because we have seven cats, sensing danger, not many birds visit our garden. Believe me birds are very difficult prey for cats to catch frequently.

Conclusion:

I do not believe that bird population is in danger of extinction due to hunting instincts of pet cats.
Cats only kill to survive by consuming prey. Felines catch birds infrequently.

The above short essay expresses my subjective views on the issue that cats are killers and are decimating the bird population.

Back