Turntables

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have heard the AN dac 5 but not compared. I have not liked any of their speakers at all,

Agree Kedar - I have never heard AN which I liked. Speakers, amps, DACs.......nothing. It's all sounded flat and boring. I really don't know what the fuss is.......

Justin, do you know what type of chip is used in the Lampizator for the DAC function.....is it R-2R or Delta-Sigma? Audio Note swears by R-2R. BTW, Mr. Lampi had good things to say about Audio Note DACs in a post I read somewhere.

Nobody seems to know what the chipsets actually are Bernard.

AN DAC 4.1 versus Lampi in my system. The AN is a lot more coloured than the Lampi.

I heard AN were toying with the idea if making an R2R DAC using full sized discrete resistors. That was a while ago, though.

There is an option to get R2R or improved amanero board for PCM. His dsd is unique and chip less. I heard the R2R, much cleaner and focused than mine, but the improved amanero supposedly as good.

I have heard the AN dac 5 but not compared. I have not liked any of their speakers at all, and you cab check with Ron for an additional opinion, but the airtight and Avant garde amps blew away the AN amp with the trios. Both AN and air tight were 9w 300b, the former too coloured to sound real, and very low control relative to airtight. I haven't liked kondo m7 either.
The Amanero is a USB board, right? Interesting that you found the R2R cleaner. And no, I'm not contemplating buying an Audio Note or Lampi DAC; I don't live in the rarified high financial atmosphere of a Kedar.....isn't a Kedar a maharajah of some kind? :)

Nobody seems to know what the chipsets actually are Bernard.

AN DAC 4.1 versus Lampi in my system. The AN is a lot more coloured than the Lampi.

I heard AN were toying with the idea if making an R2R DAC using full sized discrete resistors. That was a while ago, though.
Justin, there was some forum where a guy was giving Lukasz grief for using a 1541 chip; the response he got was that it was the best available. On the Lampi website he says specifically that he does not specify the chipset.

I imagine that using discrete resistors would make Audio Note's DACs more horrendously expensive than they already are.

The reason for my original question was that I was looking around for what was available so I could in the distant future buy a new DAC to replace the MDAC (with its crappy power connector and just as crappy RCA connectors) that I just sold.

I'm currently using my Chinese-made Gustard USB to SPDIF converter feeding the DAC portion of my Marantz CDR/CDP ( it sounds far better than the MDAC).

Audio Note has a kits division (a separate company, really) based right here in Ottawa, so it's a consideration. Roberto likes exaSound (out of Toronto), but their stuff is more pricey than Audio Note's entry-level stuff. Unfortunately it's not possible to demo the stuff from Audio Note Kits.

Hell, I may just forget it all, stick with what I have, and just enjoy the music!

I would take the exasound over AN, used both.

Lukas now has an option, people get to choose between R2R and amanero usb board that is off a higher standard to the previous board Justin and I had. I know two who had they GG upgraded to R2R and reported a massive jump, and I compared with one of them.

Hell, I may just forget it all, stick with what I have, and just enjoy the music!

Bernard, say it isn't so, an audiophile doing something that makes sense ! …….. :devil:

A lot of people will feel the same. The only thing I will say is try a Lampi Big 7. It will be a different world to the Schiit.

I don't doubt that for a minute, but ~$10k versus $.149K there is a bit of price and undoubtedly quality difference, not to mention tubes which I seriously love.

Bernard, say it isn't so, an audiophile doing something that makes sense ! …….. :devil:
Dave, I try to keep in mind that the ultimate goal of this hobby is the music, not the equipment. BTW, I'm still waiting for you to tell me when we can meet in Montreal to dine at your favourite restaurant.

BTW, I'm still waiting for you to tell me when we can meet in Montreal to dine at your favourite restaurant.

Bernard, funny you should mention that for it was just this past week that my wife and I were talking about 'Queue de Cheval' and with that I did a superb 16 oz NY Strip on the grill tonight. Trust me, when the time comes for us to revisit Montreal you'll hear from me.

Try putting on a high end TT against a high end CD or DAC with the same recording and switch your system back and forth from TT to CD. No contest in my system, with comparable quality TT and CD, and with my 64 year old ears. I primarily purchase vinyl now.
And yes, vinyl can be a pain to keep clean and CD and DAC have no background noise but this is a a hobby I enjoy and a bit of fussing is ok by me in trade for the vinyl sound I am enjoying.

I love vinyl checkout my new custom thorens td145 mkll

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 186
Back