Help needed to bring Sequel 2's back to life after 15 years

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arcticsushi

Reaction score
Greetings from Canada.

My dad put this system together in 1988 and used it quite a bit until his passing in 1996. My mother used it sparely until 2001 but since it has remained unused in her climate controlled, clean & smoke-free basement. She finally said to me last week to take these and get them going for dad. The system wasn't hooked up to any power basically since 2001.

So trying to follow format of others but I have questions and hoping many of you can pass on your knowledge.

User: ArcticSushi

1988 ML Sequel 2. No modifications
Adcom GFP-555 Preamplifier
NAD Stereo Power Amplifier 2240PE
Dual Golden 1
Adcom AC Enhancer ACE-515
NAD CD player 502
Monster Cable

So I haven't yet hooked anything up but will do so very soon.

Q1....sounds like I need to carefully clean out bottom sections of dust, etc and also remove panels and clean. Correct?
Q2....should or do I have to change any fuses in speakers?
Q3....how about the components....do you recommend changing the fuses or cleaning them?

**Note that my mother has been using the power and pre-amp but with a small pair of book shelf speakers and some multi-CD player so they do work.

Do you have any other recommendations to getting these beauties up and running? Sounds like the pre & power amp's should be almost moth balled and replaced with modern technology but no sure?

Thank you in advance.

A1: You don't need to remove the panels. Just vacuum them thoroughly.
You could check on all the screws as the MDF likes to strip and let go. If you're inside the cabinet, also check the connections.
A2: No, but you could clean the fuse contacts by just removing them and re-inserting. Are there actually fuses in a Sequel 2...?
A3: Other than making sure the NAD amp is not full of dust, sounds like you're good to go!

Good luck! Let us know how it goes!

Back