Electromotion ESL- is it possible to remove the feet/spikes?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueGrey

Reaction score
Hello,
New owner here - my Electromotion are just breaking in.

I wonder if I can completely remove the feet spikes form the speakers?
I'd like to use these:
http://www.townshendaudio.com/hi-fi...ismic-isolation-bars-for-speakers-subwoofers/

Had great results with traditional (B&W) speakers.

They also allow me to tilt the speakers - I understand that in a dedicated audiophile listening room a vertical panel is preferred?

Please share your thoughts.

Thank you!

Hola BluGrey. You just adquiered one of the most best sounding speakers of the world in that category. I am going to save you a few bucks! The Electromotions are spiked. Just remove the rubber cushion feet from unscrew the feet for height adjustment. From the factory, they are very tight screwed. Use a little force anti-clockwise to unscrew it. Do some listening test and choose the one that you liked most. Some of us like tilded, other do not. Its also good to think why ML has them tilted. There must be a reason why, don´t you think so? Happy listening!

Last edited:
Hola BluGrey. You just adquiered one of the most best sounding speakers on the world in that category. I am going to save you a few bucks! The Electromotions are spiked. Just remove the rubber cushion feet from unscrew the feet for height adjustment. From the factory, they are very tight screwed. Use a little force anti-clockwise to unscrew it. Do some listening test and choose the one that you liked most. Some of us like tilded, other do not. Its also good to think why ML has them tilted. There must be a reason why, don´t you think so? Happy listening!

Thanks mate - so just to clarify, I can un-screw the spikes and have a 'flat bottom'?

thank you

Yes you can screw off the feet. Those isolation stands are pretty pricey. Try using the built in spikes with discs first and put the money into upgrading other components.

Yes you can screw off the feet. Those isolation stands are pretty pricey. Try using the built in spikes with discs first and put the money into upgrading other components.

Thanks Mate,
I already have those siesmic isolation bars so I might as well use them - in fact I did and it greatly improved the EM's bass definition - my room has an old wooden floor with cavities bellow it - it's like a giant guitar!

Now I see the reason why you must use spikes. The clue here is to avoid the floor to resonate with the bass. You could use some external non resonating wood blocks made of pine wood, to prevent more this unwanted resonance. It will clean more the bass. This is not an expensive tweak. Make them 3x3x3 inches for the rear and 3x3x2 for the front. If you still want to have the panels strait, look the height at the bottom rear when the panels are strait, and that´s the height that you need to add to the blocks. Put them under the spikes and the floor. This way, you will reduce the mechanical impedance of the bass notes reaching to the floor, and I do think, it will clean up more the bass and lower mid-range.

Hi Bluegrey, I too live in London and had Summits, I also had the Townshend. I sold them on and put Auralex pads with which I got great results and were only 70 quid each. The Townshend were great for sound but due to the gap below the Summit woofer (summit has a downward firing woofer) the sound was going down to the neighbour's, which stopped with the Auralex. I had them spiked on the Auralex which tightened the bass compared to normal feet.

Thanks everyone,
I already own the Townsend isolation bars so might as well use them - after a few tweaks I use the,m with the ML and it sounds great. I don't have neighbors bellow me ;-)

Back