SS Amp tour - Spectral, MBL, on MBL, Vivid

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonzo

Reaction score
So, a couple of weekends ago I had visited a demo room with MBL 111 which we first ran with the MBL class D amp, and then replaced it with the ypsilon integrated hybrid. The ypsilon was much better on all respects, from the word go - more soundstage, decay, timbre, separation, musicality, without giving up anything on dynamics. I then turned around to hear the MBL 101 at the other end of the room on MBL class A 9008 which had good texture and soundstage as compared to the class D. Even the dealer admitted that the class D, though a good class D, can't match the ypsilons and other class As.

We then heard the Vivid Giya G1 with Ypsilon aelius 200w monos. I thought Vivid tone was much more solid and real than MBL but their bass while high quality is distracting. Also tough to set up.

Sources and cables were uber expensive in both cases. Loads of room treatment. I found the MBL to have very precise imaging. The dealer explained this is not normally the case but it was because of his room treatment.

Yesterday I went to another demo room, where I compared the MBL 9011 class A, as long as a Boa (plus MBL pre) with the Spectral DMA 360 and Spectral pre on the MBL 101. The Spectral blew away the MBL. What speed and jumps, better extensions top and bottom, better mid bass, more cohesive, bass was now better integrated and part of the soundstage, better imaging, better tone, so clean. And so small in size. I had love the DMA 400s at Marty's.

Only downside to the Spectral to me is locking myself in to a pre and cables. Though one can possibly get away with a low impedance valve pre.

Then we heard the Spectral on Wilson Sashas which were set up with a Reimyo stack. The Reimyo was definitely more musical, but much more expensive.

The dealer loves Spectral and recommends it over his Boulder and Pass.

We also heard the Spectral on Vivid Giya G4. Given this is all SS, one has to match a nice TT or a valve dac (ahem) to make the system a bit more musical. Over there we had used the Boulder CDP

I think for tough to drive speakers, I would compare Spectral with a hybrid power amp like Lamm M2.2/Aesthetix Atlas/Ypsilon and an all valve set

interesting, for my local dealer (Overture) recommends Spectral above all other SS amps as well. I've listened to them many times driving many different speakers with full authority, no doubt they are some of the best

The imaging with Jerry's 116Fs really varies depending on ancillaries.

The imaging with my 211s was so huge it was ridiculous. T-amp brought a total collapse. Solid state Krells and Parasound quite precise.

But my fave for imaging on his MBLs was the Graff 50/50. Just delightfully entertaining image wise. Cracking match.

Still reckon MBL 101E bass is below par for the rest of the speaker. Those omni drivers warrant a bigger bass box in that particular case. In my opinion, of course.

can't match the ypsilons and other class As.

We then heard the Vivid Giya G1 with Ypsilon aelius 200w monos.

Those Ypsilon amps are absolutely fantastic. I've heard them many times.

Unrelated to sound, the Vivid speakers are incredibly ugly in my opinion.

Back