ISIS. I think they are

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Look at it this way Steve, you shouldn't have too many ISIS restaurant style attacks in Texas !

On a more serious note, I hope and pray that our Presidents ways and means of dealing with this issue proves me wrong.

I don't know the answers, either Dave. Part of me, the fearful side, says nuke and pave, while the brave side says all Muslims and middle easterners are not ISIS and are not out for our blood. Like everything else in life, there are no easy answers, but I do not give in to the fear mongering side.

Basically, the extreme right is being very deceitful in their constant barrage to perpetuate this fear. The Syrian refugees, according to the UNHCR, are 50.5% female. Children 11 years and younger account for 38.5%. Conservative sites have been quoting misleading numbers about the percentage of males, putting them usually around 72%. However, this accounts for refugees from 9 other countries as well, and only for Mediterranean Sea crossings, half of which are Syrian. "Single men of combat age" represent only 2% of those admitted to the U.S. Where are the rest of the men? Why they've been fighting ISIS and other battles in their country. Which leads to another meme pushed by the right which is that instead of running, they should fight. In fact, they have been. Why does the right push these distortions? To cause fear and panic so they can win elections.

Just gonna leave this here:
Obama-Refugees-Guns.jpg

The difference is that we know where security checks for gun ownership fail, but they are not enabled due to NRA and supporters. The vetting process for refugees is scrutinized and implemented by our government, with the intent, regardless of political affiliation, to prevent terrorists to slip through. Unless, of course one thinks the CIA and all other government agencies are in a conspiracy to not take this seriously.

Gordon, did you think when you started this thread it wouldn't become another political debate?

Brad,

There's nothing wrong with a political debate as along as it remains respectful. One can disagree without throwing mud and being blatantly insulting.

If someone wants to start a separate thread that is dedicated to Obama bashing, please do.

Gordon

The difference is that we know where security checks for gun ownership fail, but they are not enabled due to NRA and supporters. The vetting process for refugees is scrutinized and implemented by our government, with the intent, regardless of political affiliation, to prevent terrorists to slip through. Unless, of course one thinks the CIA and all other government agencies are in a conspiracy to not take this seriously.

My biggest concern about the vetting process for refugees is most of the information is coming from the Islamic state they are fleeing. We all have our comfort level and this is way above mine.

Simple math. Over 30,000 Americans killed by other Americans with guns every year. Every damn year. How many Americans killed by refugees? Down here we have idiots standing guard at Mosques carrying their assault rifles, saying they are there in case there is a problem. The only problem is the one they create. That's not protection, it's harassment. I can't remember the last time some religious Muslim left one of their places of worship and needed to be put down by these right wing clowns and their assault guns, can you? It's irrational fear and these clowns are allowed to carry guns? That's idiotic. It's the Old West again. We have old ladies shooting at people in a parking lot because she thought they were doing something wrong. Guess what she was wrong, but hey, it's ok for her to carry a gun. That's stupidity. Now we have every right wing nut carrying a gun around and by god, you better not try to do something that they think is un-American or they'll shoot first. No, I don't feel safe around these mental midgets and their guns. I don't believe a single thing the right wing says because every time they are proven wrong, it doesn't matter, they're right back at the paranoia spreading, in order to scare people, as that is their schtick.

Steve, I will accept being corrected but according to gunviolencearchive.org in 2015 so far 11,866 people have been killed with a gun in the USA. That is still way to many though

Steve, I will accept being corrected but according to gunviolencearchive.org in 2015 so far 11,866 people have been killed with a gun in the USA. That is still way to many though

I also accept being corrected. I think though, that the 11,866 figure is homicides, not total deaths by guns. With so many source available, it is easy to be off the mark! I also agree the deaths by gun, whether by murder, suicide or accident are way too many. I am a gun owner. I fully support the great American traditions of hunting and target practice. Hunting is a valuable tool in regulating explosive growths in deer populations, for example. Same for wild hogs, which are a big problem down here in Texas. I do not agree that every Tom, Dick or Harry should be allowed to carry guns in places that aren't designed for them. Churches, schools, grocery stores, streets, sidewalks -basically any public area other than a shooting range or a safe hunting area.

Last edited:
Steve,

Is your story about folks standing outside of religious mosques with AK 47'S in Texas really true? :eek1:

Gordon

I believe it is in the Austin area that there is a very large Muslim contingent that is working to have Sharia Law supersede our constitutional law. Not in my country.

What????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Obviously never going to happen and posting this only confirms your phobia and paranoia regarding Muslims.

Brad, I think we get IT.

Gordon

What????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Obviously never going to happen and posting this only confirms your phobia and paranoia regarding Muslims.

Brad, I think we get IT.

Gordon

The city was Irving. So can I assume that you are fine with Muslims having their own Sharia Courts that the mayor and council shut down?

Do a search for Sharia law in Texas or USA and see what you find.

I'm not sure what thought process got you to me having a phobia and paranoia about Muslims. I have friends and relatives that are Muslim so I'm afraid you are misguided in your thinking.

I welcome anyone that is a productive member of society ( and no I don't belong to any secret societies ). Just don't decide that you want to ignore the laws here and live under the laws from where ever you left because American freedom is, just that.

The city was Irving.

So can I assume that you are fine with Muslims having their own Sharia Courts that the mayor and council shut down?

Do a search for Sharia law in Texas or USA and see what you find.

I'm not sure what thought process got you to me having a phobia and paranoia about Muslims. I have friends and relatives that are Muslim so I'm afraid you are misguided in your thinking.

I welcome anyone that is a productive member of society ( and no I don't belong to any secret societies ). Just don't decide that you want to ignore the laws here and live under the laws from where ever you left because American freedom is, just that.

Brad,

I'm sure you are a good person. Just think, as I said before, people are reacting in an emotional, knee jerk way at this time. And I could be one of those.

I thought Austin is one of the most progressive thinking (open minded) city in Texas. Maybe I'm wrong. That's why I responded the way I did.

Obviously, those who live in the USA need to follow the law or face the consequences.

Have a great holiday.

Best,

Gordon

Absolutely. When in Rome...

Hey didn't something like that happen to England in the 1700's??? :) That was a joke Justin.. Speaking of 'large Muslim contingents'.... I work in Dearborn Michigan.... largest in the nation.... But, honestly I don't care.... People believe in different things... I am not preaching - but I like to embrace differences..... Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukah, Happy Diwali, Happy Kwanza, Happy Ramadan..... I mean - I think it is cool... Just don't give me your 'Happy Holidays' crap...