Ripping to JRiver

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I looked into this and JRiver says that up-sampling only makes sense if you have a low quality DAC.

This only makes sense because your DAC is effectively doing just that as it converts to analog.

This is one reason all these up-sample converters are a waste of money just like signal boosters and filters on USB lines.

Hi,

i tried a filter on USB line. Audioquest, Jitterbug to be precise. Works by producing natural, clear and less harsh sound. though the difference is not much. I use world's least expensive high resolution dac. and budget interconnects and speaker cables. The 3 things you point out are a waste of money, probably feel this way because the Oppo 105D has a great dac.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Mark!

i tried a filter on USB line. Audioquest, Jitterbug to be precise. Works by producing natural, clear and less harsh sound. though the difference is not much. I use world's least expensive high resolution dac. and budget interconnects and speaker cables. The 3 things you point out are a waste of money, probably feel this way because the Oppo 105D has a great dac.

They claim to clean up ringing.

Data travels in square waves. Ringing is a byproduct of an analog signal being incapable of instantaneously changing between a 1 and a 0.

WNGaS.jpg

This is completely normal and has ZERO impact on your sound quality.

As long as the value is above the point that latches as a ONE or below the point that latches as a ZERO you are perfect and can't get any better.

Below the blue signal is an extreme example that shows ringing to the point where there is overlap between the two sides.

Repeat this is an EXTREME example and unlikely to occur unless you have very poor cabling or a poorly operating USB driver on your computer.

junkwave.jpg

As long as your data is reaching your DAC there should be no issue with harshness.

My well shielded USB cable cost me $15 and my USB driver is built into the motherboard of my media server and is nothing special.

Hi,

If you have the answer i shall be most grateful and thank you. Can you please tell me why my JRiver 20 does not function well sonically, especially in the dsp area. I have a dell desktop optiplex 3020 and microsoft windows 7 professional instead of windows 10 running the computer. The dell came with a terrible sounding internal dac.

Last edited by a moderator:
They claim to clean up ringing.

Data travels in square waves. Ringing is a byproduct of an analog signal being incapable of instantaneously changing between a 1 and a 0.

View attachment 18550

This is completely normal and has ZERO impact on your sound quality.

As long as the value is above the point that latches as a ONE or below the point that latches as a ZERO you are perfect and can't get any better.

Below the blue signal is an extreme example that shows ringing to the point where there is overlap between the two sides.

Repeat this is an EXTREME example and unlikely to occur unless you have very poor cabling or a poorly operating USB driver on your computer.

View attachment 18551

As long as your data is reaching your DAC there should be no issue with harshness.

My well shielded USB cable cost me $15 and my USB driver is built into the motherboard of my media server and is nothing special.

Thanks very much for taking the trouble to provide information.

Hi,

If you have the answer i shall be most grateful and thank you. Can you please tell me why my JRiver 20 does not function well sonically, especially in the dsp area. I have a dell desktop optiplex 3020 and microsoft windows 7 professional instead of windows 10 running the computer. The dell came with a terrible sounding internal dac.

The OS doesn't matter. A PC does not have an audiophile quality DAC in it or anything close to it.

JRiver is just a means of organizing, moving and optionally manipulating data. It has nothing to do with generating a good analog signal.

The key is to get the data out of your PC and into something that does have a high quality DAC and analog output stage.

The OS doesn't matter. A PC does not have an audiophile quality DAC in it or anything close to it.

JRiver is just a means of organizing, moving and optionally manipulating data. It has nothing to do with generating a good analog signal.

The key is to get the data out of your PC and into something that does have a high quality DAC and analog output stage.

Mark your answer makes much sense. Thanks very much for making the effort to reply.

For ripping to FLAC, I'd strongly recommend EAC (Exact Audio Copy) which does intensive error correction, confirms the output against a database of checksums to verify an accurate rip, and even does some limited tagging. Supports multiple destination formats such as MP3, but I've had great results with FLAC.

If you're looking for an affordable DAC, check out the HiFiBerry DAC+ PRO.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back