Ripping to JRiver

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brad225

MLO Supporter
Reaction score
I am starting to rip some of my CD's to JRiver. With Redbook is 16/44 the highest bit rate that can be captured. I have looked through the JRiver site and Wiki JRiver and can't find this information.

Thanks

44.1kHz by 16bits wide is all the information that is encoded into a normal CD.

An SACD has more information, but a normal CD player won't pull anymore than 44.1kHz by 16bits off an SACD. There are some people working with a Playstation drive, who have found a way to get all the information encoded on an SACD.

Hi Mark,
I want to have you clarify something if you can. I understand that a standard player that plays a Redbook or PCM CD can only play 44/16. I am ripping from my external optical drive connected to my PC with JRiver on it and the encoding set to FLAC and i'm getting 44/16. Is that what I want since that is all a PCM CD can provide?

When I rip a SACD to JRiver set to DSD it shows a Bit Depth of 1, Sampling Rate 2822400 (which I assume is 282/24) Bitrate 5644 File Type dsf. Is this what it has actually put on the storage drive? It sure takes a long time to rip an SACD compared to PCM CD.

I have only had it running for a month but I enjoy it more than I would have imagined. I really thought I enjoyed the action of putting a disc in the player similar to the way vinyl people enjoying the process. I find I listen to music that I have not played in a long time since it's so convenient to do.

How does downloading an online DSD file differ from ripping a disc? What actually do I do different in JRiver to capture the file and move it to the proper storage?

Thanks
Brad

I have some storage questions but I think I will start another thread for that.

I'm sorry but we are hitting the limits of how much help I can give you.

I was unaware that JRiver could pull all of the data off of an SACD. I'll look a bit deeper in a couple days when I'll be ripping a bunch of music I recently ordered. I'll install a different drive in my JRiver server computer and see what options I have.

I'm sure you are aware of this but this is what i did. Tools-Options-Encoding-and there were options for whatever format you want. I selected DSD. When I down ripped a SACD it first showed it as 44/16 cda but showed up in the detail for the disc as I mentioned in by previous post. When I ripped a PCM disc with DSD selected it showed it as a FLAC file at 44/16.

We have reached my absolute knowledge of JRiver.

When I was typing this I was thinking, you sound like you have a clue how any of this works.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks, Brad

When I play the tracks to listen the DAC calls it DSD. If I put a SACD in the player the DAC calls it SACD. If I play back a PCM FLAC file it calls it 44/16.

More puzzled then ever.

If it is only 44/16 and I am not insisting that not. Why, when I tell it to encode it as a FLAC file it takes 10-15 minutes but if I encode it as DSD it takes an hour? If it knows it's SACD/DSD format that it can't record why doesn't it just deal with it as a FLAC file? If I have it on DSD and put a PCM disc in it records it as a FLAC file.

Even more puzzled than 4 sentences ago.

When I play the tracks to listen the DAC calls it DSD. If I put a SACD in the player the DAC calls it SACD. If I play back a PCM FLAC file it calls it 44/16.

More puzzled then ever.

If it is only 44/16 and I am not insisting that not. Why, when I tell it to encode it as a FLAC file it takes 10-15 minutes but if I encode it as DSD it takes an hour? If it knows it's SACD/DSD format that it can't record why doesn't it just deal with it as a FLAC file? If I have it on DSD and put a PCM disc in it records it as a FLAC file.

Even more puzzled than 4 sentences ago.

It probably takes longer to rip as DSD vs FLAC because not only is it being ripped, the redbook layer is being converted on the fly as DSD.

It probably takes longer to rip as DSD vs FLAC because not only is it being ripped, the redbook layer is being converted on the fly as DSD.

So an easy way to check is based on file size I would think? I'm curious as well as to whether it is up converting the cd layer to dsd. So if it does convert on the rip to disk as opposed to converting on the fly when you play (it is my understanding that you can do this)..... What sounds better brad??

You may be asking the wrong person. I am not sure which way it is done, if it is even done.

I think u misunderstood.
1 what sounds better. The file ripped when DSD is checked or when it is 16/44?
2 file sizes. Are the files when you rip to DSD ginormous compared to the 16/44 tips?

If the files are huge then jriver does convert to a dsd file on the rip. You can't pull the sacd layer off the disk with your computer - only the cd layer.

Curious if the conversion has positive sonic impact for you

Hi Timm, One of the few thing I do know, as you said is, SACD is not accessible for ripping with a common optical drive.

I looked at the size of the file I ripped to 2 formats. I don't have the same disc ripped in DSD and FLAC. I did find tracks that were close in play time and for approximate play time of 4:40 the FLAC was about 45.MB where the DSD was 160 MB.

I will rip one of the discs I have in DSD with FLAC. I can then play them side by side and see what the comparison is.

I hope that answers your question. If not try me again.

Last edited:
Hi Timm, One of the few thing I do know, as you said is, SACD is not accessible for ripping with a common optical drive.

I looked at the size of the file I ripped to 2 formats. I don't have the same disc ripped in DSD and FLAC. I did find tracks that were close in play time and for approximate play time of 4:40 the FLAC was about 45.MB where the DSD was 160 MB.

I hope that answers your question. If not try me again.

Ooh... yes.... I guess it does covert on the fly and save to disk.... I knew it would do that for playback... I didn't know it would do it when you rip a disk..... thanks for looking at that for me brad....timm.

I just upgraded my Media Server to Windows 10 and to JRiver Media Server from 20 to 21.
My JRemotes continued to work without any change.

My Media Server is connected to my 65" UHD TV by HDMI, and by USB to the OPPO 105D. Windows 10 seems to handle the Oppo 105D USB driver much better. If I power up the 105D it flips over very quickly and if I turn it off the Media Server goes back to the TV which if fine for my RC Heli flight simulator or watching Ted Talks in the morning.

Now that I've built a USB to AMP trigger cable the Amp comes on with the OPPO and turns off with it, both have a slight delay.

I just finished ripping my entire CD library to FLAC and had JRiver setup to automatically rip when I insert a disk and eject as soon as it finished which let my do this "almost" brainlessly. Occasionally it would hit a snag on the information it found for a disk or ask me which disk it was from a number of variations.

I just saw where JRiver can upsample to 192kHz if I wanted. I may have to try that out.

I just upgraded my Media Server to Windows 10 and to JRiver Media Server from 20 to 21.
My JRemotes continued to work without any change.

My Media Server is connected to my 65" UHD TV by HDMI, and by USB to the OPPO 105D. Windows 10 seems to handle the Oppo 105D USB driver much better. If I power up the 105D it flips over very quickly and if I turn it off the Media Server goes back to the TV which if fine for my RC Heli flight simulator or watching Ted Talks in the morning.

Now that I've built a USB to AMP trigger cable the Amp comes on with the OPPO and turns off with it, both have a slight delay.

I just finished ripping my entire CD library to FLAC and had JRiver setup to automatically rip when I insert a disk and eject as soon as it finished which let my do this "almost" brainlessly. Occasionally it would hit a snag on the information it found for a disk or ask me which disk it was from a number of variations.

I just saw where JRiver can upsample to 192kHz if I wanted. I may have to try that out.

JRiver may upsample to 384 khz.

JRiver may upsample to 384 khz.

I looked into this and JRiver says that up-sampling only makes sense if you have a low quality DAC.

This only makes sense because your DAC is effectively doing just that as it converts to analog.

This is one reason all these up-sample converters are a waste of money just like signal boosters and filters on USB lines.

Latest posts

Back