Martin Logan SLM or Fresco i's

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ukaudiophile

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm a long time Martin Logan owner who has recently discovered this forum.

I'm hoping the collected wisdom on this forum can point me in the right direction.

My good lady wife has asked if, when we install the new living room TV, if we can get rid of the floor standing loudspeakers we have (actually she more or less has insisted upon it) and go with something 'less cluttered'. In other words, she's looking for something on wall. I cannot go in wall, my house has solid brick walls which make installing speakers actually in wall a none starter.

The option I'm looking at are either the SLM / SLM-XL or the Fresco i's. The Fresco's I have heard in the past in their none 'i' configuration and was very impressed to the scale of sound coming from such a compact enclosure. The SLM / SLM-XL I am less familiar with, and obviously I have never heard the two side by side.

The main purpose is to provide sound for my TV in the main living room, but also to give me music in there. As I am being steered towards a streaming solution in the living room as it involves fewer box's, I would suggest the split will be around 80% TV and movies and 20% music. Thankfully I have a separate room as a dedicated home theater / music room.

I know the Fresco's sound good when used in a home theater context, but I wonder if rather than buying used Fresco i's I'd be better off with the SLM series, but their extremely think profile makes me wonder what the midrange would be like. I appreciate that any real bass will have to come from a compact subwoofer.

Any guidance which you can offer would be appreciated.

Thanks and best wishes,

David

I have the slmxl and they are way better than fresco's. The xl really do need some serious watts to start coming alive. It was not until they got a 225 watt jolt from a Theta that I started to think they sounded good. These are not what you wana do any music listening on, even casual!

Latest posts

Back