Aeon vs. Clarity (and possibly vs. Source)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wildcat Rudy

Reaction score
I have an opportunity to possibly get one of these systems, for similar prices, within driving range. In the grand scheme of things, the Clarity is in better condition, but I wondered if I'd lose anything (especially depth of the bass) between that and the Aeon. The Source I found is a little more expensive, but don't know if it is a big jump over the Clarity, as both I believe were considered entry-level systems back in their day.

Has anyone heard these to give any impressions pro/con between them? I realize newer is sometimes better. And I'm not sure where the Aeon sat in the ML line originally. (I can get all specs from the product museum at ML.)

For the record, I have a stalled Sequel II refurbishment/upgrade project that I haven't yet decided if I am going to complete, or scrap (by selling off what I have). I like the sound of the one unit I've heard working, but they need a lot more work.

New or old, BIGGER is better.

Yep, agree. Buy the highest model you can afford.

The only thing that would change this is servicing - please factor in budget as older speakers may require panel replacement.

I'd rather a new Source (or Clarity) over an old pair of Aeons (if I couldn't afford to replace panels or ensure they are operating 100%).

I heard the aeons back in the day... and with the right electronics - they can sound magical..... They are not going to produce big bass ... but can definitely get you some esl magic.... They were hooked to some big mac solid state gear ... something a bit on the warmer side of neutral on the amps serves them well... and lots of power..... The lineup was Prodigy/Odyssey/Ascent/Aeon ... in that order. If you can hear them ... do so obviously... That is my only experience with any of these.... If I have heard Clarity or Source - it would have been at a best buy just in passing or something.... I certainly was not impressed with the newer lower models... Just my humble opinion of course..... and yes -- consider panel replacement cost -- Call ML and find out the cost..... just in case.

Thanks for the replies. My window of opportunity on the Clarity speakers had passed, so I'm sticking to the Sequel II restoration for now. I have all of my parts on hand, ready to go. But I will not rule out the Clarity if I find another great deal on a pair. I do have plenty of power here, so we're good in that department.

I unfortunately missed a killer deal on a pair of Scenarios with low output from the panels...$150. They would have made great rear speakers for my setup! Since I have everything on hand to redo the panels, bringing them back to life would not have cost me much.

All told, I will likely upgrade to a newer (or brand new) ML stat in the future.

Back