Quest Restoration Project

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
E2F77F45-4012-463F-9D0C-E3220E792D4D.jpg

72FF6461-09B2-49BB-B239-E7DFBF9F1ACF.jpg

Finally in their new happy home 👍

Those look great, good job! As a Questz owner, I would be interested to hear the details of long-term problems and solutions.

Those look great, good job! As a Questz owner, I would be interested to hear the details of long-term problems and solutions.

Absolutely! If you look at my other posts, you will see issues I had to fix with the power supplies and associated connectors. The tech staff at Martin Logan were outstanding throughout this project. They claim I pretty much encountered any flaw that could arise with age and fixed it properly.

I find that the speaker’s problems start as the panels age and the unsuspecting owner compensates by increasing the volume. The increase in power to compensate for the lack of performance will heat up surface mount parts, wiring, and connectors which eventually causes further damage.

I guess the key to longevity is to be mindful of the panels lifespan and performance.

Quest woofer replacements

Very interesting and successful project. just the encouragement I need. I have a pair of Quests, circa 1993 or so; second owner since 1994; so most of their lives. I have a blown woofer on one of my speakers. Looks like a fairly straight forward DIY project to replace them-- but what to replace them with??? Scott at ML suggested i go with a Peerless paper coned woofer (https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.c...rless-sls-830669-12-woofer-coated-paper-cone/), but is there something better out there? i just changed out all of my electronics and would like these babies to sing like they used to so splurging a bit on a replacement woofer is OK. Any Suggestions?

Very interesting and successful project. just the encouragement I need. I have a pair of Quests, circa 1993 or so; second owner since 1994; so most of their lives. I have a blown woofer on one of my speakers. Looks like a fairly straight forward DIY project to replace them-- but what to replace them with??? Scott at ML suggested i go with a Peerless paper coned woofer (Peerless SLS 830669 - 12" Woofer - Coated Paper Cone), but is there something better out there? i just changed out all of my electronics and would like these babies to sing like they used to so splurging a bit on a replacement woofer is OK. Any Suggestions?
Did you found any other woofer???

I guess the key to longevity is to be mindful of the panels lifespan and performance.

I have fairly new panels, so should be OK for a while. I did read about the repairs to your high-voltage power supplies. Hopefully I don't have to go there, but at least will be able to do it if needed thanks to your documentation.

Very interesting and successful project. just the encouragement I need. I have a pair of Quests, circa 1993 or so; second owner since 1994; so most of their lives. I have a blown woofer on one of my speakers. Looks like a fairly straight forward DIY project to replace them-- but what to replace them with??? Scott at ML suggested i go with a Peerless paper coned woofer (Peerless SLS 830669 - 12" Woofer - Coated Paper Cone), but is there something better out there? i just changed out all of my electronics and would like these babies to sing like they used to so splurging a bit on a replacement woofer is OK. Any Suggestions?

When I replaced the woofers (photos here) in my Questz ML recommended I use Dayton Audio DCS305-4 12" Classic Subwoofer 4 Ohm, Parts Express #295-204. I guess there are some differences in the crossovers between the Quest and Questz that affect subwoofer choices? It looks like the Peerless is an 8 Ohm driver vs. the Dayton 4 Ohm.

I have a pair of Quest, that I love, but now need a new paintjob. I want at the same time lower the statorpanels a couple of inches.
Will this effect the sound, that the lower part of the playing panel, gets in front of the basscabinet? About 1,5-2 inches of the panel, will not have the free air/space on the backside, as the rest of the stator.

I have a pair of Quest, that I love, but now need a new paintjob. I want at the same time lower the statorpanels a couple of inches.
Will this effect the sound, that the lower part of the playing panel, gets in front of the basscabinet? About 1,5-2 inches of the panel, will not have the free air/space on the backside, as the rest of the stator.
I have a pair of Quest Z, just installed the peerless drivers and think the results are fantastic bass now very tight matches speed of the panels and the depth I sub

Nah, it's purely cosmetic. But do use an open-weave stretch cloth. See: grill cloth - Parts Express Ships Fast and Ships Free.
Nah, it's purely cosmetic. But do use an open-weave stretch cloth. See: grill cloth - Parts Express Ships Fast and Ships Free.

I am thinking of removing them, when I have found a proper way to hold the staters in place.

Attachments

• C63AB1AA-8F2A-4528-A80C-9B8A07E96AFE.jpeg
    C63AB1AA-8F2A-4528-A80C-9B8A07E96AFE.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 43

Latest posts

Back