Replacing panels for my ML sequel II

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Majorseven

Reaction score
hello everyone, my panels for the above speakers need renovating though I'm opted to replace them all together, I've seen this pair of ML panels :
Martin Logan STA0012 ElectroMotion on ebay but couldn't get any specs on them [mainly measurements] and was wondering weather they can replace those on the Sequel II...:confused:

Electromotion ESL panels are 34" x 8.6"
(86cm x 22cm)

Measure your sequel panels. I'm pretty sure these won't work. Have you tried showering the panels?

Electromotion ESL panels are 34" x 8.6"
(86cm x 22cm)

Measure your sequel panels. I'm pretty sure these won't work. Have you tried showering the panels?
Yeah...tried that, now I have a lightening show from one of the panels, and sound is crap...

You have to ask yourself this: Are they worth saving?? I owned Sequels for 17 years and in their day, they were great, but the ML products of today are so much better in all regards. The panel and woofer integration in the newer models is phenomenal, panels are smaller and sound better and they are WAY easier to drive. ie. MUCH easier to live with.

If it were me, I'd be looking to offload the Sequel ii's and get one of the newer MLs. The ElectroMotion ESL would be a great choice.

Last edited:
There are a couple of places that will refurbish the panels, but I have to agree with @TomDac--if you feel you're throwing good money after bad, just sell those off and replace. I picked up some really inexpensive Sequel IIs to refurbish myself, but given my lack of time lately, it is a "back burner" project that I can't find much time to work on. And in looking at better woofers (to integrate better with the panels), that is just more money spent.

You have to ask yourself this: Are they worth saving?? I owned Sequels for 17 years and in their day, they were great, but the ML products of today are so much better in all regards. The panel and woofer integration in the newer models is phenomenal, panels are smaller and sound better and they are WAY easier to drive. ie. MUCH easier to live with.

If it were me, I'd be looking to offload the Sequel ii's and get one of the newer MLs. The ElectroMotion ESL would be a great choice.

I don't know man, where I live ML cost a small fortune...so that's not an option unfortunately.:(

There are a couple of places that will refurbish the panels, but I have to agree with @TomDac--if you feel you're throwing good money after bad, just sell those off and replace. I picked up some really inexpensive Sequel IIs to refurbish myself, but given my lack of time lately, it is a "back burner" project that I can't find much time to work on. And in looking at better woofers (to integrate better with the panels), that is just more money spent.

What woofers would you recommend in this respect...?

What woofers would you recommend in this respect...?

I haven't even begun to look at woofers yet. I've heard there is a ScanSpeak that fits well into the enclosure (26W/4534G), but I would think the crossover might need some help also. Some users go the active route, bypassing the Sequel II crossover and bi-amping with an active crossover.

For my purposes, it's not worth the bother. If I can get the one bad woofer repaired, and I decide to refurbish the panels, I will probably just sell them off when I'm done. I would rather just buy a newer pair of MLs at this point.

Yeah...tried that, now I have a lightening show from one of the panels, and sound is crap...

Well, clean panels do not sparkle so something went wrong with your cleaning process. Maybe you should do it again with higher precision?
Spare panels might be bit expensive, have you considered reworking original panels? There must be some source for materials, search internet.
Best bet for woofers would be to keep the originals and if necessary deteriorated drivers can be repaired with minimal cost. Exact replacement woofer is very hard or even impossible to find, might not be a problem if you are experienced with crossover engineering.

ML themselves have recommended the ScanSpeak woofer above as a drop-in replacement, but they would need to be replaced in pairs. If the woofers are working, I'd leave well enough alone. On mine, the woofer on one side was dead, no continuity in the coil, so my choices are to replace both speakers, or get the woofer repaired (which I don't care for, as I once had woofer repaired many years ago and it came back sounding drastically different).

Panels can be refurbished but it is a tedious job, and difficult if you decide to replace the Mylar since you'd need to build a jig to hold the Mylar in place so it could be mounted. Separating the panels is also very risky as the Mylar is easily torn.

ML themselves have recommended the ScanSpeak woofer above as a drop-in replacement, but they would need to be replaced in pairs. If the woofers are working, I'd leave well enough alone. On mine, the woofer on one side was dead, no continuity in the coil, so my choices are to replace both speakers, or get the woofer repaired (which I don't care for, as I once had woofer repaired many years ago and it came back sounding drastically different).

Panels can be refurbished but it is a tedious job, and difficult if you decide to replace the Mylar since you'd need to build a jig to hold the Mylain place so it could be mounted. Separating the panels is also very risky as the Mylar is easily torn.

My woofers are in good condition...I just don't like'em a whole lot. As for the panels, I wouldn't dream of replacing the Mylar...I would try giving it a new coat and replacing the conductive ribbons and all that process..
About cleaning them, you know, I just gave them a wash, what precision good I apply to that process?

Back