MartinLogans to Rockports?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is a problem.

Justin,

Not a problem if you are comfortable in your own "audio" skin and recognize that this hobby is simply about the enjoying the music versus the hardware.

If you take this approach, all this self imposed audio neurosis that some people experience simply doesn't materialize.

And one is much happier and healthier as a result.

GG

Yes but by that logic Rich would be happy with his Bose speakers as well.

The key reason to listen to WE, and probably the bionor, is, to see how different it is from our hifi world, whether it be Wilson, Rockport, Logan or MBL.That is what Steve realized after 50 years. Let not everyone take that long

Yes but by that logic Rich would be happy with his Bose speakers as well.

The key reason to listen to WE, and probably the bionor, is, to see how different it is from our hifi world, whether it be Wilson, Rockport, Logan or MBL.That is what Steve realized after 50 years. Let not everyone take that long
And then sometimes ignorance is bliss. I'm quite happy with my relatively mediocre system!

Is it ignorance or simply having the maturity to recognize that it is good enough for its intended purpose?

I think the later.

At some point in most peoples lives that enjoy the audio hobby to what ever personal degree that is, one should realize that there are so many other important things to do other than worrying about equipment and experiencing self imposed neurosis.

Is it ignorance or simply having the maturity to recognize that it is good enough for its intended purpose?

I think the later.

At some point in most peoples lives that enjoy the audio hobby to what ever personal degree that is, one should realize that there are so many other important things to do other than worrying about equipment and experiencing self imposed neurosis.
I agree completely.

I think the later.

YES!!!!!!! That!!!!

I know that I have obsessive tendencies and I have gone overboard before. I consider overboard when anything takes hold of your life and creates imbalance that takes away from other important things or that makes you start to play mind games with yourself so that you start to trivialize other important parts of your life to make room for an obsession.

Right now I juggle 5 hobbies, and 3 sports. Audio is a peripheral interest. RC Helicopters can and have sucked up more of my time than is healthy and I have to purposefully pull back. At this point in my life time is almost always the limiting factor.

Ron, I believe you heard the Neoliths at a show, while the Arrakis was well set up at the designer's place. Maybe listen to Neolith at Gary's?

One thing I know about Ron is that he is very circumspect with his audio choices and will not jump without more than just a casual listen. He has the invite to Vegas and it is currently in his plans for next year. I have not heard the Arrakis' under any conditions so I cannot really give much of an opinion but Ron said what he was looking at was something like $220,000. At that price point there are a number of choices. This thread reminds me that I need to finish my Neolith thread so let me see if I can find it.

Gary

1. I am fairly familiar with Wilson X2 and XLF.

I was invited to audition the MBL X-Treme at the factory, but my experience with the 101E Mk II (with which I was absolutely enthralled initially, but I found ultimately to be slightly too bright even with tube electronics) suggests that adding another pair of tweeters (with the X-Treme) is not going to improve my brightness issue.

My first "religious" experience of the audio variety was listening to Infinity IRS Vs in 1988 at Lyric Hi-Fi in Manhattan (with Goldmund reference turntable and Jadis JA-200s).

I will be listening to Genesis 1.1s in December.

I have never heard the top Magico, YG, Sonus Faber or Tidal. But the Arrakis is the only dynamic driver speaker for which I would consider divorcing ML.

2. My room is a dedicated space, but not a dedicated room, meaning there is nothing going in the space except the stereo, but the right sidewall is 1/4 open to a large equipment room and the left side wall is 1/4 open to a hallway and 2/3 open to a kitchen. The room is 20' wide, 25' long and 14' high.

3. Can you cook?

1. Impressive. I have shy'd away from hearing stuff I cannot afford, but I have heard the XLF, TAD Ref 1, Aidas... but I stopped my auditioning there. I would probably make sure to hear the Q7mk2 if I were you.... at that price point, you are in extremely rare air and likely you're probably only among the handful who will have experience with said products.
2. Room seems big enough.... wish I had that size dedicated space.
3. I cannot cook... but I can provide you with some amps. However, I do not think they are up to your gear's standards however. :(

Joey, I was thinking of asking YOU to adopt ME!

Different universes!
Ah you see Bernard.... you gotta aim higher.

Be adopted by the guy with the Arrakis on his radar, not the guy with the Aviors.

You aimed low on this one... rofl.....

1. I would probably make sure to hear the Q7mk2 if I were you.... at that price point,(

I have heard S3, S5, Q3, and Q5. Not Q7. But the first 4 sounded the same to me though

I think the later.

Amen to that...

Hi this guy has now ordered his Analysis Omega. He heard the Epsilon (the lower down version that I don't like) and was so impressed that he ordered the Omega. It will be interesting to see how that panel does with the SMT diffusors close behind. I will get to hear it with the Tenor Audio 350w hybrid OTLs next year.

Another planar magnetic victim.

Hope the amps work. Not guaranteed. I think amp matching is a swine with planar magnetics of that quality level.

The amps retailed at $100k - they better work - actually Omegas have a flat impedance curve though low sensitivity, so they are easy to drive as long as the amp has power. The Amphitryon are easy to drive even with 60w SET. Unlike Apogees

Nooo - depends on the Apogee. Try driving the Amphitryon with 18 Watts SET, then try Apogee Definitive with the same. One will work well the other will fail. And it won't be the Apogee that fails. Definitive is also larger.

Modern day Apogee have not only made some of the most efficient planar magnetic speakers ever made, but also the most structurally rigid PMs ever made bar none.

I'm talking about a good sound quality match - not a power match.

Last edited:
Ok probably listening to full range and divas on 29th in frankfurt. Henk restored, and Graz ribbons

In some aspects yes. The frame rigidity is off the scale I believe. They'll be cleaner/less coloured as a result.

I can't really comment and will probably never know as I'll probably never hear Full Range. You however probably will hear both.

Back