MartinLogans to Rockports?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RonR

Reaction score
Has anyone switched from MartinLogan speakers to Rockport Technologies speakers?

I would be grateful to understand the thought process and the reasons which led a MartinLogan owner to switch to Rockport speakers.

While I can't say why someone would switch, as that is a call made by the person making the switch, I will say that the absolute finest system I've ever heard has Rockport speakers. No ML speaker, to my ears, comes even close to what that system sounds like and I really like ML speakers.

While I can't say why someone would switch, as that is a call made by the person making the switch, I will say that the absolute finest system I've ever heard has Rockport speakers. No ML speaker, to my ears, comes even close to what that system sounds like and I really like ML speakers.

I heard the Aviors recently, but Ron is referring to the Arrakis which he heard a couple of days ago. Which Rockports are you referring to?

Some perspective. The Arrakis Ron heard retails at 165k! And he had TTs and electronics to go with that, Transparent Opus cabling. He used to own Prodigys and is looking at Neoliths.

I heard the Avior here, in a completely SMT filled room, with Tenor 350 amps ($100k retail), and Total dac 12 (30k Euro).

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...reference-room&p=340989&viewfull=1#post340989

Verdict? Panels better, easily, even my previous humble set up. Not to mention the owner of that Avior system is planning a move to panels.

My report on that here http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...reference-room&p=346848&viewfull=1#post346848

And him mentioning he wants to go panels a couple of posts after that.

Avior.jpg

Last edited:
Has anyone switched from MartinLogan speakers to Rockport Technologies speakers?

I would be grateful to understand the thought process and the reasons which led a MartinLogan owner to switch to Rockport speakers.

Ron,

As you know, no one hears the way you do and given your apparent sensitivity to high frequencies, that further complicates the process.

And, of course, everything else in your system, including your room, will impact your judgment.

Good luck.

Gordon

Kedar,

That photo looks like something in an insane asylum specializing in treating audio crazy people.

GG

Yes, Gordon, that is completely true. I am trying to decide between Neoliths and Arrakis.

As Bonzo correctly discloses I heard on Friday a very well set up Arrakis/VTL/vinyl system. It has been suggested to me, a life-long fan and owner of MartinLogan panels, that the Arrakis might be the only dynamic driver system I could enjoy more than panels and for which I might divorce MartinLogan and not get Neoliths.

I found the Arrakis to be spectacular and superior to every other dynamic driver system I have ever heard. It is not, however, quite as transparent in the midrange as my beloved MartinLogans.

So the question for me is: is a slight diminution in midrange transparency on the Arrakis more than offset by dynamics, scale and realism in the body of instruments superior to MartinLogans?

Complicating the question at the moment is that I have not yet heard the Neoliths in a controlled, leisurely environment. Because the Neolith 12 inch driver reaches to 450 Hz I consider the Neolith to be a breakthrough for MartinLogan in dynamics in the upper base/lower midrange region.

Last edited:

Which Rockports did you hear?

So the question for me is: is a slight diminution in midrange transparency on the Arrakis more than offset by dynamics, scale and realism in the body of instruments superior to MartinLogans?

Only you can decide. All other opinions are purely speculative.

Arrakis. Total system cost I would estimate around $750K, give or take.

Vox Olympian system will be that cost, and a much cheaper western electric could possibly walk over both. Haven't heard the Arrakis, but the WE did walk over vox and magico ultimate ( 600k for speakers alone). And did hear the Altair ii with absolare though all were at the same show

Last edited:
Ron, I believe you heard the Neoliths at a show, while the Arrakis was well set up at the designer's place. Maybe listen to Neolith at Gary's?

Also, you meantioned 'realism' - are you trying to start another 40 page thread here? ;)

For those who don't know, Ron innocently asked on WBF what is a natural sound, because he found Steve's system sounding natural. This has kickstarted a debate still going strong after 40 pages http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?18815-quot-Natural-quot-Sound&p=349241#post349241

I was in a slightly devious mood when I started the "natural" thread on WBF. That is why my post was almost entirely rhetorical questions, offering people food for thought.

Hi Ron,

With all due respect, WBF is absolutely obsessed (neurotic IMHO) discussing the objective versus subjective topic. There have been countless examples of these type threads on WBF and many end up being closed because adults behave like children and take offense when someone disagrees with someone else. And then people start calling others names, they get disrespectful, and then it goes downhill from there. I stopped posting on WBF because of this infantile behavior.

On the previous WBF O vs S thread before yours, I asked the question why these type discussions continue to occur ad infinitum on WBF. Someone posted it was because of people's insecurities and that person was spot on. That thread came to a screaching halt within two days thereafter.

No one can conclusively say what is "natural" because everyone's system and everyone's ears are different.

And very few members, if any on MLO or WBF, could seriously consider the Arrakis because of the cost of the speakers as well as the ancillary gear to drive the beasts.

Good luck on your journey. I hope you don't waste alot of cash in your hunt for perfection. Very few people have taken the journey that you are about to embark upon and many have spent an enormous amount of money before they arrived at their "desired" destination. :cool:

Best,

Gordon

PS: I strongly suspect the mods of WBF would agree on my assessment.

PPS: Ron, looks like your "natural" thread on WBF is close to going down in flames (thread closed) for the same reasons as the previous O vs S discussions. 438 posts and counting. What a surprise.

Last edited:
Kedar,

That photo looks like something in an insane asylum specializing in treating audio crazy people.

GG

Gordon,

Your statement made me laugh. All the decorations on the side walls and ceiling just might be absorption and diffusion panels. I like the way

this room looks. Different from the normal. May also be termed crazy or something in an insane asylum by normal people.

Have fun listening to music!:music:

Rehan,

Looks like it would be good for "bouncing off the walls" if one does not like how the "system" is sounding. :rocker:

If you like, that's fine with me but it does come across as a bit "sterile" to say the least.

I'm glad it made you laugh.

Gordon

I was in a slightly devious mood when I started the "natural" thread on WBF. That is why my post was almost entirely rhetorical questions, offering people food for thought.

There wasn't anything devious about your question

Back