Accuphase M-60 Power Amps from 1975.

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

User211

Reaction score
Had a pair for a couple of weeks.

If ever there was a lesson that there hasn't been much in the way of progress in solid state amps these are surely a good one.

I'm currently rating them above any other class D or transistor amps I have had of the Apogees so far. They may even supersede my 211 monoblocks.

Rated at 300 Watt per channel, they can deliver 450 Watts into 8 or 540 Watts into 4 Ohms according to some chap's measurements on the web.

Far better than some recently tried 700 Watt SMPS Hypex class D efforts. So much better, in fact, it is a total joke. IMHO of course.

Good SS amps exist after all:ROFL:

Last edited:
Actual amps from the auction that sold them to me.

. $_57.jpg

Accuphase stuff is built to last for decades.. Very expensive here in the states and hard to find. I've always liked their stuff and should've purchased some amps while I was stationed in Japan in the 80's....

These were their first monoblocks and they must have caused quite a stir in 1975 I suspect.

Everything seems fine internally and I am loathe to recap or change anything unless necessary.

The power meters are interesting. Drive the speaker's hard, and I mean hard, and the extra Wattage required for the last few DB shows them reading well past the 300 Watt mark well into the "unchartered region".

Louder, obviously, than the 211s can manage. At such power levels they sound completely on top of the situation.

Sound quality really is very good indeed, at all volume levels it would seem.

Accuphase stuff is built to last for decades.. Very expensive here in the states and hard to find. I've always liked their stuff and should've purchased some amps while I was stationed in Japan in the 80's....
Very popular in Germany-though these are rare-ish - check their eBay. No import tax to pay here either. Shipping such heavy, big amps is risky and one was slightly damaged externally which is a crying shame. It is just a distorted faceplate where the handle has pushed into it. Luckily I think it is repairable for minimal cost. Only a 2 or 3mm indent I am sure can be tapped out by a panel beater.

Last edited:
Tried the Lampizator Big 7 directly into the Accuphase last night. I wasn't so impressed.

There appears to be some sort of fluke synergy going on between the DAC, preamp and the Accuphase's that really works in my system. It is a good reason to hate preamps, in the sense that adding superfluous circuitry shouldn't result in a better sound. Here it most definitely does result in a better perceived result.

It would seem sensible, therefore, to state that these aren't necessarily going to work for everyone in every situation. They just seem to be a very good match with the kit that comprises my system at present.

A bit of a gamble that paid off? I think so, apart from the minor shipping issue.

Had a pair for a couple of weeks.

I'm currently rating them above any other class D or transistor amps I have had of the Apogees so far.

Far better than some recently tried 700 Watt SMPS Hypex class D efforts. So much better, in fact, it is a total joke. IMHO of course.

IMHO too, though I have never heard the accuphase. Even the MBL class D amp, which is a good class D amp, was no match for Ypsilon integrated or of course their own class A. In the dealer's honest opinion too, "this is a good class D amp, but it is a class D amp". They measure well though.

Big Congrat's on those lovely M-60 monos!! If it ain't broke don't fix it, ya know? They should last quite well even if you push them hard.

Most folks think you need the newest, biggest amp for MLs/Apogees ect... , they forget the classics from the great designers from the old school who Knew what makes a speaker sing. I have no qualms about powering my Summits with a tasty vintage SAE A202, wonderful liquid sonics but, a Bit low on power...so I've got the SAE A1000 on it's way, pre tested with the big Infinity RS's :) . Pics and review soon!

I was also looking at some classic Accuphase amps but wanted something in the 500wpc continuance rating which put them sadly out of my price range...

I have to say I vastly prefer the 1975 Accuphase aesthetics to the current one. They look fabulous in the rack. I'll post a photo at some stage.

I should maybe point out that I have had a lot of different amps on both pairs of Duettas I have owned. Around 25 I'd guess, the vast majority being solid state class A/B or class D. Your point:

"Most folks think you need the newest, biggest amp for MLs/Apogees ect... , they forget the classics from the great designers from the old school who Knew what makes a speaker sing. "

appears very valid. Because these are the best so far in my system. Lovely things indeed. I'm very, very happy with them:)

Justin,

How does it compare with the Parasound which, if I recall, you liked quite a bit?

GG

In danger of falling into a load of subjective gobbledygook Gordon but here goes.

The Parasound A21 was/is a highly impressive amp - a really high performance design that was rather too much to live with long term.

These are far more even handed in their delivery. They don't hype to sound impressive they just naturally sound very good. It would be easy to say they lack speed compared to the Parasound, but then something comes along that is just so startling quick you realise they also have that attribute but they just don't push it about as much i.e. there's no apparent hype.

They don't seem to have much personality, which is rare. They're easily driving the mid-range/treble ribbon with greater clarity/natural ease and less fuss than any other amps so far. They make the job seem easy where some other amps have really struggled.

Jerry's comment (the 116F owner) was that he agreed with my wife - they are the best so far. They really suit the speakers. He's heard quite a few different amps on the Duettas.

I'll put them on his 116F's during the Christmas break I suspect. Should be very interesting.

Errr...you need some ebony footers under those, me thinks
Shun Mook Diamond Resonators, nothing less, right Kedar? Actually, I shouldn't be kidding as I heard the impact on (sorry, under) Roberto's preamp.

Justin, I had a cap go in one of my old ARC monoblocks a while ago. It did so in a spectacular fashion - an ear-ringing BANG!, taking the rectifiers with it. So I replaced all of the caps (in both amps), and the rectifiers in the one that went kaka. You should seriously consider replacing yours, considering they are 40 years old.

No Bernard. It is a solid state amp that I believe has been unused for many years. It stays as it is. I think there's plenty of life left in them.

Course I could be wrong. But tube amp caps generally have a much harder life.

Back