The Dreaded Nextel Goo Syndrome

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soundtechguy

Reaction score
I have seen it mentioned that the Nextel finish used on older Martin Logan products is toxic. That being said, does anyone know the specifics of the toxic properties? I would imagine that it should not be toxic in its normal state, but when it breaks down into that gooey mess, I can see where maybe the product is something to be worried about (especially if removed by scraping it off or using a chemical). It is always good practice to hear rubber gloves, safety glasses, etc. when performing such a task regardless.

I am in the process of a complete restoration of a pair of Quest speakers that have a severe breakdown of the Nextel coating. I have found that denatured alcohol is an enemy of Nextel. It dissolves it pretty well and allows the material to be wiped off. It will be messy and time consuming, but effective. If anyone has other suggestions... please chime in.

Once this stuff is removed, I think a light sanding will be all that is needed to give me a good clean surface to apply a new finish. I have decided to use Duratex to replace the Nextel. For those unfamiliar with the product, I have used it on concert touring speakers with great success. It is a tough coating (tough like bed liner coating) that can be applied in a few different ways to give a textured satin black look. The texture can be altered from course to fine depending on the way it is applied. I think a fine texture would make a great looking backside to the Quest speakers. Here is an example of the Duratex finish:

Duratex 1.jpg

I have also found the Duratex coating to graciously fill in imperfections and reduce resonance of speaker enclosures.

Last edited:
Here's an MSDS for the product (or a similar one, at least). I have no wish to be a scaremonger but The Material Safety Data Sheet yields good information, which is obviously its purpose.

Looks like the substance is an irritant, non-carcinogenic. Reading the MSDS, my main concern would be eye damage.

As far as chemical release from burning the stuff is concerned, the carbon monoxide is definitely a concern; formic acid less so.

I'd wear PPE if I were working with the stuff, but wouldn't worry about sharing a room with it.

MSDS here: http://www.thermostatic.com/pdf/nextel312msds.pdf

Cool and thanks for the info! I planned on wearing coveralls, rubber gloves, eye protection, etc and doing the removal on a plastic sheet outside in an industrial area so I should be in good shape.

In case anyone decides to take the plunge and strip off the Nextel finish... Denatured Alcohol works like a charm. I will cover it in my DIY Quest project posts, but thought I'd mention it here as a tip.

Latest posts

Back