Oppo hook up

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CLIFF

Reaction score
Hi all, i have just had my oppo 95 modded by joe rasmussen,here in australia
(very happy with it,) i can now do away with the pre amp, and hook direct to my amp from the oppo.
Has anyone else done this??? Just wondering what others have experienced doing same.cheers cliff.

Hi all, i have just had my oppo 95 modded by joe rasmussen,here in australia
(very happy with it,) i can now do away with the pre amp, and hook direct to my amp from the oppo.
Has anyone else done this??? Just wondering what others have experienced doing same.cheers cliff.

CLIFF,

I might have gone this way with direct variable XLR output from Sony X707ES attached to Sony power amp XLR input. I made a small mistake and got Sony X505ES and Sony integrated F808ES.

My point is that the latter combination was good but not better than the first possible un-attempted combination. 21 years ago I was unaware of the difference between XLR and RCA connections.

Three points here,

First, the power amp has to be without volume controls or if amplifier has gain controls, they should be set at maximum level. Volume needs to be adjusted through the source only.

Second, the Oppo output should have less impedance than the input impedance of the power amp. The difference has to be, I remember reading somewhere a very long time ago, at least a multiple of 10.

Third, if the Oppo output in volts is approx. 2 volts then nearly all power amps are not overloaded by this voltage. If the Oppo volts output is not line-level but is a higher value then depending on the specific power amp may or may not be overloaded at relatively high volume set at the source. Overloading causes audible distortion.

Have fun listening to music!:music:

Back