Why the angle

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khenegar

Reaction score
Why did Martin Logan decide to angle there speakers back on there summit X speakers and other models? Previous and now? Doesn't look like the neoliths are angle back or the Clx's.

Why did Martin Logan decide to angle there speakers back on there summit X speakers and other models? Previous and now? Doesn't look like the neoliths are angle back or the Clx's.

The angle is to accommodate better integration into a family room situation rather than dedicated 2ch room. The rake back is allow for people to walk around and still hear a good portion of the sound.

Plus, the CLX and the Neos are humongous. If you rake those back, you gotta be a like a 7 ft tall person to benefit.

LOL..

The angle is to accommodate better integration into a family room situation rather than dedicated 2ch room. The rake back is allow for people to walk around and still hear a good portion of the sound.

Plus, the CLX and the Neos are humongous. If you rake those back, you gotta be a like a 7 ft tall person to benefit.

LOL..

Joey is right. Martin Logans are a line source. Look that up if you don't understand and want more information.

I leveled mine out and sure the highs fade when you stand up, but the sound sitting on the couch is fantastic.

I used Room EQ to see what happened to the frequency response when adjusting toe in, distance from the front wall and the tilt of the panels.

2 degrees back

I actually noticed that I still have a little tilt in mine, but it is very little.

I've got an odd shaped room and when I used RoomEQ frequency sweeps for each of my speakers independently there was a notch in the bass on one side at 70-80 Hz with a bump on both sides, and a notch at 50Hz on the other side with bumps on both sides, by adjusting the bass amplification on each side and adjusting the relative height of the speakers. I was able to effectively flatten that out. I ended up lifting the left speaker about 1/3" higher than the right but reducing it's amplification.

I've still not had any luck using room treatments. I've experimented quite a bit with 3 pieces of 4" thick Owen's Corning 2'x4' 703 acoustical foam and it really hasn't done anything to help the comb filtering in my room.

Why didn't ML just make the base taller and have the panels at a 90 degree angle?

They did with the Gen 2.

But there are many technical factors to consider in the overall sonic design of a speaker, including compromises. And that's before they also need to consider cost of materials, cost of manufacture, cost of shipping, appearance, and the overall market segment they wish to target. Like everything, it's a design compromise.

Martin Logan received feedback from owners of generation 1 and 2 loudspeakers that when seated the sound is best with nearly no angle backwards.

They must have tested or researched this claim and found out , yes indeed this is true. Therefore the next generation like Neolith and CLX are built with little angle backwards.

For me definitely when i am seated the best sound is when the CLS panels are 90 degrees perpendicular to the floor.

Khenegar, hope i have answered your question.

Last edited by a moderator:
When we toured ML HQ in 2007, we brought this up with their designers, the Summit X integrated rake spikes soon afterwards.

That was technically our brainchild.

I put a DVD case under the back of each speaker and it sounds 10X better. I can't think of a speaker that can touch it. If Magnolia in Best buys did this, they wouldn't be able to keep these speakers in stock. The rake has to be close to 90 degrees or you don't get the sound that people rave about..

I suspect the TOTAL height of the Summit/Montis/etc. series was also based on shipping needs (including best fit of boxes into shipping containers for overseas distribution), plus easier integration into typical domestic family rooms. The Summit X leg assembly was ML's (elegant) solution for the rake angle issue. It appears the new Renaissance series, being taller, has eliminated the need for a Summit X style leg assembly, instead using a basic leg/spike with minimal adjustments, since the default rake angle is already nearly vertical.

Latest posts

Back