how high should my center channel be?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AeR0

Reaction score
just wondering how high i should have my center channel?

also what are some options for a floating shelf or a pedestal stand for a martin logan motion 50xt?

"Ideally" it should be centered behind your screen, but most of the time they are put as high as possible but centered below the screen.

Just my subjective opinion but i would keep Motion 50 XT tweeter at ear level when i am seated. I completely agree with Mark that screen should then be placed above center channel.

Have fun listening to music!:music:

Last edited by a moderator:
Ideally ear level and at the same level as the mid/tweeter of your front L and R speakers.

. I completely agree with Mark that screen should then be placed above center channel.

.................except , if you have an acoustically transparent screen , then it can be placed ideally at ear level regardless of screen height / location.

Good front speakers create a good "stage" placement, the centre speaker is actually for those people who are not within aprox 30 degrees in front of the screen. (because the are not in the "sweet spot"). So if you are right in front, no center speaker has to be used. In my opinion it even sounds better with center switched off.
So if you watch with one or two people the problem is solved.
But if i had to choose for the position, just below the screen (i use a part of the mirage omnipolar LCR combined with infinty SW10 subwoofer as a center)

Best location: Centered behind acoustically transparent screen.

If a tweeter-based design, then tweeter ideally even with the ones in the L/R pair.

When dealing with a flat-screen TV, typically the best option is just below the screen itself. This usually involves a custom mount, as most TV furniture places the center waaay to low.

BTW- click the SL3XC in my sig to see the ideal ML center ;)

I have my center channel just barely below the bottom of my 75" TV. The Left and right channels are hung on the wall in the front corners of the room. That's how my home was wired when I purchased it.

It sounds "good" but although the center channel and L AND R have identical tweeters and drivers and match in tone so that the sub woofer comes in correctly for all of them, sometimes I hear things coming from the corners of the room and it doesn't sound "natural".

Latest posts

Back