In the market for a new pair of subs

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

risabet

Reaction score
My old, trusty Velodyne f-1000 finally gave up the ghost after 20+ years of flawless service so I'm now looking at a pair of subs. I am leaning towards a pair of REL T5, yes money is an issue. The middle daughter is going to college next year and her first choice is circa $64k/year. Any other recommendations under $1500 for a pair?:think:

There are plenty of choices, but the usual questions apply:

1) What max SPL do you want to achieve?
2) At what minimum frequency?
3) How large a sub can tolerate in your room?
4) Do you want any special features e.g. built-in PEQ?

Believe me, I can relate to your tuition story right about now.

100 to 105dB
25Hz
No bigger than the Velodyne was
No special features other than continuously variable phase

My old, trusty Velodyne f-1000 finally gave up the ghost after 20+ years of flawless service so I'm now looking at a pair of subs. I am leaning towards a pair of REL T5, yes money is an issue. The middle daughter is going to college next year and her first choice is circa $64k/year. Any other recommendations under $1500 for a pair?:think:

Martin Logan Dynamo 700, 300 watt RMS, 10 inch cone driver. $ 695 each.

Rel T-5i:

Price $750

Size driver 8 in.

Power 125 RMS

Frequency Response low 32 Hz

Phase 0, 180

ML Dynamo 700:

Price $ 695

Size driver 10in

Power 300 RMS

Frequency Response low 24 Hz

Phase 0, 90, 180

Conclusion:

First, since your main speakers are ML a sub from the same company should match better main speakers rather than sub from different company.

Second, The ML sub due to higher power handling should be better suited for home theater.

Third, you will not have to drive to high volume the ML sub because of its high power handling. Thus the comparatively low depreciation it is hoped will

add to long life of ML sub.

HOWEVER, all bets will be off if the REL audio quality is better than ML. This just might be the case since REL specializes in or builds only sub-woofers.

Last edited by a moderator:
How do these compare to JL F113 which can be found used around that price?

Edit no, actually even used it can be more, it's in GBP that it can come to around that figure
Kedar, did you see risabet's max size requirement? Velo 1000 is a 14.25" cube.

And, he wants two subs for $1,500 total, not one.

Last edited:
Kedar, did you see risabet's max size requirement? Velo 1000 is a 14.25" cube.

And, he wants two subs for $1,500 total, not one.

I'd like the SVS PB-2000 if it wasn't for the weird grill on it. It is massive, but I think it would look cool in my Media room. I paid $190 to have the electronics on my Velodyne serviced(replaced) a year and a half ago. They replaced the blown driver under warranty. It's good enough for movies for now.

Congrats on the college thing!! Good way to spend money my friend.

Re the sub... I am partial to Velodyne DD..... but would be hard to find a pair for the price.

Back