Odyssey Rear Woofer Problem

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaffrie

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Need some advice. Notice that one of the rear 10 inch woofer has develop a distortion under heavy bass
condition. Remove to physically check the woofer & it looks ok no rubbing or what so ever.
Any ideas ? Also tried flipping the speaker connection but still same. The front 8 inch woofer is fine
no distortion of any sort

Thanks

Hola. It looks, based on your problem description, that you have a loose coil into the woofer. Under heavy demand of bass, the coil touches the wall of the magnet, and produces the distortion.

You can send the woofer to a speaker's cone repair shop, or buy a new woofer. If you repair it, its OK.

Hi Roberto,

Thank you for the advice. May I ask, is there anyway to check the state of the woofer to confirm your diagnosis ?
It only happens when I play very loud & with very bass heavy music like Kudo Drums & even then the music must
have continuous fast drum beat to cause this distortion.

Many thanks again

have you tried swapping the speaker wires between L and R speaker to make sure the problem is not elsewhere? (swap the speaker wires not interconnects)

also, I'm assuming that you have speaker feet (or spikes) screwed in, correct?

and check around that woofer to make sure there is no air leakage (failed eoofer-to-cabinet seal)

I had my odyssey front woofer distorted the same as your situation before. Sent it to repair and used it for 4 months and problem came back. Called Martin Logan and ordered a new one couple weeks ago and problem solved. Kinda expensive, $245 a woofer, but now everything is working good. I recommend buy a new one instead of trying to repair it, save time and money.

Back