Crossover hz

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khenegar

Reaction score
If your crossing over your main speakers at 30hz to your sub what should the crossover setting be set for on the sub?

If your crossing over your main speakers at 30hz to your sub what should the crossover setting be set for on the sub?

Hola Ken, what kind speakers are you crossing at 30Hz? If you are crossing your Summits, my advice is that you should not. Just play them in full range. The bass at your Summits its one of the best available today in the market place. You have two controls there. One is at 25Hz and the other is at 50Hz. There is no need to add a sub, unless you are going to play heavy low frequency content like a pipe organ. The frequency of the lowest musical note in a concert Steinway Piano is 27.5Hz, and usually it is not played because its so low, that the piano has difficulties to reproduce it.

Go to this page and see which musical instruments go below this musical note: https://www.google.com/search?q=fre...urcgOQEkM:&usg=__5CCnE2hMBN2qC8RUWHM94FF9QWg=

Hola Ken, what kind speakers are you crossing at 30Hz? If you are crossing your Summits, my advice is that you should not. Just play them in full range. The bass at your Summits its one of the best available today in the market place. You have two controls there. One is at 25Hz and the other is at 50Hz. There is no need to add a sub, unless you are going to play heavy low frequency content like a pipe organ. The frequency of the lowest musical note in a concert Steinway Piano is 27.5Hz, and usually it is not played because its so low, that the piano has difficulties to reproduce it.

Go to this page and see which musical instruments go below this musical note: https://www.google.com/search?q=fre...urcgOQEkM:&usg=__5CCnE2hMBN2qC8RUWHM94FF9QWg=

Hi roberto,
Opened the link and saw the chart of instruments and the frequency range they cover. From the chart to me it seemed that no instrument other than a pipe organ goes below 20 Hz.

I think our friend Ken plans to use a multi-channel setup. Therefore the need for sub. I would go the purist route and listen to only two channels.

Roberto your advice to Ken is knowledge in the making and like always is very accurate.

adding to Roberto…….. do you know the freq response of your mains within your room ? if so, I have found my beat results are when I 'roll' the sub in at a point where the mains begin to dip.

Hopefully Jonathan (Jonfo) will chime in with his expertise

Hi roberto,
Opened the link and saw the chart of instruments and the frequency range they cover. From the chart to me it seemed that no instrument other than a pipe organ goes below 20 Hz.

I think our friend Ken plans to use a multi-channel setup. Therefore the need for sub. I would go the purist route and listen to only two channels.

Roberto your advice to Ken is knowledge in the making and like always is very accurate.
Repertory: I am using my subs with multi channel setup when listening to analogue I bypass all processing and use 2 channel bypass

Ken, if you want to add more low frequency info, cut the subs at 30Hz, and just add the weight bass that you are trying to get with their volume knob. Keep your Summits without any cut. Just, at the speakers adjustments in your Lexicon or similar, say Full Range for the L & R front.

adding to Roberto…….. do you know the freq response of your mains within your room ? if so, I have found my beat results are when I 'roll' the sub in at a point where the mains begin to dip.

Hopefully Jonathan (Jonfo) will chime in with his expertise

Exactly Dave...but having two 10" woofers on each Summit, (two amps on each Summit of 200watts for each woofer) its an audiophile dream!. You can adjust at your golden seating position, the right amount of bass energy right there. You have two control knobs. one control at 25Hz +-10dB (this is a 20dB range of adjustment) and another at 50Hz +-10dB too.

At the factory, the knobs at the center is the flatter frequency response in a special chamber where the measurements are done. We can accurate control the stationary standing waves that any room might suffer. Here is where I am always saying, trust your ears and liking.

Try to emulate the instruments there, in your own room. Listen to unplugged music live, and not too big orchestras. Live piano, bass and drums. A guitar, a trumpet and some percussion instruments. And of course, human voice.

We all know that there is a difference in time to our ears, the waves that comes from the front of the speakers, and the ones that are coming from the back wall of the panels. This delay time waves, is what makes the truly sense of a 3D stage. Typical from 2 to 3 feet away from the back wall, is enough for this advantage of ML di-polar panel.

Again, all depends of liking. You can make a small room where you have your system and feel there, the sense of being in a big concert hall. But too much bass energy spoils it. You might think that the bass player is next to you and the other instruments are at the stage. Or, also you might have a one bass note resonating in a certain frequency, making your system not too accurate at the bass. I wish I could explain this better, but my language limitation is always fooling me. My advice again is: trust your ears. They are the final judges!!!

Assuming you are not using room correction or parametric EQ, you need to take into account the natural roll off of the filters in both the speakers and the sub.

My advice would be to let the speakers play full range, and adjust the sub to blend in........but if your speakers roll off (-3dB) at 30Hz, you do not want to set your sub xover at 30Hz unless it is has an extraordinarily steep filter like 100dB/octave. If it is the more common first/second order then you'll need to set it much higher than that. Experiment and let your ears decide.

Hola Amey...I do believe that the Summits are very good with bass response, and their specifications are that they go down as low at 24Hz-3dB. If you apply 20Hz, you will shake your room with it. Having a control of 25Hz+-10dB, you are able to adjust the lowest notes of an organ, in your room. Also, being the sound logarithmic, you can correct the frequency response at certain level, lets say at 85dB of SPL, but just moving 5 dB up o or down, the frequency response curve varies. The problem is the absorption coefficient (Sabin) of different materials in the room, makes it a difficult task. Using a real time analyzer, supplying a pink noise, you can see how the frequency room response varies between +-5dB. Its something that we have to live with it, and the trick or the tweak for having a "better room or better sound" depends basically on your adjustments, your room acoustics and liking...your ears.

I am with you...the clue is experimentation. The LFE from the Lexicon, is for movies, not for music, as he said. Your recommendation is super valid!!! Best advice.

Khenegar have you posted your audio system details and image under member systems?

If you have not posted then please, for all of us to read, please do post image and details of your audio system.

If you face problems doing so i would be more than happy to help. Just PM me. I can guide you through the procedure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back