Prodigy repair

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Theother1

Reaction score
I see a set of Prodigy's on CL in my area. Price is cheap, but also states that the front woofers are not functioning. Anybody give me a little background on these drivers and crossovers so I can determine if the cheap price is a deal, or just a suckers bet?

Thanks in advance!

FYI-I am mildly handy at repairing speakers. Nothing over the top, but I follow instructions very well, and am willing to roll up my sleeves, be patient, and try.

I believe ML's during this era used Vifa woofers, either paper or Al cone, depending on the year. Prodigy uses 2 10 inch woofers, although I don't know the impedance (4 or 8 Ohm). Nor have I seen the xo, but it should be nothing special. You can find PnP woofer replacements today made by ScanSpeak and others.

When checking them out, make sure the panels play at the same level, and that the diaphragm is intact and stretched, and that the front and rear stators are perfectly aligned. Good luck!

Last edited:
Theother1,

It is my understanding that the exact front woofer is no longer produced. It is aluminum and the rear paper.

BUT this may help you get close and close may be close enough. I ran across the data below in the ML archive from Odysseus.

These are the original specs for the front woofer:

Scan Speak 25w/8567-01 ML part number***D10NK

Description*8 ohm 10" woofer

Parts:
*Surround***rubber roll
*Cone****Aluminum
*Former****Aluminum
*Frame material**Cast
*Copper shorting rings

Theil-Small parameters:

*Fs****19.7Hz
*Qms****4.6
*Qe****0.35
*Qt****0.32
*BL****9.18 Tm
*Re****5.61 ohm
*Md****41.88 g
*Vas****244 L
*Le****0.62 mH
*Sd****333 sq cm

Performance:

*Xmax (linear)***
*Xmax (non linear)**

Dimensions:

*Depth from baffle**
*Outside diameter**255mm
*Inside Diameter**227mm
*Mounting holes diameter*5mm
*Hole locations 6places*D246.5mm

Created: *5/30/01
Modified:*
Rev:**0

I am sure you can find a reasonable match. Depending on how much you are willing to spend ML may still have some in stock for repairs. Old stock is usually very expensive.

Bruce

Last edited:
It's time for an update to this thread.

And the news is good!

The bad news for me was that I toasted one of my rear woofers. It still worked but it rattled. I contacted MartinLogan support and they were extremely helpful.

Of course the woofers that they had made for them and have inventoried for quite a while have a huge cost. In fact the rear woofer is still $775!

But here's the good news!!! Just read the reply I got from MartinLogan;

The woofer we have here for the rear of the Prodigy is the D10AL, which is also the same as the front ( only) woofer used in the Ascent_i. The only difference is these are aluminum with a silver cone.

These are pretty expensive ( $775 ea.) .

A better option can be found here- it is essentially the same woofer from the same manufacturer, only without the “zig” logo.

It’s about $100. I know which one I would buy. Specs are listed on the website.

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.c...very-26w/4534g-10-aluminum-cone-woofer-4-ohm/

But wait, it gets better for just $14.95 :haha1:

Actually he was off by five dollars. It was $105 and since I want a matched pair I ordered two. With orders of over $120 there was no shipping. Woo hoo! And no tax for Texas. Woo hoo again! So for just 210 bucks I got two new rear woofers of better quality than the originals at least as far as cone material is concerned and what MartinLogan recommends.

Last edited:
Okay Bruce that's great, but I need a front woofer not a back woofer.

Oh my friend I have information for you too.

I thought since it had an aluminum cone that it might be the same as the front woofer. It is not and the front woofer is more money than the rear woofer. But not $775, as I recall it's about $230.

Here is MartinLogan service answer to my question about the front woofer;

No, it is different- the good news is there is an off the shelf replacement for this as well.
https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/approx-10-woofers/scanspeak-classic-25w/8565-00-10-woofer/

So even if you have an old pair of prodigy you can still keep them going.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back