think I have dead panel

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timm

Reaction score
Hi all -- I am heading out the door for vacation... and turn on the stereo... and notice right channel seems a bit low.. I go over... and I have an issue with my right channel (oddysey).... The blue light is not on on the speaker..... the panel is playing a bit out of it..... woofers seem to be working..... any idea and associated cost of the fix? Other channel seems fine.....

I thought maybe it might be something upstream (a tube possibly) - but, then when I checked the ML logo - and it was out.... (yes I tried hitting the on/off switch)...... My un-educated guess is power supply - but, only because I have read up on the forum here and heard folks talk about it....

Any help appreciated.... I may not get back to this for a week..... but may check back during my vacation when in a wi-fi spot....

Thanks a lot -- Tim.

Yep, could be the power supply, or a blown fuse, if your power supply has one. Don't let it spoil your vacation, it can be fixed.

Interesting Tim …………. in all my years when leaving the house to go on vacation, I have never 'turned on' my stereo ……….

Hate to ask the obvious but did you check the plug?

Interesting Tim …………. in all my years when leaving the house to go on vacation, I have never 'turned on' my stereo ……….

Well yes Dave. I guess that does deserve an explanation... Haha. The night before I got home late - but I got my turntable back from my son along with about 200 classical records in vinyl that he was given via a relative of a friend. I didn't have time to try it out the night before so I was kind of anxious to hear some of it. That's when I discovered the issue. Put a cd on and same issue as well. My son is moving to Cali and doesn't have room in the car for the vinyl. So I stepped up for safe keeping... :)

U know. Good question. I have something else plugged in there as well. But I guess it is possible that one of the plugs in the pair faltered ...but am doubting. I will check it out when I get back.

Timm,

I had a similar situation with my Odyssey's years back with one of the panels. Jim Power first said to swap the panel that wasn't working into the other speaker. If it works there, there is nothing wrong with the panel as was my case.

Jim said 99.9% it was the circuit board and sent me a new one under warranty which would have been $1000 then. Sure enough that was it and I was back in business. Also check that your speaker cables are tight at both the amp and speaker post.

So I wanted to follow up here. Called ML and their initial thought is power supply. About a 350 dollar charge for that. Does anyone know of fuses or anything like that? I would hate to purchase and 'DOH!!'

I doubt if it is a panel because it was immediate and the blue logo went out too. But if anyone wants to disagree I would be happy to listen.

Hola Tim. To be sure that its the power supply unit (PSU), swap them, and if the working speaker is not, then you did find the problem. If this is the case, there is tiny little transformer there, usually, that´s the problem. Take a pic of the power supply board, and seeing it, we might help.

Well oddly enough. I unplugged everything went and flipped the breaker and now things are working. It makes no sense. I was getting power - plugged a lamp into the socket a couple days ago. Decided to give it one more go but had unplugged everything prior to my trip. When I plugged back in my power conditioner wouldn't come on. Hence I went to the breakers ... So I'm confused. Starting to find it to be a common occurrence !! Lets see how it rolls. Maybe I have a wire issue to the socket.

All I know is... I FIXED IT!!! LOL.

Maybe an intermittent breaker or a loose connection to the breaker. Pull that baby out and check it. Simple enough fix.

Back