Summit panel crackling

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khenegar

Reaction score
One of my summit stat panels is crackling loud when powering down after the blue light goes out? Does not do this when powering up! Any ideas on this condition and if it is something to worry about and how to correct it. Thanks

The other week, I had an unfortunate insect cause visible and audible sparking.

Have you tried vacuuming the panels?

Most certainly worth doing so, altho one might expect both panels to exhibit similar dust related indications.
In the end seeking technical advice might be better directed at ML customer/technical support.

Crackling

Most certainly worth doing so, altho one might expect both panels to exhibit similar dust related indications.
In the end seeking technical advice might be better directed at ML customer/technical support.
Yes I have vacuumed them? I contacted Martin Logan they mentioned if it is not occurring during playback not to worry about it. If not if I want switch panels to see if it goes with the panel! And if not replace the panels! I'm undecided on what to do! Replacement can be expensive! What would you do? Thanks

Can you describe the symptom better than 'crackling'? If it's HV arcing from diaphragm to stator, then you need to find that spot on the panel where it's happening and see if there's some dirt that can be removed. And if it's actually arcing, then I WOULD worry about it because that can burn a hole!

Crackling

Can you describe the symptom better than 'crackling'? If it's HV arcing from diaphragm to stator, then you need to find that spot on the panel where it's happening and see if there's some dirt that can be removed. And if it's actually arcing, then I WOULD worry about it because that can burn a hole!

Tosh: there is no arcing ! the crackling noise is like when your pouring milk onto a bowl of rice Krispy cereal! Then it goes away!

Have you checked the panels for dents/scratches inflicted by a careless person or pet?

Have you checked the panels for dents/scratches inflicted by a careless person or pet?

Victor I checked every bit of the panel it looks mint no dents no scratches Mylar looks good. If I was to localize it it seems more rnoticeable at the bottom of the panel!

Yes I have vacuumed them? I contacted Martin Logan they mentioned if it is not occurring during playback not to worry about it. If not if I want switch panels to see if it goes with the panel! And if not replace the panels! I'm undecided on what to do! Replacement can be expensive! What would you do? Thanks

khenegar, I don't know if your problem is dust related, or insect like someone else said, but I had dust problem too in the past. I ended up finding a place on line that makes anti-static dust covers for electrostatic speakers. Here is a pic I posted in another thread of the covers I got. the website is audioarmorusa.com, maybe worth checking out for future maintenance
dustcover_small_pic.jpg

When I was having issues with my Ethos, I ended up swapping a lot of components back and forth between the two speakers. Swapping panels is not too difficult.

noise

When I was having issues with my Ethos, I ended up swapping a lot of components back and forth between the two speakers. Swapping panels is not too difficult.
jtucker: I swapped panels and the noise went with it! martin/logan feels if the panel is working with no distortion it should be ok!

jtucker: I swapped panels and the noise went with it! martin/logan feels if the panel is working with no distortion it should be ok!

Hello khenegar, I've been watching this thread as a Summit owner, these are somewhat new speakers so panel issues should be minimal (abuse like heavy smoking, flinging of hot oils during sex while listening to Bach...etc...etc notwithstanding). You vacuumed them and took care of them. switched panels and it is the panel with the issue.

My old Sequels used to make that same noise when no music was playing however, they still sounded wonderful, it annoyed me! They were so old the sereal #'s aren't on the website. If you aren't hearing any sonic distortion and you don't plan on selling them soon, no worrys mate!

Hello khenegar, I've been watching this thread as a Summit owner, these are somewhat new speakers so panel issues should be minimal (abuse like heavy smoking, flinging of hot oils during sex while listening to Bach...etc...etc notwithstanding). You vacuumed them and took care of them. switched panels and it is the panel with the issue.

My old Sequels used to make that same noise when no music was playing however, they still sounded wonderful, it annoyed me! They were so old the sereal #'s aren't on the website. If you aren't hearing any sonic distortion and you don't plan on selling them soon, no worrys mate!

I do not notice any distortion while playing them so your advice is well received. Thanks

Back