The Essential Jean Michel Jarre.

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rehan Azim Hashmi

MLO Supporter
Reaction score
Creator:

Jean Michel Jarre.

Creation:

The Essential Jean Michel Jarre.

Copyright:

This compilation 2004.

CD Label:

Dreyfus records.

Genre:

Ambient, New age, electronic trance, progressive rock.

PICT0323.jpg

Description:

This CD has a great recording and receives a value of at least 4.5 from 5. The music recording is nuanced, clear and dynamic. This recording for a CD is exceptionally clear with comparatively no congestion in the music notes. Honors the concept of music is the space between the notes. All the individual sounds are zipping in and out, increasing, decreasing in intensity in their own points in the soundstage.

Music receives a value of at least 4 from 5. This music, a compilation by Jean Michel Jarre, is great fun to listen to. There is a great deal of synthesizer generated transients which create a two dimensional image or sound field when listened to through the CLS. Almost all tracks are fun to listen to.

The following tracks have excellent music substance and excellent audio quality:

Oxygene Part 4.

Zoolooklogie.

Equinoxe Part 4.

Oxygene Part 8.

Oxygene Part 2.

Equinoxe Part 5.

Souvenir de chine

Quatrieme Rendez-vous.

Oxygene Part 6.

Diva.

The following tracks have good music substance and good audio quality:

Band in the rain.

Calypso.

The following tracks have below average music substance and good audio quality:

C’est la vie.

Ethnicolor 1.

Chronologie Part 4.

Revolution, revolutions.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have "Oxygen" which I used to listen to a lot and "Zoolook" which he did with Lori Anderson.

Zoolook is bizarre. They used sampled voices from different languages and played with them, but also added some vocals by Lori Anderson.

I have "Oxygen" which I used to listen to a lot and "Zoolook" which he did with Lori Anderson.

Zoolook is bizarre. They used sampled voices from different languages and played with them, but also added some vocals by Lori Anderson.

Friend, if you enjoyed listening to "Oxygen" then you will like "The Essential J.M.J" to. The sound quality is very good.

After reading RCHeliGuy post i add to my post a word of caution to him and other readers. Since The Essential JMJ has track 1, 7, 15 extracts from Oxygen – 1976 and track 4 extract from Oxygen - 1997. In addition track 2, 6 and 16 extract from Zoolook. All the good tracks in this compilation you have already heard in Oxygen and Zoolook. Therefore, IMHO this CD will provide extra fun to listeners who have never heard music by J.M. J. or never heard Oxygen – 1976, Oxygen – 1997 and Zoolook.

Last edited by a moderator:
One of the best VHS concerts I ever owned was Paris La Defense, by JMJ. It's notable for being the third largest concert ever, topped only by another JMJ concert in Moscow and one by some guy called Rod Stewart in Rio de Janeiro. 2.5 million people thronged the streets of Paris for the spectacle. Unfortunately, it seems never to have made the (official) transition to DVD or BluRay, which is a pity since the original VHS version was very good quality in terms of both video and sound.

One JMJ album I keep coming back to is En Attendant Cousteau (Waiting For Cousteau), inspired by the oceanographer Jacques Cousteau.

JMJ's late father Maurice Jarre, by the way, is probably THE composer that few people realize that they know very well. His film scores have been heard by millions, and won him 3 Academy Awards for best original score. (Lawrence of Arabia - 1962, Dr Zhivago - 1965 and A Passage To India - 1984.) He was nominated for several others.

Back