What a great members are here!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roberto

Reaction score
Hola Chicos! Yesterday I had a very interesting afternoon-evening. I met Gordon at the house of Tim Bingaman. Also met Don and his wife. He is an audio dealer at Fort Collins.
The most interesting thing is that Tim in his new audio room is not using electrostatic speakers. He is using Kef. The overall sound is very good with a good 3D.
Tim is a very dedicated, super organized, and taking care of the little details that help to have a very steady stage.
Also the lighting and the decoration of the room puts you "tuned in" along with any type of music.
And yes, the musician(s) were there, playing for us!!

Thank you Tim and your lovely WIFE for all the sound and love you shared with us!

To Gordon: you are OK my dear friend. And you can hear many little details too. Well trained ears were there at Tim's Sanctuary.
Again, thanks and God Bless you all! Happy listening and do trust in your ears!

Last edited:
An Audiophile version of the 3 Amigo's

Roberto, it was so good to see you again and share some music and conversation. So glad that you could find the time to visit, and that fate was smiling on us as Gordon was also in town at the same time.

One small correction though. I had for about 1 year the very impressive KEF LS 50's, but the speakers I have now are the YG Acoustic Carmel's.

Gordon came down from Wyoming and brought along his friends Don Walker and his wife Lauralie (sp?), owners of Fort Collins Audio. The three of them hung out with my wife Sandy and I enjoying drinks and conversation while we waited for Roberto to arrive. Gordon and I put a bit of a dent in the Bourbon and Scotch collection to pass the time.

Once Roberto arrived we made our way down to the music room to listen to both the computer based rig as well as vinyl - steering more towards vinyl when there were some hiccup's with on the digital side that I later resolved. Roberto had seen Diana Krall a few days earlier up at Red Rocks, so "Live in Paris" was one of the first pieces we played before jumping into some more solo acoustic live cuts from Sara Barrellis (Brave Enough) and Ryan Adams (Live at Carnegie Hall). That's about the time the digital stuff shi! the proverbial bed, so thank goodness there was vinyl to fall back on. Dire Straits, Flamenco Puro, La Segundo and more followed.

It was so much fun to have so many knowledgeable and enthusiastic music lovers in the house. My thanks to you both for your kind gifts! Gordon brought me a very nice Chesky pressing of the Chicago Symphony Orchestra under Fritz Reiner playing Prokofieff's "Lieutenant Kije" and Stravinsky's "Song of the Nightingale". Roberto brought me some amazing Costa Rican coffee that was hand picked by topless virgins! (this is what I heard anyway, but the bourbon may have played a part in this interpretation). My friends, thank you mostly for the best gift of all, your company while we enjoyed this hobby we love so much.

A few shots attached. In the one of the three of us that's Gordon on the left, Roberto in the middle and me on the right.

Attachments

• DSC06368.JPG
    DSC06368.JPG
    468.6 KB · Views: 161
  • DSC06369.JPG
    DSC06369.JPG
    523.1 KB · Views: 168
  • DSC06370.JPG
    DSC06370.JPG
    468.3 KB · Views: 165
  • DSC06371.JPG
    DSC06371.JPG
    652.6 KB · Views: 167
  • DSC06375.JPG
    DSC06375.JPG
    637.1 KB · Views: 163
Big mistake by me, thinking that they were Keff. I said to myself: wow, Keff chanded their design and sound recently. Thanks for the clarification.
Again, a dedicated room with good ears to adjust the room boundaries, its well rewarded!!!and your room is the example of what is needed to do with knowledge and patience.
It was a pleasure and a teaching experience Tim.
Thanks again!

Last edited:
Understandable Roberto, Don is a KEF Dealer, and there were many conversation about KEF since I used to have the LS 50's and had seriously considered the REF One's (which is what Don has), so there were plenty of KEF remarks throughout the evening.

So good to see you again my friend and to have your experience and ears in my room. I have already implemented one of your comments by inserting a block of wood between my cables where they crossed one another and as you know this was an improvement. Thank you.

I also got your e-mails with the music that you recorded and have been enjoying listening to them this morning as I sipped my coffee.

Safe travels home my friend.

looks like a great time was had by all ! But Tim, I was hoping to see a pic of the topless virgins picking coffee beans instead of the three of you !!

No, no, no! Those pics were censored and not allowed on this decent forum. Sorry!
For our eyes only! (LOL)

Last edited:
Hi all,

Not too much to add. It was a magical evening of music and friends. Tim and Sandy were extremely gracious (as were Don and Laura Li who allowed me to stay with them for three nights) and I couldn't resist "joking around" with my dear friend Roberto.

As to the "dent" we made in the scotch and bourbon, hell we only went through one bottle of each. Merely a flesh wound.

Made it back to Jackson yesterday and also did some initial real estate shopping in the Fort Collins area. This area is under serious consideration once I retire in October 2016. Assuming I do move there, the good news is I know what "part" of Fort Collins I prefer. More visits to follow I suspect once I get closer.

And the better news is based on the listening I did at Don and Tim's house, I "think" I'm regaining some of the hearing loss.

Best,

Gordon

Hi all,

Not too much to add. It was a magical evening of music and friends. Tim and Sandy were extremely gracious (as were Don and Laura Li who allowed me to stay with them for three nights) and I couldn't resist "joking around" with my dear friend Roberto.

As to the "dent" we made in the scotch and bourbon, hell we only went through one bottle of each. Merely a flesh wound.

Made it back to Jackson yesterday and also did some initial real estate shopping in the Fort Collins area. This area is under serious consideration once I retire in October 2016. Assuming I do move there, the good news is I know what "part" of Fort Collins I prefer. More visits to follow I suspect once I get closer.

And the better news is based on the listening I did at Don and Tim's house, I "think" I'm regaining some of the hearing loss.

Best,

Gordon

Great news on the hearing front. I've never been to Fort Collins but will have to check it out when we visit Estes Park next year.

Hola Chicos. Tim has a very nice audio toys. As an example of this, his mac mini has underneath a special power supply, and its for optimal sound quality. I got my eyes popped out when I catch this...and with a trembling voice I asked about it. The unit looks beautiful. His digital gear was not at their days. Yes, we all know how the digital stuff is temperamental...and since we got there, it decided of not to show off the good quality of it, just a little samples of it!!!
Also, Time has a very good variable music collection. He likes all types of music, and I think specially classical and jazz. Everything that sounds nice and mellow, he has it! Also, and what its more important, his heart is "tuned in" with the music.

Talking about guitar players, I open my big mouth, and recommended Luis Salinas from Argentina. This guy has a special right hand thumb technic. He uses this finger as an extension of his heart. He express all the emotion with it...even at fast passages. Here is a little sample of what I am saying: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DY8Ulv-2bsw&list=RD1Ecf-MY3sXk&index=2

There are so much info to digest at Tim's place. And also their passion and love for the music...not only the musician(s).

Tanks again!

Obviously a great time! I'm curious as to what Tim has for a power supply for the Mac Mini. I thought he had an Atomic Platform. I know that at least two companies make external power supplies for the Mac.

I'm also curious as to what the digital problems were. My Mac works great most of the time, but I have to sometimes fiddle with some of the parameters.

I think, it was needed to reboot all his digital gear...it was a communication problem between the dac and the mac mini...also we could not listen youtube...this happens once and then.

Obviously a great time! I'm curious as to what Tim has for a power supply for the Mac Mini. I thought he had an Atomic Platform. I know that at least two companies make external power supplies for the Mac.

I'm also curious as to what the digital problems were. My Mac works great most of the time, but I have to sometimes fiddle with some of the parameters.

There may be some confusion about the power supply. I am indeed considering the power supply upgrade for my Mac Mini to the Mojo Audio Joule III, but haven't implemented it yet. I had discussed this on at least 1 forum, but maybe not here. When Roberto was asking me about the Power Supply upgrade I thought he was referencing this. As Bernard has stated above, I currently use the Atomic Platform, and do like it, but no power supply upgrade (yet).

The loss of the digital system was pretty easy to see the next morning, the USB cable had come unplugged. All is back to normal working order now.

Tim, what kind of difference does the Atomic Platform make?

Per the advertising, the platform is designed based upon the weight distribution of the Mac, so it will be interesting to see what happens after you do the power supply upgrade, as that should change the weight distribution.

BTW, in one of his monthly newsletters Paul McGowan (PS Audio) stated that someone tweaked the software in their Mini, making it sound much better. He's in your area (Boulder, I think), so you should check it out.

looks like a great time was had by all ! But Tim, I was hoping to see a pic of the topless virgins picking coffee beans instead of the three of you !!

Call me a freak but, the pics of the 'hootch' were enough for me!! Party on bro's, great story of a fine meeting!! Thanks for that!

Back