Should ML offer help in Trade In when trading up?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ctbarker32

Reaction score
Hi,

I have been a Martin Logan customer for some 20 years. First with Aerius i and Cinema and currently with Vantage and Motif for center.

Lately I have been feeling the urge to possibly upgrade either with the Montis or going off brand with the Golden Ear Triton One.

One issue that I have with upgrades is the lack of easy trade ins. I am running out of room just to store my LP, CD etc collection not too mention all the electronics, guitars, computers, etc. Yes I have some clutter!

Anyway, in years passed I've had some success in trade ins when I had a very local Martin Logan dealer which is long gone (Soundworks, Kensington, MD). But it was hit or miss and often just by chance. The current local ML dealer is miles away in Virginia and I'm not sure how enthusiastic they are about trade ins. ML speakers are just not an easy typical third party sale commodity since it's pretty specialized. Plus, I'm not that interested in posting a Craigs list ad and opening my door to absolute strangers. Even though I have the original packaging, I am reluctant to go the Ebay route because of difficulty of shipping and the usual Ebay risk factors.

So I ask, should high end brands like ML offer trade-in services to encourage new upgrades sales? From time to time I have seen other manufacturers do this. PS Audio does this pretty regularly for example. I know this can be a hassle for the manufacturer but the upside is who else has a network of dealers to potentially sell the gently used products? Maybe they can be factory refreshed to give the second hand buyer more incentive?

I don't know what the resale value of my Vantage's are? I would probably consider an upgrade with a $1000 trade in? Maybe less, if someone else would take them away and deliver my new speakers.

I think that most of us here are perhaps serial upgraders? How do you handle the pile up of equipment?

-CB

Audiogon.

I have actually seen very few folks on this site who are serial upgraders, which I believe is a good thing.

Less neurosis, more money to buy music or other things, more time spent enjoying music and not analyzing the sound.

You're less than two hrs from Overture Audio (Wilmington, De) , a top flight M/L dealer that takes trades and best yet ………Delaware ….NO tax !!

I've had good luck on audiogon (bought my Ethos there), but shipping big MLs can be kind of pricey. I've done a lot of Hi Fi deals on ebay as well with no negatives, including some rather expensive McIntosh vintage tube amps.

Back