Possible Ethos Owner

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghn5ue

Reaction score
Hi all,
as stated in the title I am a possible future Ethos owner. My research on these speakers led me to this forum.

I was seriously considering Magnepans, but after a recent audition I left wanting a bit more. Although the Maggies have a lot of magic, the lack of bottom end and dynamics was ultimately more important to me than I thought. They just seemed rounded off and lacking in excitement.

In comparison the Logan's have that 'snap' I recall from listening to Acoustats many years ago. It's a different sort of dynamics, I suppose. It's the quickness of the transit, combined with the rapid decay that replaces the dynamic thrust of conventional speakers. This phenomenon is what caught my attention many years back, and made quite the lasting impression on me. With the decent subwoofer that can keep up to the panel, the Ethos seems to have it all.

On the downside, they do seem brutally honest. I found them harsh when listening to cd, but much more tonally pleasing when we switched to vinyl (my main source). They are considerably more money than the Maggies too. Next step is to try them with my equipment (Rogue pre and power amp, tricked out Rega P5 with a Benz Glider) and see how it all comes together.

Thanks for allowing me to join this forum. I look forward to searching through all the posts and gathering knowledge from your experiences.

Ken

Hola Ken, and welcome. Your ears are telling you the truth. The Ethos are outstanding speakers, and a great value of what you got, for what you did pay. Did you know that the ML diaphragm weights less than the air that it moves? And you are right when you say they are honest. On the digital gear, you are listening the digital crap. You have to do some working in this area to clean that harsh, and it is possible. All of us have the same problem. The new generation of DACS, using tubes, are more forgiving in this respect.
Again, welcome and happy listening!

Back