The DON

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gordon Gray

Reaction score
As most of you know, I tend to be a bit left of center on the political dial but I am hearing some things from Jeb and others that seem to indicate a "softening" of the traditional Rep rhetoric. I see that as a good / positive shift.

Having said that, I have to ask why DT is polling near the top and what this may say about the electorate and the Rep party in general.

He seems to have pi**ed of all Latinos and now all POW's. Who's next? And I do have empathy for some Rep party candidates, and their supporters, who are trying to have a meaningful, positive discussion of our country's problems moving forward.

How should the Rep party deal with this wealthy psychotic renegade?

GG

I'm saddened at what is happened to the GOP. Trump, Jindal, Bush, Walker. Wow. It's like the clown car just stopped and let everyone off. I normally vote with who I feel will lead the country best, regardless of which party they belong to. My primary focus always is human rights and there should be no religion in politics. As soon as someone shows their bigotry or devotion to a religion to a degree that it interferes with people's rights (ie abortion, gay marriage, etc) that sours me. The GOP was founded on less government control but after the housing crash and subsequent downturn and government bailouts, I think that there are many people who don't have the common sense to know that since they make only $75k a year they can't afford a house worth $800k, even if the lender says so... hence, people like this need the government to help them from making bad decisions.

Right now I have no idea who will get my vote. Bernie Sanders seems to be a good man, but I don't know much about him and I need to do more research. Christie is my fave of the republicans, and I say that with lots of hesitation and because so far he hasn't really ****ed up too terribly and I need to do more reading about his views.

Trump is delusional and living in the Matrix. A dream world where money isolates him from reality.

Sadly, there are so many people who seem to love him and think a non-politician is the answer. He's no Ross Perot, that is for sure.

Last edited:
Agreed about the GOP.

Ideally we would have strong candidates for president from all parties so that we had a Win:Win and voted based on what they each stood for.

The US has had some bad presidents over the years and somehow the country survives.

I think Trump will help make the other candidates look better, but the GOP candidates so far seem like slim pickings.

I agree that Bernie seems like a good guy. He speaks his mind like Trump only he sounds more sane. He is doing a good job energizing the democratic party, but I suspect he may end up running for Vice President with Hillary.

Ross Perot seemed to have a plan and it would have been interesting to see how he would have done.

Sadly both parties are effectively bought and paid for except for someone like Trump. He would be a wild card, but I think the checks and balances would even keep him in check. I don't expect either party can change the current trends significantly. Large corporations are driving most legislation these days. How else could congress pass a bill to hide the country of origin on the meat we buy? I guarantee that the vast majority of US citizens would like to know as much information about what they are buying as possible.

why is he 'polling near the top' ……… IMO, it's purely a reaction to what a lot of folks are sick and tired of……..political rhetoric, regardless of what side of the aisle you walk. Will he get elected, of course not. Can he disrupt enough of the GOP, run as an independent and make it an easy win for Hilary ……….God help us ……...

why is he 'polling near the top' ……… IMO, it's purely a reaction to what a lot of folks are sick and tired of……..political rhetoric, regardless of what side of the aisle you walk. Will he get elected, of course not. Can he disrupt enough of the GOP, run as an independent and make it an easy win for Hilary ……….God help us ……...

Ha ha, that's the hope! Hillary or Bernie.

The GOP has totally abandoned traditional Republicans. Any politician that expresses traditional Republican views, gets voted out in the primary election.

Trump is just the first squeaky wheel on the republican clown car, he won't win. He's a new sound bite which the media loves and many Americans take that 12 second clip at face value further exacerbating the problem. Unfortunately, many Americans like things nice and simple so they believe almost anything they hear. And the more outrageous, the more attention it gets from the sheep.

The sad thing is the right has moved so far to the right they are off the dial so anyone remotely close to a moderate Repub = Democrat to them. Here's an example - Obamacare quite closely mirrors Romney's plan for Mass. and was more "conservative" than Nixon's plan yet look at the stink the right threw before, during and after implementation. Imagine, Nixon more liberal than Obama....

The republican clown car? Are the democrats running anyone better? Honestly, I don't know what Hillary thinks about anything, because she hasn't given any interviews, and ropes herself off from potential reporters questions. She had a sit down meet and greet with some 'folks', that ended up being just a vetted group of supporters. But what qualifies her to be president? Polls show that people don't, and obviously they shouldn't, trust her. There isn't a thing she did as Secretary of State she can point to as a good accomplishment. When I hear people talk about her, they discuss the fact that they would like to see a woman as president, so I guess having a vagina is her best qualification.

If Sanders were a republican, he would already have been kicked out after the release of his 'rape fantasy' writing. The liberal media tried to make a big deal of Mitt Romney's cutting of someone's hair in High School, but have largely ignored Sanders twisted writing. It begins, "“A man goes home and masturbates his typical fantasy. A woman on her knees. A woman tied up. A woman abused’’, and gets worse. This was written when he was 30 years old. Can you imagine if the media found this writing to be from Scott Walker? The woman of NOW would be calling for his head.

Clown car indeed.

Kevin,

I get your point. They are all clowns to a certain extent.

I request that we keep this on topic. I would really appreciate a "civil" conversation.

If you want to start another thread, please do.

Best,

Gordon

Sorry Gordon for showing that the democrats have their own flawed candidates, I didn't realize this was a bash the republican candidates only thread.

My feelings are that the whole political process corrupts candidates and that the type of person who is typically drawn to politics is not the type person you really want to run things. That is completely bi-partisan.

Sorry Gordon for showing that the democrats have their own flawed candidates, I didn't realize this was a bash the republican candidates only thread.

Kevin,

I totally agree. They are all flawed. As you and I know, the days of an honest, forthright person surviving the political process (the toilet) and winning an election are history.

Bash the Rep party was / is not my intent. That's why the thread is titled as it is. I personally am trying to understand the DON phenomena given the apparent "I don't care who I **** off" mantra. No more / no less and how this all fits into the Rep parties efforts to try to win back the Whitehouse.

Perhaps it is all theater. At this time, I think it is but given the world today, I'm not sure anymore.

I do give the guy credit for having brass balls.

Hope that clarifies.

Gordon

Gordon,

I know you started the thread asking a question only about Trump. But I felt that it had strayed off topic, as most discussions on politics tend to, well before I wrote my first post. It had morphed from being about Trump to the entire GOP field, and I wasn't the first to use the term clown car, so I don't think my post was all that 'uncivil'.

I'll give you my opinion about Trump alone, and why he might be doing well in the polls, but your guess is as good as mine. Many candidates find themselves doing well in polls early in the process, before voters become more educated to their positions and start to take into account such things as how an individual may do in the general election. It occurs with both republicans and democrats. I believe that in 2004, Howard Dean was way out on top of the polls for a period of time before sinking faster than the Titanic, all because of a "Yeehaw....". It happens.

My own opinion of Trump is that I don't like him as a political candidate for the Republicans, because he is not a conservative. He was once a registered democrat. He's been for abortion, drug legalization, high taxes, and other liberal causes. He has donated more money to democrats than to republicans, including Harry Reid and Chuck Schumer. No republican would have done that. Anyone can change positions over time, but he can change within months depending upon which way the wind blows. He isn't disciplined, and has a very immature quality to him. To me, he is not a serious candidate for the US presidency, and he himself perhaps even knows that.

As to why he would be doing well in the polls, certainly name recognition and his celebrity help a good bit. And I think the republicans are looking for someone to take on the old republican establishment. I don't agree with 'how' he says it, but he does strike a chord when it comes to illegal immigration with a lot of republicans. I am not hardcore to the right as you might know, but I myself don't understand how our country can absorb hundreds of thousands of people sneaking across the border every year. Because many are low educated and unskilled, it's a huge burden on a welfare system that is already being over whelmed, in my opinion. We are a nation of immigrants, but we have always done so in a legal manner that checked everyone as they entered. When he says that bad people are coming across the border, and days later the news is about a young girl being shot by an illegal, right or wrong, it instantly gave him added credibility to his statements. It isn't racists to say that people had ought to enter legally, and that we should do as much as possible to close off the border before worrying about the ones who have already entered illegally. So I think his, shoot from the hip style, and not worrying about whether or not it hurts him with votes helped his poll numbers. I like that too. I would much rather know how someone actually feels and stands, than to think I'm being fed less than truthful information by someone so they don't lose votes. Think of Obama and gay marriage, where he was for it, then against it, and then for it once again.

As far as his McCain statement goes, I think that was overblown. He speaks off the cuff, and when you do that, things won't always come out as you would have wanted. It sounded to me like a case of bad humor that didn't work out. It happens. But he corrected himself almost immediately and said a few times that McCain was a war hero...... if only because he was caught. Or perhaps it didn't seem so bad to me, because I am not a fan of McCain either. :)

Thanks Kevin for your insight.

I do like his ability to be "candid" but I think anyone running for Presidency, regardless of the reason, needs to refrain from making '"gross generalizations" that, more often than not, turn out to be false positives and indefensible from a fact based perspective.

Best,

Gordon

Specifically, what "gross generalizations" has he made that are indefensible in your opinion?

Specifically, what "gross generalizations" has he made that are indefensible in your opinion?

He has made many and the GOP has even gotten upset with him and said they wouldn't want him representing them.

That is beside the point though. If you follow the link I provided it shows what may be his real objectives with how is his behaving and portraying himself.

He is effectively creating talking points and pulling the other candidates into them.

BTW I think John Kasich could be a solid candidate for the GOP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back