Big wire + small wire ??

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CLIFF

Reaction score
Hi all ,just had a thought,and it may be a stupid one!
If you used a thinner negative speaker wire? What would be the outcome to the sound reproduction???
Being the return wire,would it impact the sound? Or not ??
There is no reason to do this, just intregued.

It's a series circuit, so all the signal current current travels through the Positive wire, the loudspeaker and then the Negative wire (or vice versa). So the effect is similar to just making a normal speaker cable somewhat longer.

Hola Cliff. There are a lot of speaker wire combinations. I assure to you that this had being done before. And if the results were astonishing, then every speaker wire factory will be doing it. I am not saying that its wrong. Its easy to do, and why don't you try it and tell us your findings. I do know that you had being experimenting with cables...but here is a fair explanation regarding cables: http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/spkcbl_e.html
Its not the best approach, but at least it looks that he did a good homework at it!
Happy listening!

Remember that some M/L speakers are not like most typical speakers. They have a very different impedance curve, which makes them more sensitive to the cables end-to-end resistance and self inductance.

Thanks for all the info,so if i have got it right ,:as long as the wire isnt too thin as compared to the positive ,sound should in theory, be about the same as two cables of the same size.
While on the subject of cables, if you havnt done so, look into graphene, it is a far better conductor than copper,by a large factor.
I am going to play with it over the next few weeks, its a long shot ,but i think i have it figured out how to go about it. There is a fair bit of stuffing around to make it.
Its properties,are amazing.ten times stronger than steel, conductivity is off the dial.please look it up.graphene will change a lot of things in this world ,when boffins figure out how to make it in bulk amounts.

Remember that some M/L speakers are not like most typical speakers. They have a very different impedance curve, which makes them more sensitive to the cables end-to-end resistance and self inductance.

When you say "sensitive" I think you mean ESL panels and smaller is better for the cable inductance and resistance right? If that's the case then some simple braided cables like Kimber 8PR or 8TC should be ideal? They are very low inductance and resistance.

[Capacitance on the other hand is sacrificed but any decent power amp shouldn't have a problem with that.]

Last edited:
For low resistance cables, bigger cross-section is better (that's lower AWG numbers)
For low inductance cables, the closer the conductors are to each other the better. thin insulation is better than thick. Twisting is better than most braiding.

Yes, capacitance is only a problem with some legacy and boutique amplifiers.

On the other hand some of the larger Kimber cables would be a reasonable (if expensive) choice. You won't hear the difference in inductance.

Back