Mad Scientist Audio Black Discus and Martin-Logan Clarity

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

risabet

Reaction score
Let's begin with how I entered into this little experiment. Mad Scientist Audio (MSA) offers a birthday month discount. Having already used and liked their products I ordered four more of the mini Black Discus, intending to use them on the tubes in my phono pre-amp and the amp input tubes. On a lark, and with the house to myself, I attached one of each Discus to the top, back of the Clarity see photo,and, not expecting to hear much of any effect, sat back to have a listen.

20150616_143243_zpskkbyyax4.jpg

I listened to a number of albums I was quite familiar with and damn if these don't make what is to my ears a substantial improvement in the sound of the speakers in my system. What I heard was:

1. The speakers disappeared on the soundstage leaving the impression of a less mechanical, more organic sound then previously,
2. Vocals (both male and female, massed and solo) are more detailed with better focus, ambiance, and decay,
3. Fricatives are cleaners and sharper with better integration with the voices,
4. Imaging is better, on Jennifer Warnes' The Hunter (Cisco CLP 7063 reissue) has her centered and the holographic reproduction was the best I've heard in my system and not by a little,
5. On Moondance by Van Morrison (Warner Bros R1 1835 reissue) Caravan has a new level of life. The guitar in the left channel snaps into focus with life and energy that is much improved over the previous reproduction. On Into The Mystic I heard detail, detail, and more detail, but not detail separated from the musical experience, but detail that enhanced the music, the emotion, the poignancy of the song.

I could go on, Longer Boats from Cat Stevens Tea for the Tillerman simply reaffirmed all the improvements listed above.

The effect builds over time. Initial listening led to a clear audibility of the effect but it increased over about the next two hours.

I have no idea why this works like it does, but it certainly does and in the world of audio this is almost a free upgrade, if indeed it is an upgrade for your system.

OK I read this thread and got interested in the discs. I just got my free samples today but haven't had time do a thorough testing. These are my findings based on 15 mins of listening.

songs: rodrigo y gabriela - "New One" and "30 De Marzo"

1) Amazingly enough it actually does something although it's very subtle.
2) Placing it on top of my EM-ESL like risebet and putting it on the speaker terminal (as suggested by MSA) had very similar sound. Place them where the panel meets the base (where the leads to the panels are at) did sound different. It sounded somewhere between having on the terminals/top and not having them on at all.
3) I had about 15mins of A/B testing and I asked my wife to confirm what I heard. The volume was less, I would say maybe 1 or 1/2 decibel. Music seems less forward more blended together. My wife said the music is more clear but I couldn't tell.

Overall my wife and I both can hear a distinct difference with the MSA discs but whether it is better or worse I still haven't decided yet. I'll post more findings when my baby lets me :D

-Trey

Oh dear, another magic dots thread. This won't end well.

The effect builds over time.

If that's not unequovically confirming (without doubt or ambiguity) that the effect is in your mind, I don't know what is.

Or are these inanimate things super-magic; and have the power to change the sound as time goes on?

Last edited:
Many threads on this site (this one, Marigo dots, USB cables, Shun Mooks, for example) make me think of Ivor Tiefenbrunn's statement, "If you haven't heard it you don't have an opinion".

I read the threads but choose to not participate, to avoid triggering flames; it's only a hobby. I was astounded a few years ago when an uncouth boor referred to me as a "Fan boy whore"; fortunately a mod sent the comment to the cyber graveyard.

"If you haven't heard it you don't have an opinion".

What if I don't want to have an opinion?

Have you ever heard your system after wrapping yourself in two layers of glad-wrap and sticking your head upside-down in a lavatory bowl?

Don't laugh or ridicule - if you haven't heard your system like that then "you don't have an opinion".

(I hope everyone sees the lighthearted but poignant joke here).

Last edited:
If that's not unequovically confirming (without doubt or ambiguity) that the effect is in your mind, I don't know what is.

Or are these inanimate things super-magic; and have the power to change the sound as time goes on?

But they were on sale !!!

I can tell you from experience the absolutely causal effect that the word "sale" has had on my wallet over the years.

The other day I experimented a bit to see if I could hear a difference in the noise floor between using balanced XLR cables and RCA cables on my Amplifier and when I went back to balanced XLR I was very upset. The music sounded all wrong and the stereo imaging was way off and I listened to some music I was very familiar with and entire sections appeared missing. It turned out that I had accidentally flipped the switch to "bridged" when flipping the other switches back to balanced. When I flipped it back to unbridged everything sounded so much better and I was so relieved that I felt it was sounding better than it had ever sounded before.

So I googled around to find the impact of adrenaline on hearing and found numerous studies on using it for treatment of hearing issues and how speech discrimination was improved for most patients and how patients' hearing sensitivity improved.

So if you want everything to sound great. Do something that makes your stereo sound really wrong for just a little while so that you panic which gets your adrenaline pumping and brings you to a heightened state of awareness. Or just do something very exciting that gets your adrenaline flowing. Then appreciate the majesty that was always there only a bit more so now that your senses are peaked!

So I googled around to find the impact of adrenaline on hearing and found numerous studies on using it for treatment of hearing issues and how speech discrimination was improved for most patients and how patients' hearing sensitivity improved.

Yes that is why I asked my wife. Trust me she was NOT excited about me getting another audio toy (I had to buy her a new Prada handbag to get the EM-ESL's). She WAS happy it was free though :D. Like I said she was able to hear a difference so it does do something. You can always request a free sample yourself, they ship pretty quickly.

-Trey

Yes that is why I asked my wife. Trust me she was NOT excited about me getting another audio toy (I had to buy her a new Prada handbag to get the EM-ESL's). She WAS happy it was free though :D. Like I said she was able to hear a difference so it does do something. You can always request a free sample yourself, they ship pretty quickly.

-Trey

LOL! I understand the importance of keeping your wife happy! Last year I had our master closet expanded out to take over the adjoining bedroom. They put in 8 shelves for purses, put in extensive shoe storage, etc.. It was nearly full from the beginning, but I ended up getting her another few purses. There was room left on one of the shelves :)

I think it is very important to make sure your wife isn't wanting for anything, then toy purchases are never an issue.

I've seen this exact discussion on the RC Helicopter forums and the Prada handbag seems to come up frequently. One guy went so far as to say he suggested it to his wife in anticipation of a purchase and told her how great it would look on her and then said she didn't blink when he ordered his next toy.

Last edited:
What if I don't want to have an opinion?

Have you ever heard your system after wrapping yourself in two layers of glad-wrap and sticking your head upside-down in a lavatory bowl?

Don't laugh or ridicule - if you haven't heard your system like that then "you don't have an opinion".

(I hope everyone sees the lighthearted but poignant joke here).
Adam, I would neither laugh at nor ridicule anyone who wanted to listen to his system while upside down with his head in a toilet bowl (with or without the Glad wrap), so please go ahead with that. I promise I will not dismiss your findings as nonsense, from a theoretical perspective. So yes, I would not have an opinion. Upside-down down-under seems appropriate. :)

Adam, I would neither laugh at nor ridicule anyone who wanted to listen to his system while upside down with his head in a toilet bowl (with or without the Glad wrap), so please go ahead with that. I promise I will not dismiss your findings as nonsense, from a theoretical perspective. So yes, I would not have an opinion. Upside-down down-under seems appropriate. :)

How's this?

Mork-And-Mindy-4.jpg

Does your system sound better that way? Fear not, I will not challenge your opinion. :)

:music:

Right now I think the last thing I want to do is challenge anyone. My FB stream is lite up like a Christmas tree. I just hope that we in the US don't see any bloodshed. Our country has been at a simmer to boil for a number of years and I'm just hoping that sanity prevails and people keep cool heads.

:music:

Right now I think the last thing I want to do is challenge anyone. My FB stream is lite up like a Christmas tree. I just hope that we in the US don't see any bloodshed. Our country has been at a simmer to boil for a number of years and I'm just hoping that sanity prevails and people keep cool heads.
Yes, I hope you guys have an uneventful July 4th (and that we in Canada have an uneventful July 1st).

Yes, I hope you guys have an uneventful July 4th (and that we in Canada have an uneventful July 1st).

I'll be flying into Calgary then off to Banff, Jasper, Lake Louis, some glaciers and finally the Tyrell Museum soon. It will be nice to be in a sane country for a little while :)

May I enquire, then, as to where your ears are ? :)

For some of the people on this forum, ears are either in that chair (as per pic posted before), or in the sand, with respect to all things audio

Attachments

• Head-in-sand.jpg
    Head-in-sand.jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 129
For some of the people on this forum, ears are either in that chair (as per pic posted before), or in the sand, with respect to all things audio

Well, as Bernard said - if you haven't tried this listening position, you can't have an opinion. Try it first. Send us a pic and tell us what you think :)

I can hear amazing detail with this helping to make sure all the precious sound doesn't escape my ears.

However I find it very hard to sit on my head at the same time. Please help me decide which method is best.

waalsdorpsoundlocator.jpg

Last edited:
Back