I'm wanting to try a sub with my clsiiz,help please

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fattner

Reaction score
Hi my Martin Logan's brothers and sisters ,I have post here before with great help from the members .I have a 20x30 audio room dedicated and all my gear are plugged into hospital grade outlets and 2x 20 amp circuit !! my gear is clsiiz matched with , Mac 501 mono blocks with a Mac c2300 tube pre amp and a Mac univerisal player mvp871 and a maranatz TT15 with MM virtuoso clear audio cart ,I wondering how a Martin Logan sub would sound .,,,Im not one to mess with stuff ,simple the better !!! Help please image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

From my expierience I would strongly advise adding subs to your CLSIIz's. Though the specs for the CLS's claims 35 htz on the low end from what I have experienced and read I would guess it starts dropping closer to 65 htz.
What you will find with subs added is the mid and upper mid range will be much clearer. I have used 2 Depth i's with my CLSIIz's for a few years and have recently added 2 more with one at the mid point of each wall. This made as much difference as adding the subs in the first place.

Here is a link to a disscussion of multipule subs and different approaches. It is alot of reading but interesting.

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?1005-Multiple-Subwoofer-Placement

Thankyou for the response , I'm only wanting to add one period ,the easiest more effect way to improve my system without spending too much !! I'm into simplistic approach ,again Thankyou , ps what do you think of my system as is ??

Hi fattner, I'm a former CLS IIz owner myself, and I always used a REL Stadium II to great effect with the CLS's (works great with current speakers as well). I agree with Brad, the CLS does indeed benefit from a well integrated sub in many regards, you just need to place it well and do a good job of selecting the crossover point and level for your room. I can't speak to ML subs, but with my REL the key was to set the gain low enough that you would ask yourself if it was even on. Pretty easy to tell it's effect if you did turn it off though, not just in bass extension, but in the size of the soundstage as well. You're barking up the right tree. You won't regret buying a good one.

ps. Great looking system. Get it listed in the Members System's section.

Last edited:
salesman hat on but a BF210, 212 both offer downloadable filter slopes idealized for most, including CLS, to make blending all the better. Add room correction that is on the subs make the potential perfect blend pretty easy. Recent rave reviews in multiple mags point at them as great products for any speaker but especially for ML owners. You have a pretty big room and big power so i suggest a 212, but a 210 goes pretty loud so may do it based on your spl needs.

salesman hat on but a BF210, 212 both offer downloadable filter slopes idealized for most, including CLS, to make blending all the better. Add room correction that is on the subs make the potential perfect blend pretty easy. Recent rave reviews in multiple mags point at them as great products for any speaker but especially for ML owners. You have a pretty big room and big power so i suggest a 212, but a 210 goes pretty loud so may do it based on your spl needs.
ok would like just one unit so 210/212 be better than lets say others if my price point is under 3000.00 ( cables /cord etc)

Ditto to what Peter said. A BF212, load the CLS filter and then run the PBK room correction to fine tune it to your room.

My suggestion for best location (to start) might be mid point between the speakers, behind your rack.

As Brad pointed out, more is better, not so much in terms of volume, but in terms of great in-room response. I did a test with four cheap ML subs and the results were surprisingly good.

But as a minimum, one good sub like the BF212 will transform your experience for the better.

Ok thx , so beside the download roll off from Martin Logan they offer for 100 .00 a program that dials in the sub according to where you want to place it and your room , is that what your also talking about . Again thx for the help !

^^^ Yes, the Perfect Bass Kit (PBK) is the software that you run to tune the sub based on its current placement in your room. It is a critical step to get the most of the new sub.

Like all semi-automated room correction systems, how you perform the measurement process will have a lot to do with the quality of the results. Follow the instructions carefully.
One tip I'd provide is to ensure the mic is on a tripod or mic stand, as isolated from any surfaces that might vibrate as possible. So never put the tripod or mic on top of seating surfaces like the couch or listening chair. If you want the mic at the main listening position, then use a mic boom to swing the mic over the seat; or if you don't have one of those, then move the chair out of the way for the measurement process.

I can't afford the 212 for I can afford one of the 210, will that bring the magic I'm looking for ? Thx to all who responded

a 210 has been impressive in several shows i have done in a variety of rooms and if you can't afford a 212, the obvious next step. Both of them have roughly a 6 db improvement in output levels versus the older depth, descent series. Worst case is one day, you get another 210 but i am betting you will be in pretty good shape.
As to PBK, download the newest software on the ML site versus the CD inside as we have done some upgrades to that setup software over some time. The PBK also comes with a real mic stand that will get it near head height once you move the chair.

a 210 has been impressive in several shows i have done in a variety of rooms and if you can't afford a 212, the obvious next step. Both of them have roughly a 6 db improvement in output levels versus the older depth, descent series. Worst case is one day, you get another 210 but i am betting you will be in pretty good shape.
As to PBK, download the newest software on the ML site versus the CD inside as we have done some upgrades to that setup software over some time. The PBK also comes with a real mic stand that will get it near head height once you move the chair.
thankyou peter , which clsiiz dwoad do you suggest if my switch on the clsiiz transform is set to normal setting( NO SOFT SETTING ) thx and see you soon!!

beauty of the system is that it is very easy to experiment. With your careful set up that you have now, i will bet you will use the natural and not he 80 hz reinforcement but your ears will guide you. the system takes seconds to download and there is a top mounted switch under the glass cover that allows you to switch it in and out for comparisons.

beauty of the system is that it is very easy to experiment. With your careful set up that you have now, i will bet you will use the natural and not he 80 hz reinforcement but your ears will guide you. the system takes seconds to download and there is a top mounted switch under the glass cover that allows you to switch it in and out for comparisons.
ok peter but my ? to to is there are several different clzii downlodes for thesub, my speakers is set on the back for normal ( not soft ) what dwnload do u recommend for the sub , thx and again your the best , did u get my private message couple days ago ? takecare

sorry, i am on vacation now working on my house so have not looked too closely at privates as that is a very rarely used function for me.
Now you get to hate me more. the reason Joe V put many up there is since the CLS is more interactive with rooms versus others, more filter slope/EQs curves are needed. I can't have enough individual CLS experience with enough rooms, electronics, etc, to be absolute in my recommendation so don't mean to sound like i am copping out, but this last detail will be up to you. It is so easy to try the different curves, even exhausting all of them should take not too much time. as to the 20 amp outlet question, it ins't necessary as the amps are very high efficiency units. Not a bad idea, but not needed.

ok thx peter , i saw ur prt message ( just show my qute nothing else , takecare my friend have nice vac

Back