absorbtion or diffusion

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaffrie

Reaction score
Hi Guys

Need advice. Set up my Odyssey in a new listening space. The first place that I want to tackle first is the wall behind the listening chair. Its 7 ft away. Question, is it better to absorb or diffuse in this location. I am aware that I would need absorbtion at the top quarter of this wall where it joins the ceilings as I hear alot of bass fluff when I stand in this location via ladder. Thanks to all in advance.

more info please………..room dimensions, speaker placement, floor coverings for a start

more info please………..room dimensions, speaker placement, floor coverings for a start
Oops sorry.
Room is 6.5m wide X 7m lenght with 2 doors flanking left & right speakers which I keep it open when playing music. Wall behind speaker as well as behind sitting position is build up of 20mm plywood with 45kg m3 sound insulation installed within the build up wall. Speakers are positioned 1.7m out from the wall. After playing with speaker positioning for a couple of weeks, I've got it lock in so it's
time to apply some room acoustic treatment. Room is a little life now but have already located some echo spots which I can tame down. This listening space is actually my bedroom so do not wish to over apply the treatment & loose the asthetics. As for the bass fluff that I mentioned, I will be cutting
a long opening at the back wall top quarter to allow the insulation from within the wall to absorb the fluff.

Many thanks

Oops sorry.
Room is 6.5m wide X 7m lenght with 2 doors flanking left & right speakers which I keep it open when playing music. Wall behind speaker as well as behind sitting position is build up of 20mm plywood with 45kg m3 sound insulation installed within the build up wall. Speakers are positioned 1.7m out from the wall. After playing with speaker positioning for a couple of weeks, I've got it lock in so it's
time to apply some room acoustic treatment. Room is a little life now but have already located some echo spots which I can tame down. This listening space is actually my bedroom so do not wish to over apply the treatment & loose the asthetics. As for the bass fluff that I mentioned, I will be cutting
a long opening at the back wall top quarter to allow the insulation from within the wall to absorb the fluff.

Many thanks

enclose pics for clearer understanding 20150607_210215.jpg

Oh there's gonna be a rug in front of the speakers where the sitting position. Just have not found 1 that I like.

Well first off you need to get the speakers down off the ceiling (kidding, pictures view upside down).

Seriously though, do you lay in bed when you are listening or do you bring in a chair when you listen? If the former, your listening position is very close to the rear wall and that will present some issues in itself. If youy're laying down just the physiology will also be limiting (much of what you will actually be listening to is going to reflections off of the ceiling). Glad to hear you're going to add a rug, there are a LOT of reflective surfaces in that room.

Well first off you need to get the speakers down off the ceiling (kidding, pictures view upside down).

Seriously though, do you lay in bed when you are listening or do you bring in a chair when you listen? If the former, your listening position is very close to the rear wall and that will present some issues in itself. If youy're laying down just the physiology will also be limiting (much of what you will actually be listening to is going to reflections off of the ceiling). Glad to hear you're going to add a rug, there are a LOT of reflective surfaces in that room.

Hi Tim
Thank you. Don't know why pics ended upside down. Yes the room does look very reflective but in reality it isn't. Guess it's got to do with the soft walls at the front & the back of speakers & listening position. For casual.listening yes I lay in bed but for serious there's a chair positiin just near the edge of the bed.

Back