HDTracks or any download site sonics

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timm

Reaction score
Hi all...

It would be of value to me ... and maybe others.... if we might discuss the particular sonics of downloads?

I have downloaded 3 pieces from HDTracks... and as you know - they 'ain't cheap'.... So... if anyone feels it worthwhile to discuss ... chime in.....

The albums I have downloaded so far are:

Wild, Innocent and The E Street Shuffle - 96/24 Springsteen

Simon and Garfunkel Greatest Hits - 192/24

HDTracks Sampler:
I find the sonics on this to be quite good. And - I like the music as well.... Pretty much a Jazz/classical combo w some unknown (by me) pop music as well. But, for free - this is a no brainer and some of the sax recordings are incredible....

I honestly have to listen to them more as they are recent.... but will report back on the Springsteen and S&G. I will say that just on first glance - they seem to sound pretty nice.... However, have to listen a bit more to see if it is placebo effect or not!!!

Thanks Tim.

I liked the Sampler tracks as well.

I downloaded a couple albums from HDTracks. Micheal Jackson's Thriller was very good but it is a known good recording and I never compared it to a 44K 16bit version.

Lately I've just been combing the audio forums for high quality recordings and ordering disks in mass and then ripping them and putting the disks in storage. I've been ripping almost everything at 320Kbps which is basically the point at which it becomes very difficult to tell the difference between that bitrate and the original. However when I hear something that is just utterly amazing I make sure to rip it lossless.

I've had excellent luck with the Mapleshade CD's I purchased a while back. They use extremely minimal recording gear. Kendra Shank's Almost Blue sounds like she is singing right in front of you.

However I'm having very good luck purchasing disks that are mastered well and making sure I get the right year mastered by the right person. As long as they didn't over compress them, the CD's seem to be adequate.

There a much bigger difference between an excellent recording that is mastered well and 44.1K 16bit vs 192kHz 24bits. Now if the material is really well engineered then there is the question if you can discern any additional information out of them. So far I haven't.

I wish I could comment. I have tried to download from HDTracks and other popular download sites and all I get is rejection.

Here is the result when I have attempted to download a very popular / common recording at HDTracks and Amazon.

HDTracks, and the result was:

HDtracks music buy.png

Amazon: and the result was:

amazon music buy.jpg

And they wonder why people pirate?

No matter how hard I try, they won't take my money!! Oh well, their loss I guess.

Worse, they're working so hard to condition people that pirating is the way to obtain music, that even if at some point in the future they do allow us the pleasure of giving them our money, nobody's going to be interested.

Usenet works. HDTracks does not work. There's nothing more to it. Suck it up I guess. Moving right along.......

Last edited:
I wish I could comment. I have tried to download from HDTracks and other popular download sites and all I get is rejection.

Here is the result when I have attempted to download a very popular / common recording at HDTracks and Amazon.

HDTracks, and the result was:

View attachment 18032

Amazon: and the result was:

View attachment 18033

And they wonder why people pirate?

No matter how hard I try, they won't take my money!! Oh well, their loss I guess.

Worse, they're working so hard to condition people that pirating is the way to obtain music, that even if at some point in the future they do allow us the pleasure of giving them our money, nobody's going to be interested.

Usenet works. HDTracks does not work. There's nothing more to it. Suck it up I guess. Moving right along.......

What is Usenet amey? But... yes.... I find it interesting... as I think there are plenty of people here downloading - that we can't get an idea on the sonic value of a particular download.... I have seen pages on DR etc... but again I am not sure how much or if something with an 'ok' dynamic range could sound just fine. It would be nice to hear just downloaded 'X' - the sonics are great ... definitely worth it!!

One update.... Listened to some of the Simon and Garfunkel.... Now these are old recordings.... I find the vocals and acoustic guitar to sound ethereal. I mean on Bridge over Trouble Water, Art Garfunkel sounds incredible.... and the acoustic throughout sounds very good as do the vocals. That alone is worth it.... I find some of the drum 'sounds' to essentially still sound like they are from a recording in 1966.... Maybe it is just the way the wanted it to sound... but a bit flat..... and some of the violins have that digititis feel.... All in all - I like it... there are some flaws... but nonetheless a good recording and if you like the music... you will like this download....

Will talk more on the Springsteen download later....

Back