Mark Levinson as amplifier for Martin Logan?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redux

Reaction score
Hi, I am currently considering Mark Levinson as an ampifier for Montis. They have a new integrated 585. Anyone with any experience on this one - or separated?

How are they performing vs. for instance Pass Labs or Mcintosh? Any experices? At least I can tell that the match the impedance load - on the paper they should be the "perfect" match.

Hi Redux,
My experience is with the older 331 amplifier. In my system, the Levinson is better than my old trusty Classe' CA300. I've listened to McIntosh and I really wanted to like McIntosh, but the Mac just did not have the tonal presence like the Levinson or Pass. I understand that the newer Levinson (from Harman) amplifiers deviate somewhat from the older design, but they still try to achieve the same neutral, sonic quality that's been the signature of Levinson. I think Levinson is a good match with your Logans. As with any equipment of this caliber, you should audition the Levison with your Montis before pluncking down your hard-earned money.

Here's my post on the Levinson 331:Amp upgrade from Classe' to Levinson

Good luck,
Spike

Hi Redux,
My experience is with the older 331 amplifier. In my system, the Levinson is better than my old trusty Classe' CA300. I've listened to McIntosh and I really wanted to like McIntosh, but the Mac just did not have the tonal presence like the Levinson or Pass. I understand that the newer Levinson (from Harman) amplifiers deviate somewhat from the older design, but they still try to achieve the same neutral, sonic quality that's been the signature of Levinson. I think Levinson is a good match with your Logans. As with any equipment of this caliber, you should audition the Levison with your Montis before pluncking down your hard-earned money.

Here's my post on the Levinson 331:Amp upgrade from Classe' to Levinson

Good luck,
Spike

Hi, thank you for useful inputs!

Regarding the Pass Lab and Mcintosh - which kind of macs and pass labs did you test? In my experience there are huge differenes between macs in age, SS/tube etc.

Regards,

I had auditioned the Pass X150 in my system a long time ago and was quite impressed with this amp. Very articulate and transparent. I also auditioned the McIntosh 302 stereo amp at lengths at Magnolia AV center. The most recent time being when I was looking to replace my blown Classe'. I gave Magnolia a description of my system and had them set up the Mac tube preamp, 302 amp, driving the Summit-X for an audition. My wife was interested in the smaller footprint and aesthetics of the Summit-X over the ReQuests so we were considering a packaged deal with the Summit-X and Mac 302. Magnolia reconfigured the room for my audition and I spent about 1.5 hours auditioning. The sound from the Mac/Summit-X combo was too hifi, and not as engaging as what I've come to expect from Logans.

Thank you! How do you describe "too hifi". In my mind I would guess that Mark Levinson is seemingly more hifi (higher resolution, less color) than Mcinotsh (less details, more color) ??

Thank you! How do you describe "too hifi". In my mind I would guess that Mark Levinson is seemingly more hifi (higher resolution, less color) than Mcinotsh (less details, more color) ??

For this particular combination McIntosh 302 + Summit-X, the sound was high-resolution, but thin in the vocals. Bass and highs were there but there was no "weight" or "tone" to the vocals, making this combination sound lifeless. With the Levinson and Pass, there was more "presence" to the vocals.

Very interesting as I have had quite the opposite experience between Mcinntosh MA8000 and Ma79000 vs. separated class A Accuphase, Luxman class A integrated and Bryson. Maybe Mc 302 is quite different - but thin vocals on transformers sounds very wrong. Could this be the DAC, the room or cables / source?

but thin vocals on transformers sounds very wrong
Don't get me wrong, I meant "thinner" than I would like. The bass was there, but the vocals lacked the presence/tone I am used to with my system. It could be a number of things, including source, room, or even how the electronics was configured by the salesperson. I did not pursue this venue further since I was able to get a mint Levinson 331 for my system.

My experience (1st with sequel and now CLX) is that ML´s loves power. The new 585 looks pretty nice with good compromises you just get a lot of Mark Levison for your money, I just have the impression you must have at least 200-250W at disposal to have the least out off your fine system. The Montis can not be compaired with the old Sequel or CLX, but my ML. No 432 (400W 8 Ohm) just plays fantastic with both trancience and energy, and a little loud when need to, some classic recordings just have quite low leverage. I hope you have the oppertunity to test different amps at home, because the choose should be set here :)
Regards

Back