Need some advice

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wink

MLO Supporter
Reaction score
Looking for opinions, please...

I have move to a new home and now have the opportunity to utilize a small closet off of the living room to place an equipment rack. My dilemma is the distance I will now have to run speaker wire to my reQuests (approx 40 feet via the attic). I have always tried to keep my runs less than 10 ft from amp to speaker. I am using an Integra 80.2 and a Sunfire CG attached with Kimber XLR cables..

I am worried about a dramatic loss of power due to the distance. I thought about placing the amp on the floor between the speakers, but that would require an extremely expensive XLR run to the pre/pro.

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Dan

Last edited:
I have move to a new home and now have the opportunity to utilize a small closet off of the living room to place an equipment rack. My dilemma is the distance I will now have to run speaker wire to my reQuests (approx 40 feet via the attic). I have always tried to keep my runs less than 10 ft from amp to speaker. I am using an Integra 80.2 and a Sunfire CG attached with Kimber XLR cables..

I am worried about a dramatic loss of power due to the distance. I thought about placing the amp on the floor between the speakers, but that would require an extremely expensive XLR run to the pre/pro.

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Dan

So, if I stay with running speaker wire over that length, I'm thinking I would need between 4-8awg wire in order to lose the least amount of power from the amp.

Am I on the right path?

So, if I stay with running speaker wire over that length, I'm thinking I would need between 4-8awg wire in order to lose the least amount of power from the amp.

Am I on the right path?

For that length 12awg is sufficient. Good up to 60 feet. I run 12awg 50 to my rear channels and have no issues.

Gary

I thought about placing the amp on the floor between the speakers, but that would require an extremely expensive XLR run to the pre/pro.

Dan

I made my XLR cables using 22/4 plus ground and shield wire bought at Home Depot, and Switchcraft XLR's. $0.33 per foot for the wire. I had been using short mid-line AudioQuest RCA cables, the DIY XLR's are a noticeable improvement - or for those of you using AQ speak "the DIY cables degrade the signal less than what I was using".

When I upgrade the two channel amp for my surrounds I'll be able to use long interconnects and short speaker wire. Currently that amp is unbalanced only, the new amp will be fully balanced.

Yeah, I was going to add that XLR's don't have to be all that expensive. I have a 25' run of Balanced Zebra Cable that I think I paid about $150 for. Signal Cable should be in the same ballpark I believe.

Lots of folks will tell you (myself included) that a pretty optimal length for speaker cables is between 8-10', some would advise even shorter. I think you would be better off running the longer XLR's and keeping the speaker cables more manageable.

Hi folks!

Thank you for the replies!

OK so, I ordered 250 feet of Monoprice 12awg with 4 conductors ($165/250ft) that I'm going to wire in parallel giving me what I guess will be about 9-10 gauge cable. I'm running two of those, one to the woofer and one to the panel. I am hoping to get as little current loss as possible with that setup. I let you know how it goes.

It's nice to be back on the forum after so many years absent... some of you I remember, and hope to get to know you guys once again.

I will also update my system pictures soon. I had to fire sale my last system and it broke my heart.

Cheers!

Dan

Latest posts

Back