Hello and seeking adivce

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2+2

Reaction score
Hello from an almost new owner of some Vantages in northern VA. I have waited a long time to get my self some MLs and although I have bought a set for my father, this set will be for me! I will be taking delivery of new-to-me Vantages in the next few days and am working on a 2-channel set up using my existing equipment...which is why I am posting here seeking your input.

I have the following that may be suitable for matching with the Vantages and am curious, which components would you use to maximize sound quality based on your experience and opinion? How would you hook it all up using which cables? I know it would be hard to guess but admittedly, I am too lazy to break my systems down and reassemble to try every permutation/combination.
So, I have:
1. Pre-amp: Rotel RC 1070
2. Receivers with Pre-outs that can be used as pre-amp and/or amp: Music Hall Maven (stereo 100w), Marantz SR8400 (5x125w, toroidal, copper shielding), Harmon Kardon AVR230 (5x50w) (these receivers are a tempting option as they contain good DACs for a Bluetooth receiver and internet streamer I also have)
3. Amplifiers: two Rotel RB 1080 (250w, toroidal), Harmon Kardon PA5800 (5x80w, toroidal)
4. CD: Music Hall CD 25 w/op amp upgrade, Yamaha DVD S-2300 (SACD, DVDA)
5. Interconnects: Kimber Toniks, Audio Quest Copperhead, IXOS braided, KnuKoncepts silver coated w/ locks
6. Speaker cable: Acoustic Research 10 g silver coated, Monster Cable standard copper (I think 12 g), Acoustic Research standard copper 12 g

So what do you think? Thanks in advance!

"4" , welcome aboard, as to your questions, having owned Vantages years ago and powering them initially with Rotel I heartedly recommend the RC1070 / RB1080 combination. You won't be disappointed.

Thanks for the input. My thoughts were also on Rotel but they don't seem very popular with the ML crowd so I thought I would solicit some opinions. I picked up the Vantages today. Not mint but very good condition. I should have it fully hooked up tonight with the Rotel gear unless I am encouraged to do something different by other board members. I will use Kimber and the silver coated speaker cables...

I should have it fully hooked up tonight with the Rotel gear unless I am encouraged to do something different by other board members.
The other members are the least of your problem. Given the revealing nature of the Logans, they will be screaming for "upgrading of the upstream" electronics before you know it! Spoken from personal experience, of course! Enjoy your system.

Spike

Well I am enjoying some quiet piano music while my kids are down. Hard to formulate impressions at lower volumes but I am enjoying it. Yes, it is still the airy sound I remember from 10 years ago when I first heard MLs when I went speaker shopping. After listening to about 25 different speakers at various dealers, I left impressed with ML (cant remember models but I think they were Summits and Vantages), Totem Staaf, and Polk LSi15 with the wonderful Vifa ring radiator tweeters. I couldn't afford MLs then and Totems were too small so I opted for the Polks which I still have. I will resist the temptation to go further upstream because it is a never ending money pit and I think I am at the cusp of diminishing returns...although I can use a separate DAC for my streaming music devices.

Question...in closely inspecting the speakers (there were some minor nicks here and there), I noticed small hairline fractures on the plastic piece behind the panels where the cabinet is. I found this thread with pictures here which is pretty much what mine looks like.

http://www.martinloganowners.com/forum/showthread.php?11152-Vantage-damage-2

Is this something to worry about? I wonder how much the part costs. The last poster said he fixed it himself...

Hi there... yes.. I think given what you have... the Rotel seems like the winner there... As you may have read/seen/known.... getting those speakers away from the front wall really makes a very big difference in the airy aspect you have pointed out... Hopefully your room will allow it..... thanks tim.

Thx for your input timm and your comment about the wall is noted but I cant have it all. I had some time today to listen at normal volumes and things sound good but there are some issues at normal volumes:
Due to positioning close to a corner and the wall, I was getting some loading of the bass. I have turned down the bass on the Vantages to try to compensate and I think I have got it to a level desired. This is one of the reasons I wanted a Vantage because even with a very understanding wife, placement can be limited and I found bass can be hard to control. IMHO, powered subwoofers are often less integrated in sound but the trade off in allowing for flexibility in placement is worth it for me.
The highs are very detailed but a bright so I was getting ear fatigue. Not sure what the source of it is but am considering swapping out the silver coated speaker cables with copper ones first and then try Audioquest copperheads instead of Kimbers.

Last edited:
Question...in closely inspecting the speakers (there were some minor nicks here and there), I noticed small hairline fractures on the plastic piece behind the panels where the cabinet is. I found this thread with pictures here which is pretty much what mine looks like.

http://www.martinloganowners.com/forum/showthread.php?11152-Vantage-damage-2

Is this something to worry about? I wonder how much the part costs. The last poster said he fixed it himself...

Check the bottom corner (brackets) with a flashlight too. Damage is quite common there also.
Hard to say whether this is caused by shipping the Vantages fully assembled or overtightening the bolts. One of the disadvantages of high-tensile plastic. :(
In my case they were delivered with both bottom brackets slightly fractured although ML will ship you a full set (or to your local dealer) on request.
Replacing them is awkward but straightforward. Possibly made easier by an extra pair of hands.
Try to be careful when tensioning the bolts as you don't want to end up where you started (!)
What you may find is that loud bass from the active woofer will loosen both the fixing bolts and the spikes. Eventually you'll work your way up to level of tension on each that no longer requires constant checking. Balancing the bass control towards a "minus" setting e.g. -4db, will also prevent these bolts from loosening. Stronger bass will require more periodic spot checks.
You'll find though that MLs image far better when bass is not the dominant sonic feature.
Hope this is helpful.
Cheers and happy listening.

Tip : When balancing bass your ear should not be drawn towards the boxes at the bottom. When you get the balance set appropriately, bass on centre vocals will appear as a small "corporealised ball of sound" floating 1 or 2 feet above speaker height (along with the other components of the voice), completely disembodied from the speaker itself.

(Mind you, with the bass turned up, I've never heard Led Zeppelin sound so visceral! Makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up! ;^)
It's always nice to have a choice :)
All the best,

Thanks for the info Victor. I will give ML a call about the plastic piece. I am on my third pair of speaker cables and that seems to have attained balance of not being too bright but not losing any detail. I also noticed the subwoofer is always ON. Strange. I will have to ask them about that as well. I am still in the tweaking stage with my reference CDs but I am looking to put in Kashmir when all is said and done!

To loop back on this thread, I called ML to ask about the plastic piece. The tech was not concerned as to the minor hairline cracks...it is only when the cracks get bigger and start to rattle which may eventually happen...but the piece is apparently only about $40 each and can be replaced on your own with some extra hands. The subwoofer is always on as well.

Back