ML Motion 35 XT - How "Martin Logan" Like?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuck

Reaction score
Good Afternoon,

I'm new to the forum, glad to have discovered it, and have a question about the "Motion 35 XT" for this group.

My Sequel II speakers provided over two decades of SUPERB quality music. I particularly liked the clarity, the pristineness, the exactness, the detail that the Sequel II speakers provided. [Classe DR-9 amp, Classe CP-60 pre-amp, Oppo BDR-95 cd player] We 'downsized' last summer; the Sequel IIs were replaced by the smaller ElectroMotion ESL. The ML electrostatic speakers still (to me) sound exceptional.

I'm likely to set up a "secondary" music system in a family room, probably powered by an old (restored) Marantz 2325 receiver. I'm reluctant to give up the electrostatic sound, yet even the ESLs are too big and awkward to work in the room.

In recent years ML has introduced more traditional "box" speakers. I'm considering the Motion 35 XT, which will easily fit in our family room (~ 16' x 20') for a secondary music system. The bookshelf design better meets our needs than a tower speaker would. Does anyone have experience with the Motion 35 XT? How close is their sound to traditional electrostatic speakers (exact; detailed)? The high end transducer of the Motion 35 XT is the "Folded Motion XT;" not the typical ML electrostatic panel, and yet not a traditional cone tweeter.

My suspicion is the 35 XTs are probably more detailed that other traditional speakers, yet not as pristine and sharp (maybe bright) as the electrostatic speakers. Yet, that's just my GUESS.

I can't imagine a better group to pose this question to. At some point I'll actually listen to the speakers at a local dealer; yet not asking THIS GROUP seems dumb.

Any feedback, thoughts, guidance, alternatives ... or input of any kind would truly be helpful, and appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Chuck

Last edited:
I run a five channel setup of motion 50xt center channel.config through an anthem d2v. They for sure need and amp for them to reach thier potential in comparison to the motion 8 and 40 centers I ran. The og motion series sounds much better at low and late night volume or just to replace the sound on the tv as they have a really brighter sparkle making the dialogue super coherent and they do amazing.

Latest posts

Back