Strand count

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Roberto ,what a fantastic collection you have ,the first guitar photo, has a similar wood to my kasuga, all i can say is it sustains a note like no other ,i passed up a martin, after hearing the kasuga it holds a note forever. None of my guitars have the history or build quality of your wonderfull collection, but there is a conection to my audio passion, and that is ,that they were also purchased after a lot of listening ,the ear choose ,yet again ,which one to buy.
Come to think of it, the kusuga is made by a japanese violin maker,which got me interested in it in the first place!!
I have played a few really old acoustics over the years ,you can almost hear the history when playing them.i never pass up the chance to play an old one if offered, its almost if your hands have respect.i always seem to play at my best when playing a guitar with history
good to know i can still spot them"}}} thank you roberto this has made my day!!

Thanks Cliff. Getting back to your seek, the silver to my ears, provides a great harmonic texture that I do not get from copper. Also, do not buy the cable new, is the same that you buy used, and for a fraction of the retail price. I also have a snake oil...the shun mook discs. Ask to Kedar what does he thinks about this. www.shunmook.com I do like a lot what they do to my system...perhaps you might like it too. Happy listening!

Roberto you running any silver in your interconects?? I am using darwin cables---rca only. These are a bit bright, so with silver speaker cables may be a bit over the top do you think?? I am beginning to think the silver is best kept to the speaker cables only ?whats your view???

Perhaps is due to my amp, because its tubed. It could be too bright with SS. You got me here. Yes, my ICs are Nordost Blue Heaven and also I use DHLabs BL-1 RCAs. All my ICs are 1.5m length. I do like single ended too. My ears do not like balanced cables. Its not as musical as my RCAs...and of course I know the theory behind the Balanced option. Incredible for super long runs. I remember when I was working at our Broadcast TV station Teletica Canal 7, that all the mics we used, were balanced. The cardioid coil impedance was near 10K ohms and the audio console was balanced 600 ohms. We usually used a little xformer for this purpose. On one side two pins 10K for the mic's coil, and 600 with centered tap for the console. I remember at that time, that I could hear a difference when the mic's coil was not in absolute phase. The sound was bigger than the ones that were in the same phase. A curious thing! Others there, could not tell.

Victor, i suspect we are of similar age ,the rca logo has long gone from australia, may still be going in the uk ?? They used to make some very good valve radio stuff in the forties and fifties,here.
Lol! I wasn't around when they formed the RCA Victor corporation Cliff, but I confess I did take early retirement this year ;^)

I see the newspapers are reporting on the UK scientist who discovered "Warp Drive" in 2006. He was able to prove the idea and a US corp bought it and have produced a working model although the Chinese claimed to have produced one themselves. The engine will be called EMDrive (electromagnetic drive) and is claimed to eventually propel vehicles to speeds of 450 million MPH!
Crikey! That's nearly as fast as Roberto & Justin's Nordost cables! ;^)
Acceleration is gradual and the theory goes that it'll take 10 years to reach top speed of 450,000,000 MPH. (They never mentioned anything about brakes though.....)
They'll need to change the Highway Code to reflect longer stopping distances :)

I suspect 450 million MPH still won't be fast enough for Dave (Twich) though.... ;^) :)

Last edited:
Yup, and it looks that the volcano is going to be as this, throwing ashes and rocks for some years ahead too. http://www.ovsicori.una.ac.cr/?option=com_content&view=article&id=43 Here, when it is not so cloudy, you can see it. Every 30 seconds there is a new picture.

We are getting the ashes every day. I just bought a new special broom for my speakers, and of course a vacuum cleaner. This is now an everyday task. Thanks for your concern...by the way, did you see my system? Its number 460. Right now, I am playing with a different DAC. Its a Benchmark HCR, and the sound is great. The M-DAC with the new firmware is great too. Digital is changing so fast, that I do not want to put too much money on it, because every 3 months, your digital goods are obsolete.

Regards my friend...thanks for your concern regarding the volcano! Happy listening!'

Roberto, sorry to hear about your problem! Conductive carbon ash landing inside your amp and on your Martin Logan speakers! It's the definition of Hell!
I have enough difficulties when someone burns the toast(!!)
Hope this clears up soon :(
All the best,

Roberto, sorry to hear about your problem! Conductive carbon ash landing inside your amp and on your Martin Logan speakers! It's the definition of Hell!
I have enough difficulties when someone burns the toast(!!)
Hope this clears up soon :(
All the best,[/QUOTE

According to the latest news, the volcano just start the heavier step. Now might be lava, and big rocks coming out from the crater at any moment. I do not want to be near that field. I just think about the wild animals and the persons that live there...its a most milk and cheese farms surrounding the base of the volcano...thanks for your concern, Victor.

Hi victor ,i am 3 1/2 years behind you ,age wise, and yes, i am counting every minute to retirement!!! Then it will be play time with my sound equipment and my kit car , and a lot of painting,have started collecting supplies, ie canvas ,paints etc .
I must admit, i have been following the em drive with great interest,when they start saying, it may be working down at quantum level,
thats cutting edge stuff, here come flying cars!! But when you have a prang ,and the power source goes up, it will most likely take out a city block!!

Yep i have the same experience with balanced cable ,its rca cables i prefer as well,
roberto the human ear is a wonderfull piece of kit,
and yet we all hear differently from each other,take my missus, she cannot stand any bass at all, its treble all the way with her.
She is happy with a twenty dollar radio !!
This makes thing hard ,when i want to do an upgrade, it is wasted on her.
I hear on the grapevine ,she is thinking about a thermomix?? For the kitchen,this is when i will pounce, it is very democratic in our household:}}
myself, my problem is blocked ears ,i have small ear canals so i am told by the doctors, so the best tweek for me is going and getting them cleaned out.
We all should give this a little think,when looking for a cheap tweek!
It can get so bad with me ,the other month i could have sworn that i had a channel out , nup,it was just my ears, it had me sweating for a minute "}}

Cliff...protect your ears at all costs m8...you only get one pair ;^)
I wear ear protectors with all machine tools and even when I'm vacuuming in a confined space.

When I was younger I religiously washed my eardrums out with soap but it turned out to be an irritant that encourages even greater wax production. Now I just wash the visible external part of the ear and the system seems to work. So my advice now would be to avoid putting anything inside the eardrum - including water (as that can lead to infection?).

A (medical) doctor friend I recall literally used to "freak out" whenever we mentioned putting things like cotton buds into the ear. He had a real phobia about it which always led to him fleeing the room!!
Hope the sonic balance is ok at the moment ;^)
Cheers,

Acceleration is gradual and the theory goes that it'll take 10 years to reach top speed of 450,000,000 MPH.

I suspect 450 million MPH still won't be fast enough for Dave (Twich) though.... ;^) :)

we're not getting younger,not sure I can wait ten years Victor !

:) :) Lol!! Dave...the good news is, in that vehicle, a few hours will last 10 years so you get better value for money! :)

Yep i have the same experience with balanced cable ,its rca cables i prefer as well,
roberto the human ear is a wonderfull piece of kit,
and yet we all hear differently from each other,take my missus, she cannot stand any bass at all, its treble all the way with her.
She is happy with a twenty dollar radio !!
This makes thing hard ,when i want to do an upgrade, it is wasted on her.
I hear on the grapevine ,she is thinking about a thermomix?? For the kitchen,this is when i will pounce, it is very democratic in our household:}}
myself, my problem is blocked ears ,i have small ear canals so i am told by the doctors, so the best tweek for me is going and getting them cleaned out.
We all should give this a little think,when looking for a cheap tweek!
It can get so bad with me ,the other month i could have sworn that i had a channel out , nup,it was just my ears, it had me sweating for a minute "}}
Cliff, every time that I want to do a change in my system, and some $$$ is going out of my pocket, what I do is I buy something for her...a new expensive purse, or some jewelry, not for the house, must be for her...and then, I do the change...if she says something about it, I will remind her the new present that I just gave to her...but usually, she is happy with her new present, and I am happy with my new toy. Of course that I never tell her my good's prices...never!

I do not know why balanced is not working with my ears...and I do know that the noise floor, apparently is better balanced...as I always say, sound is a matter of liking, as the food. There are people who likes garlic and onions, other just hate them! The music is the nourishment for our soul. Its the bridge to get easy to our Spirit. By the way, I just bought an used Stratocaster, its a vintage model in 88 with Lace Sensor pick ups. Also has a Kahler Spyder. Its a beauty. Now I am studding the pentatonic scales...I am having a lot of fun.
Happy listening!

Hi Roberto,
I am pleased you are enjoying your new Fender! ;^)

On upgrades : My wife takes your strategy, Roberto, and reverses it... :)
Upon hearing that I'm interested in making a hi-fi upgrade she "vetos" my Capital Application until she gets a "present" of similar value.
Last time it was a new bathroom! It's been fitted for over 18 months and I'm still waiting to get my upgrade approved! :( :(
This isn't democracy it's a dictatorship! ;^) :D

Best regards & happy listening,

Yup, I do understand you more than what do you think...this is my fourth spouse. Now we have over 15 years together, but I never tell the price of my toys, never. I did learn this with much experience! Yes, we have saying here: there is no bad 4th. And we truly are living nicely, no problems at all. Perhaps its due that we are older persons and what we like is sharing, loving and living, and also letting live! My kids like her and her kids like me. We truly live in almost perfect harmony. Together, but not mixed. Our friend Bernard met her, and he can conclude all what I am saying...at last I really found my other half. She is truly a lovely person. Now the advise: she is smart enough to know that the prices that I said are not a truly truth, but nothing is missing at the house, our bills are paid, we are in good health at the moment, so life is treating us nicely. If you have the money, buy what you want, its your money!
Peace and Love! Happy listening!

Bernard, as your lovely wife Jacintah...we are lucky to find great hearts and souls to live with us, and accept our way of being! Warm regards!

Well ,roberto ,it took me one wife and a divorce to get it sorted, so hats off to you roberto, you kept going all the way to four
!! Such stamina !! I must say, the older you get the better you get at relationships, we have been together 30 years ?? Seems like seven??
Philippa is a gentle soul ,and a giving one,
she works with elderly aged care.her clients dont want anyone else looking after them .which causes some problems ! With her work.
It seems that with toys ,one for her and one for him,is the way to go .
And i must say, life is much easier ,when you find your soul mate .

Back