Strand count

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes...that's the clue...being friends and understanding each other. Respect and care. Time really goes fast! Kind regards from Costa Rica!

A dear musician friend passed the way some time ago, and his brother, another musician, inherited. Having fun with some friends, he said that he needed some money and he was going to sell his brother's guitar. And right there, I told him to bring it to me, and the deal was done. Yes, you are right!. But when I was a teenager, I always had this desire to own a Stratocaster, and the wish was accomplished. I am learning to play an electric guitar. Now I am with the pentatonic scales...and learning all the figures. Its fun!

Happy listening my friend!

On the topic of speaker cables, lack of bass and wire gauge my recommendation would be to worry less about the gauge and more about experimenting with what sounds best in your system to your ears. A good source is The Cable Company who will loan you cables at a fraction of their cost which will count as store credit toward whatever cables you might chose. Silver, copper, silver with copper - I wouldn't get too hung up. Heck, mine have an aluminum - type core....

Good advise sb6, the only problem is that Cliff lives in Australia. But, he is seeking for quality bass, not only quantity. He is very aware of it. Happy listening!

I must say roberto ,i too have often thought about owning one myself,a sky blue one would do nicely! The action is so much faster than the classical guitar,i would take some time getting used to it. How are you managing that aspect of it?? This i think, for me, would be the hardest part, maybe along with the narrower neck,and fluffing the notes:}} and may i say bugger all skill :}}}}}

I must say roberto ,i too have often thought about owning one myself,a sky blue one would do nicely! The action is so much faster than the classical guitar,i would take some time getting used to it. How are you managing that aspect of it?? This i think, for me, would be the hardest part, maybe along with the narrower neck,and fluffing the notes:}} and may i say bugger all skill :}}}}}

Hola Cliff, I am high-jacking this thread. Right now, I am learning the figures of the pentatonic scales. First pentatonic E minor scale is E G A B D, and you must know where at the neck, you can play all these musical notes. Once you learn the 5 figures, one E at the open E sixth open string, then E string 3 fret G then A open 5th string then B second fret A string then D open 4th string, and on and on...you know this, right? Once I have learn this, I can start to improvise with these only notes as a beginner. With classical guitar, you have to learn to read music. Its a total different way to play the music, and you do not improvise. You know this too. Because I have left hand already trained, its easier. My brain is not. An old dog, learning new tricks is hard. But I am having a lot of fun. In 6 months ahead, I will tell you if I could or not. That's my time goal. I am pleased to add in my collection, a wonderful electric guitar, too. So, its nice and fun.

My left hand fingers are used to a very wide neck, and this guitar, the neck is very narrow. I am spoiling my classical technic, but if you do not do it at the street way (sorry for the electric guitar players), you are in trouble. You must dedicate time to practice this new technic and mastered only that way. I hope that I can learn it right! Happy listening.

My ability to read music left me many years ago,after i gave up the piano,my teacher was sister basil {a nun}at the local catholic school.
She taught me with a feather duster ,with the stick end across the knuckles every time i got it wrong:}} after three years i managed to convince my parents that i didnt like playing the piano all that much.
I finaly got hold of a classical guitar in my late teens, by then there were other distractions in my life, and the music took a back seat to well after i was married.{one of those distractions got me .:}
so roberto i learnt to play by improvising!, i have a great liking for blues , it has soul, like flamingo,strange some might say, linking these two genres ? But true nevertheless. So mate, have a crack at twelve bar blues.
Its easy to learn ,but as with all things good, it is hard to master. I think with your classical training and finger picking,you would maybe ,take to it like a duck to water ?:}}}
getting back to audio, i have found locally ,some 1666 strand 4 awg wire !! I will have to make up some spades out of copper tube ,a few wacks with a hammer and a round file should see it done . Then a $50 crio treatment,and i will put them to the test !!! So between the 9 awg solid core anti cables , my existing 8 awg 440 strand cables, and the 4 awg 1666 strand cables i hope to learn a little more for myself.there maybe some cat six insulated strand wire in the future as well. So looking forward to doing it !

Cliff, if you could find an oscilloscope, and feed a square signal at 1KHz, then 10KHz, and 40Hz to 70Hz. Remember that we have to deal with the capacitance, (little capacitors are present between the cable ant its isolator, resistance, and inductance. Every foot counts. Its a good idea to have twisted the cables, to prevent spurious and also, try to make them if its possible to separate them from each other at least half of an inch.

My classical teacher had two jars. One with 7 marbles, and the other empty. Then, when it was the time to give him the lesson, I did play the piece, and if there were no mistakes, he took out of the jar, one marble and put it into the empty one. If I was at the 6th marble, and made a mistake, he put back all the marbles to the first jar, and start all over again. I had to played the lesson 7 times with not mistakes. I have a little scar, next to my pinky finger in my right hand. The pinky finger should be placed next to the ring finger...and they work as a one finger, if I separated them, I got a heavy hit with a ruler. When my teacher saw that he hurt me, he was scared, and never did that again.

Not sure i understand using the oscilloscope?? For breaking in the cable???
They will have a good inch to two inch separating them when completed and fitted.
That blows me away roberto, i thought you would pick ,with all fingers?? Putting the ring finger with the pinky ,sounds impossible !!!!
I can pick with all fingers , i do tend to pick mainly with three, unless a classical piece is being played. Please dont think there is any talent there !!
When your teacher hit you with the ruler ,you must have given him a killer look .:)))

A high-speed oscilloscope would be good for checking for ringing or oscillation (and maybe interference) these can be problems way up in the MHz range.
The 40Hz to 70Hz square waves should look , well square.
The 1kHz will probably have some corner rounding.
The 10kHz will look more like a sine-wave.
Breaking in the cables? Don't be silly.
All multi-conductor (2 or more) unshielded cables should be twisted. It reduces interference pick-up.
Separating the 2 conductors of a speaker cable may reduce high frequency response.
Unless you have tube or legacy amplifiers, reasonable speaker cable capacitance shouldn't be a problem.
Twisted speaker cables don't need to be separated from other twisted speaker cables.

Not sure i understand using the oscilloscope?? For breaking in the cable???
They will have a good inch to two inch separating them when completed and fitted.
That blows me away roberto, i thought you would pick ,with all fingers?? Putting the ring finger with the pinky ,sounds impossible !!!!
I can pick with all fingers , i do tend to pick mainly with three, unless a classical piece is being played. Please dont think there is any talent there !!
When your teacher hit you with the ruler ,you must have given him a killer look .:)))
At the right hand, the pinky finger should be next to the ring finger, and acts like a one finger. In other words, the pinky just don't do nothing. So, putting the pinky there, its only cosmetic look. Watch your Australian and one of the best of the world Spanish guitar player, Mr. John Williams. Look at his right hand. You can see him at Youtube...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDlQE9djIxE

Thankyou roberto, that is one of my very few favorites. Used to play it as a duet, with a very old friend of mine years ago. For me it has so much emotion in it. It is so complete in its structure, its composition, to me ,is the best .
So who ever is following this , have a listen , the clasical guys will know recuerdos , like the back of their hand.
I completly forgot to look at the pinky finger ! With me,when playing clasical, the pinky follows the ring finger , i do tend to rest on it playing blues.
John williams can play anything, he is one of the few that you can say ,.ranking, means nothing, he is just up there.

Hey, by any chance, do you have whatsApp in your cel phone? My number is 506-8888-4363 Send to me your email address, and I promise to send you good things...I know you will like them a lot. My email is [email protected] or [email protected] I had being representing ML since 87 here in Costa Rica.

Back