Itunes Problems and Questions

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bernard

Reaction score
I recently picked up a Mac Mini to use as a music server, and am in the process of loading my CDs into it. I'm using iTunes as the user interface to my music library, and have run into a couple of problems. I was wondering if anyone knows how to fix them.

When I started off, the CDs were getting loaded (AIFF) with no problem, except that there was no artwork; I got the artwork for most from iTunes. iTunes did not have some of the artwork, but I know how to fix this. The problem now is that every time I load a CD I get two icons with the same artwork. If you delete one icon, both get deleted. How do I fix this?

I'm using the "Remote" app on my iPad to access iTunes. It works fine, with no double icons, except that for some of the disks with no artwork, iTunes grabs the artwork from another another disk, so you do get double icons, but with the correct title under the wrong icon. I expect that once I load the missing artwork this will get resolved.

I would like to use my iPad as a display for the Mini, and was wondering if anyone has used one of the apps such as Air Direct to do so.

I don't believe AIFF files have full tagging support. Is there any reason why you are using this as opposed to another lossless file type such as Apple Lossless?

I don't have any experience with Apple stuff, but I'd say this is the root cause of your problems.

The track listings get transferred, but not the artwork.

Why bother with anything that does compression (Apple Lossless) when hard disks and memory are cheap?

Last edited:
The track listings get transferred, but not the artwork.

Why bother with anything that does compression (Apple Lossless) when hard disks and memory are cheap?

Well, tags and artwork is one very good (and real) reason :) Ease of streaming is another.

Having the file in a format designed for streaming has very real advantages.

The flipside, of course, is "Why bother with full size files when there is no compromise with a lossless compression method"?

And when you start buying/acquiring high res files and studio masters, they'll most likely be in FLAC - adding further complexity you don't really need.

Last edited:
Hola Bernard. When this happens, what I do is google the the cd cover and there I get the cover. Double click the cd in Itunes and add cover. I dragg the cover from google images to Itunes.

Hola Bernard. When this happens, what I do is google the the cd cover and there I get the cover. Double click the cd in Itunes and add cover. I dragg the cover from google images to Itunes.

Yep, me too. Kind of a pain if you have a boatload, but if you do it one at a time, certainly manageable.

Right on Tim, it takes a little time and patience, but the library holds up steady and neat. Happy listening!

I'm officially fed up with the problems with using Apple's Remote app to control my iTunes library.....Home Sharing keeps getting turned off on the Mac, and with El Capitan I can't pair iTunes with the Remote app. It used to work buggy with Yosemite, but has gone for a crap with El Capitan. Other users report the same problems.

I know that a number of people here use jRiver, with the jremote app on the iPad. I would like to know if the operation is bug-free. Also, if I move to jRiver, can I just port over my iTunes library painlessly, or do I have to rip my CDs all over again?

Thanks.

JRiver just needs to be pointed to the root folder(s) where your music is stored. It will automatically import everything it finds.
You can set it up to scan for new music in those folders even if you are copying the files in or importing using iTunes.

FYI, I started using JRiver with a copy of my iTunes folders. I have AIFF files and FLAC files and many others.

JRiver will search for artwork automatically and backfill, but it will also allow you to specify the artwork from a file you have.

From the JRiver website.

"Support for all lossless formats of audio (FLAC, APE, ALAC, WM), AIFF and WAV files (including tagging); Bit-perfect playback (visualized with Audio Path) "

I have been importing as FLAC lately. The only downside is that iTunes doesn't recognize FLAC so I can't put those on an iPod. I tend to rip 256-320kbps MP3's for my iPod which only plays in my car.

Thanks Mark. Just the info I was looking for. I use AIFF mainly, but also have a few MP3.

Does the jRemote app work well on the iPad?

Thanks Mark. Just the info I was looking for. I use AIFF mainly, but also have a few MP3.

Does the jRemote app work well on the iPad?

It does. I have JRemote loaded on my wife's iPad and my Galaxy Tablet. They both work well, but are not nearly as full featured as the computer interface.

You can navigate your music by album, artist, playlist etc.. and that works fine.

I have another app called AnyMote SmartRemote that gives me a floating volume window that sits on top of the JRiver app and that I can control my OPPO 105D with. That gives it all I need.

BTW I have the computer interface running on a 65" TV between my speakers and have a wireless mouse on my coffee table to control it with. I like that the best, but sometimes I want something else on the TV and use the JRemote interface.

Thanks Mark.

My computer monitor is the exact opposite of yours. I didn't want a large monitor in my living room, so I'm using a 7" monitor. It requires good eyesight to navigate through it, but I've had cataract surgery on both eyes, so I can see great now!

I got the monitor from China for $80. It came in pieces, with no assembly instructions, but I managed to get it working.

Back