Lampi vs Esoteric K01 vs Shindo TT

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonzo

Reaction score
So, checked out two systems over Saturday and Sunday, both with the Esoteric K01.

One with Esoteric K01, Shindo pre (second from top), Shindo monos, and high end Audio Note speakers with external crossovers.

We first used Esoteric as a transport into the Lampi via a low end spdif cable. The Big 7 just blew the Esoteric away. It was a KO. The esoteric in comparison was as flat as pancake, with no soundstage. The owner liked the Lampi better too. He preferred his Shindo TT the most, and while I could see some things better in the TT, not enough to convince me - yet.

After the Esoteric was replaced by a noisy mac air as a transport, the soundstage and the rest fell but was still better than the esoteric.

We played the Lampi through both the Shindo pre and without it. With the pre out of the way, it is cleaner and faster and more accurate, but loses some body and weight, and valvey. This is the same experience that I had through my Jadis JPL. I prefer a pre, but can also do without. Nice guy, he usually books multiple tickets for major concerts which get sold out, so that he can hand some to his fellow audiophiles. I had picked up my Mahler 2 Berlin Philharmoniker from him.

The second system follows in the next post.

Attachments

• 20150425_145503.jpg
    20150425_145503.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 142
  • 20150425_154608.jpg
    20150425_154608.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
This system is a guy local to me, just a few minutes away. He has the Esoteric K01 with the 10MHz clock. With the clock, it is really close. Very tough to call, on PCM at least. Without the clock, it is 50% down.

The owner to preferred the Lampi. In fact he is thinking of getting one. He preferred it directly in, bypassing his Krell Evo 202 pre. Speakers are Hornings. They can go close to the wall. The first guy is strictly classical, the second is strictly non-classical, more pop style.

Attachments

• esoteric.jpg
    esoteric.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
The esoteric in comparison was as flat as pancake, with no soundstage.

Having lived with the Esoteric K01 (without clock) for two months in my system with my ancillary gear, the above statement is unequivocally false.

The Lampi may well be better but to make such a gross, inaccurate generalization, is ridiculous and irresponsible.

PS: Kedar, we know you like Lampi but when is enough enough? How far do you intend to go to discredit other digital manufacturers?

Last edited:
Having lived with the Esoteric K01 (without clock) for two months in my system with my ancillary gear, the above statement is unequivocally false.

The Lampi may well be better but to make such a gross, inaccurate generalization, is ridiculous and irresponsible.

PS: Kedar, we know you like Lampi but when is enough enough? How far do you intend to go to discredit other digital manufacturers?

Hi sorry if you don't like to hear that. I was interested in comparing the Lampi to a sota cdp, since I had tried it only against dacs, and I was very disappointed. Best of luck with yours, glad you like it.

If you want me to put you. across to the guy who has a clock, happy to do so. He will tell you what you don't want to hear though, that without the clock the sound is flat. That will also give you another view to what you consider my biased view

He will tell you what you don't want to hear though, that without the clock the sound is flat.

I made the decision to no longer own the K01 based on what I heard. I have no need to have that verified by anyone else. Maybe you do. I don't.

I can see a Mook or two LOL.

Nice TT collection one looks very BobC from zee Wam. I'd like to hear some Shindo gear at some stage.

Which Hornings are they? Look a bit deep for Eufrodite (which I have heard) but may be wrong.

I can see a Mook or two LOL.

Nice TT collection one looks very BobC from zee Wam. I'd like to hear some Shindo gear at some stage.

Which Hornings are they? Look a bit deep for Eufrodite (which I have heard) but may be wrong.

I can see this building into a crime thriller where there is a serial killer of other people's sources - most of the crimes fall on a weekend. Detective Justin is hot on the chase, and looks around the crime scene and sees some clues left behind in the form of exotic pieces of ebony wood. He puts two and two together (though you actually need three pieces to make a valid triangle, but whatever)

Yes one was made by Bob C, that's the Gerrard. The one in the middle is a mono. I think they are euphrodites but maybe wrong. I forgot, didn't pay much attention.

1st paragraph had me laughing.

I detect 101D but rectifiers and other triodes remain a deep mystery. Need I call Sherlock, or will you willing divulge at risk?

1st paragraph had me laughing.

I detect 101D but rectifiers and other triodes remain a deep mystery. Need I call Sherlock, or will you willing divulge at risk?

101D, in the next pic 6A3s (he preferred those). The recti is a cheap recti given by Lukasz to Greg but I like it, just 20 quid or so. Don't remember what the brand is, will text you when I get home at night. I also have a Psvane 274B WE replica for recti, but not convinced about it yet.

6A3? So last season. I have moved on one to 7B4.:ROFL:

Come on GG cheer up and lighten the load.:)

Back