Is it ok to put lights behind the panel?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

datastreamcom

Reaction score
I have ESLs and I put a floor lamp with a mid-hight arm and a light behind the panels so I can see thru the speakers.

They're about 10 - 12" away from the rear of the panel. They are pigtail florescent bulbs and don't put out much heat.

Is it ok to do this?

Thanks

No heat? Yes, it's fine. I suppose you could theoretically yellow the mylar over time, but I suspect not. LED's would be best. Definitely not Incandescent or Halogen. Candles are out too :)

Even fluorescent and compact fluorescent lamps put out a fair amount of UV light. LED's much less so. Over time the light shining directly on the panel could cause some degradation. I'm in the Lighting industry, very high end lighting. We're not working on anything that isn't LED, especially if there is any sensitivity to color temperature or UV. If you have an opportunity to do so, I'd find a way to swap to an LED source.

@InterMechanico
Alright! Yeah, I was concerned about yellowing too. So I'm using bright white. lol

Cool. Thanks!

Last edited:
I have ESLs and I put a floor lamp with a mid-hight arm and a light behind the panels so I can see thru the speakers.

They're about 10 - 12" away from the rear of the panel. They are pigtail florescent bulbs and don't put out much heat.

Is it ok to do this?

Thanks

sure it is. don't go for led type bulbs, those are too cold. UV issues that others point out seem like an absurd to me in this case.

may I suggest a cheap lump with bulb pointing from the ground up onto the wall behind the panels, that would give a dramatic effect.

sure it is. don't go for led type bulbs, those are too cold. UV issues that others point out seem like an absurd to me in this case.

may I suggest a cheap lump with bulb pointing from the ground up onto the wall behind the panels, that would give a dramatic effect.

Well, I make my living as a Lighting Manufacturer, selling more than $45M of it last year, quite a bit of it to museums and art galleries which have very strict requirements with regard to UV emmissions for exactly the reasons I cited to the OP. LED sources don't have to be cold at all, we sell 2700K, 3000K, 3500K, 4000K and 5000K in our products, and most people find 3000K to be quite comperable to incandescent, but with a much higer CRI. Maybe you are interpreting the better color rendering as being "cold". I assure you that a good 2700K LED product will look decidedly warm - too much so for a lot of applications. It needs to be a good device though, not some cheap piece of crap. There are a LOT of lighting manufacturers out there who don't pay any attention to device binning or black body curves.

Back