Can i use my ESLs with the OEM dust cover on?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

datastreamcom

Reaction score
Does anyone know if using ESLs with the cover on does any damage to the panels? I've had mine about 3 years. I'd say about 2 of those out of their own boxes. I almost never take the dust covers off. Sounds plenty fine at low to medium volume levels. Of course they sound detectably better without, but its a pain to take them off every night when I use them.

Thanks

With all due respect, this could be the most bizarre post I've ever seen on this forum.

One has to question why you bought this speaker in the first place.

If it's too much trouble to remove the covers, may I suggest you investigate purchasing another speaker.

Oh come on. This cant be the most bizarre post you've seen. And anyway, no you may not suggest I investigate purchasing another speaker. Good heavens. Who let this guy in?

They sound perfectly fine visa vie my listening area.

I take it you don't use yours 80% of the time your home. And I'm out and home everyday. Yes, it's a pain to take them off. I havent experienced any of the popping sounds others have reported to be dust buildup on the panels. And believe me, there was dust a'plenty this winter when I left the fireplace flu open overnight. The main system came on and pulled all the smoke and ash in, all night long while I slept. Baaad layer of dust on everything, and speakers are in same room as fireplace. No issues to report tho.

And honestly, with some eq tweaking on the highs (not much), the sound comes straight through the thin cover fabric.

I don't know. it works for me. I can't find anything on ML's site regarding the cover and when it should be used.

I'd appreciate any info you might have on the subject.

Thanks

Does anyone know if using ESLs with the cover on does any damage to the panels? I've had mine about 3 years. I'd say about 2 of those out of their own boxes. I almost never take the dust covers off. Sounds plenty fine at low to medium volume levels. Of course they sound detectably better without, but its a pain to take them off every night when I use them.

Thanks

Whatever your drinking young man….stop.

Gordon is right, you are bizarre

We must not be thinking of the same thing I guess.

That or I've somehow managed to turn some folks world upside down using dust covers on a speaker.

Ok, i guess no one's done it, or is doing it. Let me be the first to say they seem to work great. (emoticon here)

Hola. One of the most interesting and wise design, and a wonderful feature from Martin Logan, is to have the speaker's diaphragm direct to our ears, and nothing between them, just the air. Any fabric will dull the sound. If you can not tell the difference in the quality sound, its your ears. I can tell, Dave can tell, Gordon can tell, in other words, we can tell a huge, enormous, big, impressive, long, great, gigantic, massive, astronomical, considerable, extensive difference in the sound quality without the cover. This is the reason why we do not use any cover while we are listening the musician(s) playing for us in our system. With the cover on, you spoil the stage, and the size of the instruments too. You can't get the fun that the musician(s) are having, playing their instruments or singing along.

If you feel that you do not need to remove the cover, its OK too. Its your system. Do not worry about us, the crazy users. Just enjoy your music! Happy listening.

I leave my covers on unless I'm sitting down to really enjoy some music. They're not easy to clean, and I live near train tracks. Gordon must not have gotten any Skookum covers with the MBL's ;).

I had totally forgotten that my Summits had dust covers until I went to sell them. Opened up the boxes and there they were... "Oh yea.. Forgot about those", I saiid.

I can see using them if your system is used occasionally. Mine were used daily so I didn't bother with them.

I would definitely take them off when playing. Kind of a strange question, indeed. ;-)

Last edited:
I don't think the question is so strange.

The TO clearly writes that he hears and appreciates an improvement without the covers. And while most of us here probably agree with Roberto's statement that the direct access to the diaphragm is a huge asset in ML speakers, I am sure most of you will agree with me that QAUDs are also very good - despite their many layers of dust-covers etc.

If the sound with the covers is ok for background listening, e.g. while reading or having conversations, and the room is subject to a large amount of dust from a fireplace, I think that only removing the covers for "active listening" where we want to imagine the players in the room playing for us makes a lot of sense.

I have never heard my Vantages with the cover since I bought them pre-owned with no covers or boxes, so I cannot comment on how I would here it. But that's really not the issue here anyway. The important thing is to answer if the covers can damage the speakers. It seems InterMechanico leaves the covers on for casual listening as well, but perhaps the TO should direct the question to the ML service department?

Yes Datastreamcom, you can also leave your socks on when you take a bath. :) If you are OK with how they sound covered then do that. It won't hurt a thing.

agreed...Gordon and Larry.......'case closed' !

Dave thanks for reopening this , I was going to ask if I could leave my dust covers on AND unplug my speakers because the fidelity is really annoying.

I am not trying to be mean spirited but really do you want to leave dust covers on?? You bought these speakers for the amazing sound they deliver and then to minimize that makes no sense.

If you live in a harsh environment maybe a cone speaker may be a better choice.

Whatever your drinking young man….stop.

better yet, let him tell us what it is that he's drinking...

on a more serious note: hearing damage? no joke, try working for a while with some power tools like saws, grinders etc without wearing hearing protection and I guarantee you the effect to be the same.

I am not trying to be mean spirited but really do you want to leave dust covers on?? You bought these speakers for the amazing sound they deliver and then to minimize that makes no sense.

and

Gordon Gray said:
With all due respect, this could be the most bizarre post I've ever seen on this forum.

Why bother replying if you can not be constructive?

These posts (above) are the only sort of posts responsible for this thread "going down the toilet".

I can understand wanting to leave the dust covers on while the speakers are not in use. Dust, kids, etc.

We all buy Martin Logan speakers to experience the amazing sound, however we do not necessarily need that "amazing sound" at all times. A 3-hour listening session is very different to wanting to watch the evening news at 6pm.

If leaving the dust covers on for casual listening is your preference, I can't imagine it would have any detrimental effect. You might want to check with ML though.

A better solution to your problem OP might be to buy another set of speakers for casual listening. Something small and inconspicuous like a pair of Bose cubes? You can use those for TV, background music, etc and only crank the MLs up when you are serious.

Why bother replying if you can not be constructive?

A better solution to your problem OP might be to buy another set of speakers for casual listening.

Sorry Adam, Constructive versus being honest about the negative impact of doing this?

I thought this site was about ML's and optimizing their potential. Not about reproducing background music played on a Bose based system. Obviously, I am wrong.

And yes, buying another pair of speakers, to fit the OP's lifestyle, is exactly what I suggested in one of my previous posts.

Let the animosity between you and I continue.

I thought this site was about ML's and optimizing their potential.

You thought wrong.

From the site:

.......a permanent home to discuss .........all things Martin Logan!

That would include
1. Caring for them, and;
2. Operating them in real world conditions and family situations.

Exactly what this thread is about.

This site is friendly. Continual passive-aggressive digs (prefaced by "With all due respect") at new members asking justified questions is not really fair.

Last edited:
...And yes, buying another pair of speakers, to fit the OP's lifestyle, is exactly what I suggested in one of my previous posts....

Yes obviously! It makes much more sense to spend more money buying a new set of speakers for casual listening than to simply use the dust covers that the TO already has. And it will look sooo good in the living room. You are joking, right, Gordon?

Please remember that the TO in his opening post writes that he can hear and does appreciate a clear improvement in the sound without the covers. He simply wants his panels to live as long as possible, and is therefore willing to accept (for casual background listening) the sound degradation of the covers in exchange for improved dust protection. I see no reason to flame him for that. In fact, to me it seems well inline with your claimed purpose of this forum: "optimizing their potential". Surely, that must include making the panels last as long as possible. If I had my dust covers, I would put them on when I enjoy background music while I cook, vacuum clean, dust-off, etc. I even think that removing the dust covers whenever I sit down for pure music/movie enjoyment would become a ritual I would end up enjoying much as I do enjoy putting on a record, carefully dusting it before lowering the stylus in the groove. So burn me at the stakes for heresy as well!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back