Refurbing panels

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CLIFF

Reaction score
Hi all, my panels are getting to the end of their life,so far, i am out to 13 years old.these panels have been running about 5 hours a day minimum hooked into the tv.
Why they have lasted so long i dont know,there doesnt appear to be any sound holes over either panel but thinking due to the disparity between the aussie doller and us dollar.buying now rather than later, would be a wise move.
I have read the thread suggesting respraying of the panels with conductive spray may bring them back,but the thread ends ,before any info could be given.

So not one to be without a project for too long ,with the arrival of new panels,i am thinking of having a crack at this with the old ones. So any info is good info . May get away with just spraying them?? May need to replace the mylar?? I will attempt to try the conductive fluid first.
I may have to build a large grabber {for want off a better word}the length of the panel,there is a similar tool for stretching canvas over a frame that artists use ,not sure they exist at a length that would be required.but thats the idea.
After building a few bits of furniture, along with a kit car ,i think i am ready to have a go at this { he says, in a righteous voice:}}
so guys, in this info building phase,let the ideas and information flow free!!

One last thought,if i can get the mylar thickness, and the big question,tension sorted, it would be much easier when pulling apart the old panels, {no need to be carefull,}

Hi roberto,not sure how i missed this on how its made?? But plenty of good info here .the only stuff i need to find out now is mylar thickness and the tension used,might have to experiment a little. But so far,it appears like it can be done. Hoping also that the conducting spray in the earlier thread is correct,this may be the biggest problem,without it i will be stuffed.
Thanks again roberto ,you are the goto man:}}}}

Hi roberto a refurb out of germany is half the price of new panels,landed in australia,
i have decided to get the genuine panels mainly because i will then be able to have a go re doing the old ones.
The german guy looks like he can supply all the bits needed to re do the old panels,the big question now is what tension do i need ,this is the only stumbling block left, i can certainly do it ,after building a simple jig,thank you roberto for the quality imput.

Hi roberto ,had a breakthrough, there is a local dude who sells all the material needed,to either recoat the panel or replace the diaphram.it doesnt look to hard ,but there is a bit of prep needed,if replacing the mylar.
A small jig will need to be made . It is just two long pieces of wood with the stat curve cut into the end bits.
All materials needed to replace both lots of mylar is about $70.00,there are other costs ,ie, wood for the jig etc,so all up ,having a guess,$200 bucks all up. Sure as hell beats $3000.
Now the hard part seperating the front and back stators. I will have a go at just recoating first up. Will supply all info to whoever may want it

I wish to you the best. Its not an easy task. Many of us had tried, but with not success. When you see the numbers at the beginning, of course I will rather invest only a 10%. But I do not have any warranty (5 years from the factory) and I do know that if they are perfectly matched. The stat panels from the factory are computer matched in a special chamber, their sensitivity and frequency response.

OTOH, some had done this in Germany, I think, with good results. I do not know the name of the company or the person who does this repair. Perhaps if you do some search here at the forum, you might find who is.

Also aside, just think that you are buying new Odysseys for that expensive price. And they do come with the 5 year warranty. Just my 2 cents!. Happy listening.

Last edited:
I hear you roberto, i can certainly buy the genuine panels,if i stuff up repairing them,but at $200, i get two shots. Ie, recoating the panels and if that is no good, i can completly recover and coat them,who knows ,there may be a set of home built stats,i can build,after all of this.??? So its a good chance to learn with very little cost attached .
And above all, i just might get some good speakers at a small price.

Hi roberto ,going to er audio to pickup the refurb kit on the weekend. Total reskin kit is $170.00.
I had a good look around net wise, it seems rob ,is quite well known around the electro static community,and has been biulding speakers for many years.he also has a distributor in the us,beck audio, and also one in the uk.

He does a replacement set of panels for one of the smaller logans. These ,as single panels are used as well for surround speakers.
His website is well worth a look. His speaker kits are at a nice price as well.cheers,cliff

thanks for the recommendation Cliff. I am going to wait for your experience with the kit, and how did the kit to yours. that's a bargain price. happy listening!

Back