MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toptip

Reaction score
Hi,

I had just finished college when the CLS came out. As blown away as I was, I did not get a pair. First, I already had a pair of Acoustat 3Ms to lug to graduate school, then wherever work led me. But there was something else too.

Over the years I figured out what it was: I would rather they looked like mirrors I had seen in 80s fashion shops, chromed metal in a dark red frame, like out of Macassar ebony, not black panels in oak. But I did not dare get a new pair, literally destroy the panels and hopefully rebuild them, just to satisfy my fancy.

Marriage, kids...thirty years passed. Well, last week I found and bought a pair of not-really-working CLS panels (one is split on one edge. The other about to but may work). So the plan is on. Of course the 80s are over chromed metal will instead probaby be brushed and clear powder coated nickel. Then...we shall see, I have to build a jig to stretch the mylar. Not too concerned...over the years I re-ribboned Apogees, built many veneered speaker boxes, amps...

Oh, one more thing. I plan on driving the panels with the OTL tube amps from the Acoustats (yes I lugged them around with me...to London and back amongst many other places, like a ball and chain). Should work...about the same size panels, capacitance.

Other than that...I run a fund that invests in hotels.

Hello to everyone!

Hi,

I had just finished college when the CLS came out. As blown away as I was, I did not get a pair. First, I already had a pair of Acoustat 3Ms to lug to graduate school, then wherever work led me. But there was something else too.

Over the years I figured out what it was: I would rather they looked like mirrors I had seen in 80s fashion shops, chromed metal in a dark red frame, like out of Macassar ebony, not black panels in oak. But I did not dare get a new pair, literally destroy the panels and hopefully rebuild them, just to satisfy my fancy.

Marriage, kids...thirty years passed. Well, last week I found and bought a pair of not-really-working CLS panels (one is split on one edge. The other about to but may work). So the plan is on. Of course the 80s are over chromed metal will instead probaby be brushed and clear powder coated nickel. Then...we shall see, I have to build a jig to stretch the mylar. Not too concerned...over the years I re-ribboned Apogees, built many veneered speaker boxes, amps...

Oh, one more thing. I plan on driving the panels with the OTL tube amps from the Acoustats (yes I lugged them around with me...to London and back amongst many other places, like a ball and chain). Should work...about the same size panels, capacitance.

Other than that...I run a fund that invests in hotels.

Hello to everyone!

Cool stuff - make sure each of the hotel lobbies has a ML Summit X

As promised

image.jpg

This is my first try running a (slightly) damaged CLS panel off an Acoustat Monitor 3 OTL tube amp. I guess just the fact that it worked on a first try is success. It actually sounds superb. Because of directionality of the panel, the sweet spot is right above it. I will erect it for a better listen but my first take is, it will require a slight reduction in the highs. The Acoustat panels might have been larger, with more bass.

Hi top tip, just purchased a refurb kit for my oddysys ,here in PERTH Western Australia,let me know if you have trouble getting the bits $170 aust. The mylar he sells is 3.5 thick?? half the thickness of the mylar in mine, so should sound a bit quicker. just build a frame with two curved ends to match the curve of your panels .
the mylar is tensioned from both ends at 2.5 pounds, start in the middle and tension along side the middle one ,until all done,set the sides with no tension, just pull the sides until all the wrinkles have been taken out.

Back