GOOD BYE Stage X, here is why----->

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silver305

Reaction score
Hi there,
As many of you know I had created a thread earlier regarding my issues with the stage x. I couldn't get it to sound good enough. I felt the midrange muddy or hard to understand at times. I called Martin logan and they had me make sure the panel was working (which it was). Long story short, I ended up buying a classe monoblock cam300 for it and tried to feed it more juice to see if it would open up, but no luck. I had it wall mounted and I STILL think it was NOT a good match/blend with my Montis. It was so hard to understand if I sat off to the side. It loses its "sweetpot" rather quickly which I will say that the MOTIF X did not do. I owned 2 motif x speakers and I didn't feel they lost their midrange the way the stage x did. I was happy with the motif x, but I assumed that the stage x would have killed it given its price difference and larger size. Boy was I wrong!
I gotta tell everyone here, the martin logan stage x IS NOT to be wall mounted. It DOES NOT do well mounted on the wall. The sound gets trapped between its panel and the wall which is only about a 10 inches away from the panel. I felt very unhappy with its design, terrible off axis performance. This is by far the pickiest and most difficult center channel to position. I IMMEDIATELY know when something is not sounding right. I would say that Martin Logan really needs to revisit this design and come up with something a lot easier to place. I talked to several audiophile friends and one of them actually told me he sold his stage x as well because he didn't like it. It appears that the large electrostatic speakers swallow the center channel when it is also an electrostatic panel of smaller size. I didn't believe it until I kept playing with my set up and eventually ended up giving up on it and returned it.
With that said, if you are thinking of making the move to the stage x, MAKE SURE you are not planning on mounting on the wall and that you don't sit too far off axis or you will be very disappointed. i actually believe the motif x sounds a hell of a lot better when wall mounted than the stage x. i think it has to do with its design which makes it sound so much better when wall mounted.
With that said, i am in the market for a good center channel to join my montis. Right now, i am considering these speakers, but i am open to other suggestions from those of you who have tried other center channels with electrostatics.

1. Paradigm C5 (A review is floating around that says it blends really amazing with electrostatics, but a friend says paradigm signature is garbage and overpriced)
2. Bryston TC1 (MONSTER 102 lbs center channel. Handles gobbs of power and has outstanding bottom end. however, not a single review by anyone and it gets no attention due to it being built by axiom)
3. MOTIF X (i have considered returning back to this unit because i wasn't really disappointed by it. i just wanted the larger stage x which ended up being a failure)
4. Monitor audio PLC 350 ( I thought since it has a ribbon tweeter that it could be a good match for electrostatics)
5. ...........

i am open to any other options that make sense. Look forward to your input and thoughts!

Last edited:
i just got off the phone with Bryston. i called them out on it and told him how do i know that their MASSIVE TC1 center isn't just an axiom speaker with a few tweaks and their response was that Axiom has an amazing facility with great quality controls and they have better economies of scale to build speakers than they do. They also told me that Axiom's center channel DOES NOT have 8 inch woofers like Bryston's and that theirs weigh 108 lbs vs Axioms' 55 lbs. Bryston uses their own drivers and crossovers. He said it is the same as saying BMW builds the 535 series and also the M5 but they have NOTHING in common other than the chassis. That makes a ton of sense to me.
He also told me axioms has rear ports and bryston's is a sealed unit which makes it perfect if i need to place it against the wall (which i do). He also said their dual tweeters would totally eliminate any problems with off axis problems since Bryston claims they have a huge soundstage and nobody in the living room would be left out.
i think the Bryston has moved to the top of my list right now. I have just a gut feeling that this speaker might be just what i have been looking for. i know the entire idea of mix and matching isn't ideal and mentally it kind of takes a toll on me, but i can't think of a better center right now.

I assume you tried StageX with out wall mounting ? If so, what did you think ?

If you are going to mix and match... You should consider salk audio... Specifically SoundScape C7 or C8... Not sure about the C8, but the C7 is ported but it can be configured to be ported to the back or the front... In case you want to wall mount.

Before considering ML, I almost pulled the plug on the SoundScape speakers... my understanding is the build quality is very good....

I assume you tried StageX with out wall mounting ? If so, what did you think ?

If you are going to mix and match... You should consider salk audio... Specifically SoundScape C7 or C8... Not sure about the C8, but the C7 is ported but it can be configured to be ported to the back or the front... In case you want to wall mount.

Before considering ML, I almost pulled the plug on the SoundScape speakers... my understanding is the build quality is very good....

i wall mounted it and it was terrible terrible. i am looking into the huge bryston TC1 center channel. Not sure, but it looks like it might be the best speaker for my set up.

I happened to have faulty Stage with panel section not working correctly. Once solved (soldering detached panel wire) it became the most resolving and musical center speaker I've ever had. I was not too far from Vista while used as center only. Not to even mention that even in stereo many of my guest are convinced that the canter speaker is actually playing. :)

I happened to have faulty Stage with panel section not working correctly. Once solved (soldering detached panel wire) it became the most resolving and musical center speaker I've ever had. I was not too far from Vista while used as center only. Not to even mention that even in stereo many of my guest are convinced that the canter speaker is actually playing. :)

mine was working and i did the test that i was told martin logan. It just wasn't clear enough when sitting off to the side so i sent it back. Now i am looking into a new replacement.

mine was working and i did the test that i was told martin logan. It just wasn't clear enough when sitting off to the side so i sent it back. Now i am looking into a new replacement.
Strange......sitting off to the side, the center channel is the clearest sounding! While being in the other room also center channel is the one I'm hearing the most...... Really strange is your experience with the Stage....

Strange......sitting off to the side, the center channel is the clearest sounding! While being in the other room also center channel is the one I'm hearing the most...... Really strange is your experience with the Stage....

I think silver mentioned that he wall mounted Stage... maybe that's why he had issues ?

How are you wall mounting the Stage? From what I've seen of other people's systems, they have the best results when mount above the TV angled down. I assume the angle help with the dispersion of the sound waves, sorta like how toe in works with the main speakers.

OK i saw your set up on your other post, maybe use something like this stacking shelf to go over your receiver and put the stage on top?

"Medium Flat Wire Stacking Shelves" from http://www.containerstore.com

MedFlatWireStckngShlvs_xl.jpg

direct link (might not work in the future): http://www.containerstore.com/shop/...Home/kitchenPantry?productId=10020480&N=77641

Back